Now - I'm not a Drummer, BUT .......

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
VikingBlues

Now - I'm not a Drummer, BUT .......

Post by VikingBlues »

Now, I'm not a drummer, but several weeks ago, this fell into my clutches:-
100_2674sm.jpg
100_2674sm.jpg (37.17 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
Funnily enough, within a few days ElMano posted his thread about building these things. I wondered about saying anything, but I was making such a complete klutz of myself trying to play the thing I though :think: maybe not -if I end up getting rid of it in complete failure I'll look a bit dumb.

EDITED 12 December:
Hmmmph .... I'm not sure things have got much better. :sad: So I'll mention it anyway - I can always keep quiet when I sell it! :whistle:

So - today I tried a full recorded piece and had a stab at a version of Matchbox Blues. Not that I know it very well but I couldn't be bothered doing my own lyrics to try out this drum thing.

:yikes: Ugggh - I'm struggling badly on timing using one of these drums - my sense of rhythm as a drummer leaves someting to be desired (mainly a sense of rhythm!).

Not helped that I had major problems with recording glitches and have had to compromise on the end product. Vista!!!!!!!! :motz: BUT - whatever I did with additional tracks the basic flaw remains - the core of the first track - "rhythm" guitar and "lack of rhythm" foot drum. So it was not so much Blind Lemon Jefferson as Myopic Cape Gooseberry Patterson. :eye_rub:

John Lee Hooker in particular, made playing using one of these look so easy. He didn't keep strict time - but I think I've suddenly become aware that - like a heartbeat - his rhythm naturally ebbed and flowed with the mood. My "heartbeat" with one of these things indicates someone needing a hospital appointment.

I don't know how the heck these one man bands manage to play all those instumments at once - too much like juggling knoves to me. Back to square one - now, where's a good backing track. :wall:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!