Lap Steel

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
DeaconBlues

Lap Steel

Post by DeaconBlues »

Went to band practice lastnight and the bass player digs out an old lap steel and wants me to learn how to play it. I wound up playing it the whole 2 1/2 hours of practice time. What a hoot to play! I've always avoided these instruments because they were outside of my comfort zone. Playing wise they just appeared to be awkward to me.
I'll have to experiment to find the best height to sit and the right angle to hold the instrument and the slide bar, but I think this is going to be fun. :banana:
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
tombstone

Re: Lap Steel

Post by tombstone »

I've been thinking about picking up a lap steel recently, but I'm torn between getting one or a resonator.
I used to be tombstoneblues.
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

I have a resonator, but hardly ever play it. Not that I don't enjoy playing it, it just never seems to fit into what I'm normally playing. Reso's and lap steels are completely different animals, though. Same playing technique, basically, but different sounds/feel.
That boy ain't right...,

weelie

Post by weelie »

I'd love to learn lap steel, but assume it'd be very difficult to learn, I bet I'd be out of tune all the time. My leanings were in hawaiian or country as well as blues.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Drag it down Monday. :big_smile:
I can't play on my lap. :sad:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

I don't know if I'm ready to debut the lap steel, at least not for this Monday. I thought playing on my lap was awkward and dug out a stand for my wife's keyboards that works for standing up while playing the lap steel. I find that my movements with the bar to be more fluid while playing sitting down. :sad:

I'm surprised El Mano hasn't weighed in on this thread.
That boy ain't right...,

ElMano

Post by ElMano »

:wave: El Mano has reed the comments bur the last days i was very buzzy to fix my land rover. It leeks oil like hell. ( even for a English car :nuts: ) there was a cracked crankcase gasket and crankshaft seal was leaking. Because i was two months to late to claim. I have to pay it my self. Lucky i have the time and skills to fix it my self. A garage owner i knew well let me use his tools an give me a hand where i need it :high5: I am almost finished and the engine is running. Only now the starter falters sometimes, there's a need to be looked.

The lapsteel project is a bit on the back now. In the mean time i found a nice peace of wood to build the next project a neck tru Les paul with the scale of an Strat, (Thinking of started afther my holiday,s) I am traveling from the end of april till the first of juli true Europe most of the time to the south of France, Spain, Portugal, and back. Jus keep the ocean at the rightsite :think: So the Landy has to be reliaeble.
An other tim eating project i am buzzy with is supporting a internet radio station, promoting the Dutch bluesbands On air at sunday from 21.00 till 24.00 (dutch time) at www.futurefm.nl. But i am reading everything till so far :snacks:
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Hey, bud! Sorry to hear about your vehicle problems.

That sounds like quite the little holiday trek you have planned.
That boy ain't right...,

ElMano

Post by ElMano »

:beer: The landy ( Hippo ) is fixed, and run better than new. The starter was just a contact that was not tight enough Just cleans it and pinch it a bit. I was the rest of the day buzzy to make some wooden custom made combs for the blues harps :harp: and wooden cover plates. I give them away for a Dutch blues foundation who are raise money to donate at the children's cancer fonds. I hope some body will give a good prise at the auction. :dance: :harp:
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool