Coiled cables

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
kidtwist

Coiled cables

Post by kidtwist »

Hey guys. This is a pretty unimportant question but I'll ask anyway... I've always had straight instrument cables, but lately I've been thinking about getting a coiled one. The straight ones aren't really a problem gigging or jamming, but they always seem to get in the way in my room and can be a pain. Does anyone have good/bad/indifferent experience with a coiled cable?
Blindboy

Re: Coiled cables

Post by Blindboy »

I don't use them, but, for what it's worth, I've seen video of Jimi Hendrix using them. :big_smile:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

It's hard to find a decent coiled cable. The cheaper ones don't last very long without developing broken solder connections and really don't sound all that great. Lava Cable makes one that I'd like to try, but it's expensive.
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

I had one, the problem i had/felt was there is always a tention on the cable.
The cable is (like) one meter en when you go away more then that one meter your always pulling out the cable.

Duhh you think thats what is for, ok i though alsow

it's not much but you will definitely notice. , when the plug was eehh worn there came a annoying contact problem.
When the cable was right it was ok but a little to the left (with the guitar) and there was no sound or sound interference.

The brand was Yellow Cable and i was told that was a good brand, but after a mounth or 4 i replaced it for a normal cable and after a year or 3 i still use it.

I think theres always someone how has a story that the cable is a great invention, but my experience is; i will never buy a cable like that again.
sorry for my english
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
kidtwist

Post by kidtwist »

Well I guess I won't bother getting one then. It doesn't seem worth the hassle. By the way the I got the idea from seeing them in videos from the 60s (with players like Hendrix and Clapton). I guess there's a reason they don't use them anymore. Thanks guys
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

What are your preferences for cables? I started off with cheapo ones and then bought a Planet Waves cable that was like $40. How much tonal difference is there between price ranges and brands?
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:What are your preferences for cables? I started off with cheapo ones and then bought a Planet Waves cable that was like $40. How much tonal difference is there between price ranges and brands?
I don't hear that much difference between brands, my requirements are durability and repair-ability.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Thats right.

for me it was / is very important to me, without similar problems, to get with my wheelchair over it .
So the outer shell was thicker / stronger.
And the plug it zelfe is stronger. The cable goes in wite a spring soort of thing, the spring is around the cable, i hope you understand. :think:
I use "Hotline" and "Yellow Cable" and theye are standing for 3 years now. :thumbsup:

Oh theye cost around the € 35,= and that will be around the $25,= to $30,= i think, ans theye are 3 meters long.
I think thats around the 9 a 10 feet????
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....