Pickups replacement for BB King tone

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
Rasha

Pickups replacement for BB King tone

Post by Rasha »

:icon_whoknows:

Hi blues musicians,

I have recently bought an epiphone BB King Lucille. I would like to upgrade the stock epiphone pickups and replace them with Seymour Duncan pickups. Which Seymour Duncan puckus would be the most appropriate replacement to sound like the Gibson BB King Lucille?

Your prompt response would be very much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Rasha
fenson

Re: Pickups replacement for BB King tone

Post by fenson »

SD pickups will certainly not be your best option to get close to BB tone... IMHO
Anyhow, before replacing pups think first of the wiring ( wire, pots & caps )...
Once you've done with it you'll probably notice a 'real' difference/enhancement with what you actually get :D
Not satisfied? Yet you migth eventually look for pups, let say: Lollar, Amalfitano (personal choice though) :icon_whoknows:

However BB's tone very much more comes from how his both hands make the strings to sound, his phrasing, and his inimitable vibrato...

Hope this helps
IF
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Welcome Rasha :welcome:

Like Fenson I think SD is not the first that comes to mind. However, at
https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/sho ... %20Lucille
there are some ways to do that.

BUT - wiring and solding in a semi-hollow is a real pain, think twice before starting. I have a Sheraton and the stock PU's can produce a BB-ish sound, but it's really in his fingers. The Epi Lucille should be able to get close enough without changing anything.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

If I were you, I would work on playing technique and amp settings before changing pickups. I have a Sheraton and really like how the stock Probuckers react with my amp. If you must change the pickups, try some Gibson 57's or Lollars.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"