Replacing toggle on my Sheraton

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
12bar
Site Admin

Replacing toggle on my Sheraton

Post by 12bar »

Now I had some time to replace the faulty toggle switch on my Epi Sheraton. It's a Göldo EL002, but most of the switches look the same. It's open, not closed as the build-in one, so you can see how it works. Short story:

- cover the guitar to avoid solder on it
- mark and photo the old wiring so you know where the cables go to
- bend the contacts on the new switch (see photo). The two contacts in the middle have to be soldered together with the jack cable
- unsolder the old one
- solder the new one. For ground it may be necessary to extend the ground cable.
- put it back

It's not too hard to work through the f-hole, because the switch is nearby. Good luck.
Fix the cable
Fix the cable
toggle01.jpg (64.98 KiB) Viewed 12223 times
Old and new
Old and new
toggle02.jpg (68.18 KiB) Viewed 12223 times
Unsoldered
Unsoldered
toggle03.jpg (68.58 KiB) Viewed 12223 times
The new one
The new one
toggle04.jpg (103.66 KiB) Viewed 12223 times
Ground cable
Ground cable
toggle05.jpg (62.17 KiB) Viewed 12223 times
Finished
Finished
toggle06.jpg (65.17 KiB) Viewed 12223 times
VikingBlues

Re: Replacing toggle on my Sheraton

Post by VikingBlues »

A neat and tidy job well done :thumbsup: - I guess we're seeing why the f holes have that shape with the wider parts of the gap in the design.

Reminds me how, apart from joining the neck to the body, soldering was my least favourite part of building an electric guitar. :sad:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

To my surprise the soldering went quite easy, although it was a very cheap iron (10 Euro)...
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Nice tutorial Gerd.

Apologies if this seems like a dumb question but how did you know that the old toggle was faulty. I'm asking because I don't think my G&L Legacy (which I bought used) has never worked right. There's static or complete cutting out when I switch to the neck pickup. I suspect it's a bad contact in the switch but, having zero experience, also wonder if it's the pickup itself.

That was my first guitar and I rarely mess with it for that reason (I think the jack has some problems too :sad: ). I focus mainly on acoustic now so that I won't be distracted with all of the complications of electrics (pickup selection, guitar tone settings, amp setting, cords, etc.).

It's a quality guitar so I'm apprehensive to take it to some stranger who might permanently screw something up while attempting to "fix" it.
Cheers!
Mike

"A broken angel sings
From a guitar"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Don't fix it if it's not broken - as we say here... :lol:

The problem was simple: it didn't stay in the end positions, it switched back to middle as soon as you even looked at it. Sometimes it was in bridge position and during play it switched back to middle which was quite :wall:

The output jack is a very common source for problems, too, but you problem sounds more like a PU or toggle one as suggested. If you can take the toggle out it's easy to measure. Good luck!
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

A more common usage in my experience is:
"If it's not broken, fix it until it is." :big_smile:
Cheers!
Mike

"A broken angel sings
From a guitar"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Nice one Mike!! :lol:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Great job Gerd. Good on you
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks - I would think twice before changing anything that's not near the f-hole... :lol:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

:rofl:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....