Meet Red

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Meet Red

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Hey Guys, yes HBL is still alive though not kicking to much :)
Since playing the guitars causes to much mhh discomfort in my hands and wrists I need to sell my Ibanez Artcore and Yamaha APX.
I was going to replace them with a stratocaster complement to First Lady, my trusty Tokai Goldstar. ( Strats cause me less discomfort when playing)
Well before I even published the ads to sell of the other guitars I noticed an ad where this nice and cheap London City Spitfire MK2 (candy apple red) was put up for sale.
I made an appointement for last Saturday and went there. Testing revealed a nice guitar, in need of a good setup but very playable, so I decided to take it home.
In due time I will replace the neck pickup with a P90

Here she is, and axe called Red :)
LC Spitfire MKll LH CAR.jpg
LC Spitfire MKll LH CAR.jpg (4.32 MiB) Viewed 8808 times
Some random notes and licks to demo her sound in combination with Cybie ( tracks played with Red )
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Re: Meet Red

Post by VikingBlues »

Sorry to hear about the problems in your hands / wrists. This getting old lark plays hell with guitar playing doesn't it. :tears:

Red sounds very nice indeed on your recording. :clap:
It doesn't sound like a cheap guitar at all (I suspect no guitar would sound cheap when played by you).

Do you have any background on these guitars - doesn't seem to be much on the internet on an initial look and I've never heard of the brand.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks VB it is a well known mhh amp brand and they do guitars to
http://www.londoncity-guitars.nl/?product=spitfire-ii
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I didn't know that brand either, but it looks and sounds really good. How much is "cheap"? :thumbsup:

I hope your hands will let you still play in the future, a longer neck like on your Red may help. Maybe a lighter gauge or tuning down is another way to go. And we Bluesers still have the choice to use a slide... :fingerscrossed:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

150 ,- Euro for a used ( hardly played) guitar. New I think they are 229,- Euro.

I hope it helps Gerd. But looking at Sticklers Syndrome is influencing I'm not holding my breath and enjoying every playing minute to the max :)
Lighter gauge would ruin my tone, but if it's the only solution yes. Tuning down could also work :)
Slides ? mhh Maybe :)

Thanks !
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Just blocked Red's tremolo with a wood block. I also raised the saddles with one turn per screw.
May have to adjust the neck bend to. it's too straight now I think.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks for the info HBL - I see that they are from a business in the Netherlands which maybe explains why I haven't noticed the name before. Unfortunately in the UK if things aren't UK based or USA or Japan based in electric guitars they don't get so much publicity.

At those prices and with the sounds you're getting it seems that they are great value for money. :thumbsup:

The news about Sticklers Syndrome is a shock - I'm even sorrier to hear that. I think your view of enjoying what you can is wise.

I don't think I've seen anything in electric guitar strings like the lower tension but same gauge strings that can be obtained for acoustic guitars.

If you are still trying to play any steel string acoustic guitar I highly recommend Newtone Heritage Strings. A set of .012-.051 gauge only has a tension total of 131lbs (59kg) and for me they don't lose tone against their higher tension usual strings of that gauge (D'Addario at around 160 lbs (73kg)). Great sound and so much less strain on the joints. :cool:

Gerd is also right that tuning down can be a help as it keeps the usual string gauge.

Best of luck with your future on this anyway. :fingerscrossed:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

Nice looking guitar... at any price! Lovin the red.
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford