Roadworn...

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
suco

Roadworn...

Post by suco »

Hi guys!

I'm going to buy a new guitar... (white american strat, rosewood fingerboard - gonna call it Snow White :cool: ), well I hope I get it soon.
As usual money is a problem :angry: Anyway I love roadworn series, but I don't want one :D I mean, there is something
hypnotic on damaged guitar what really gets me... So my question is: When I buy a brand new strat ( non-relic ), is it possible
to get that "relic" look overtime? I just don't know if it all can happend to a guitar wich is used in normal way, without any purposeful
impact by me or anyone else. I just can't think about that I take screwdriver or something and scratch it! :big_smile:

Hope I writed it down clearly, my english sucks and google translator is even worst than me :big_smile:

Thank you :D
MojoJim

Re: Roadworn...

Post by MojoJim »

Hi Suco,

There was a topic on the forum a few months ago by someone who distressed his guitar to make it look exactly like SRV's. But I don't remember who it was. I'll see if I can find it.

BTW, I think your English is very good.
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Suco, here's a couple of links you might find interesting:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=359&hilit=srv

and

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=369&p=3449&hilit=srv#p3449
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

Great question and links. What I want to know is how SRVs guitar got that distressed. Even if he played it 8 hours a day, that paint and laquer is pretty thick. Any ideas?
Let me tell you what the blues is....
weelie

Post by weelie »

the old guitars had nitro finish (pre-70s). It gets worn quite easily. The satin finished Highway One models have that kinda thin nitro finish. So I'd look for a used one of those, for example.

Of course there are some cheaper worn finished guitars too. Like "Vintage" brand, in the UK.
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

yes can be done over time. I know a guy who has a 71 strat. real deal. it is worn down from years of playing.. it was originaly a creme' colour, but due to playing under lights, sitting in the sun it has turned more yellow, and let me say, it looks amazing..
i have a strat that I have worn VERY VERY heavily, just because I could. here is a picture of it..

the purple one was originaly that aged yellow colour, then we painted it like that, a celtic cross with fire on the back side, and now it is (mostly) painted white... waiting for the rest of the paint and hardware but i dont really care at the moment because both those strats there are plywood. the SRV one, my "relic/worn" is more worn now and is actually a really good guitar.. I put the Srv on there with plain old masking tape as a homage to my idol, the man who got me into the blues, it isn't there now though, the knobs are "speed dials" off a les paul copy, (not in this photo) and it now has an aged white selector tip. I may have to upload a photo of how it looks now...
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

weelie wrote:the old guitars had nitro finish (pre-70s). It gets worn quite easily. The satin finished Highway One models have that kinda thin nitro finish. So I'd look for a used one of those, for example.

Of course there are some cheaper worn finished guitars too. Like "Vintage" brand, in the UK.
Thanks! That explains it.
Let me tell you what the blues is....
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

I second the Fender HWY One models. The thin finish will let you put your own wear on the guitar over time. Not so with the standard poly finishes used by most mfg. these days.
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.