Luthier workshop

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
12bar
Site Admin

Luthier workshop

Post by 12bar »

Hi folks,

I'm just back from a luthier workshop in the brand new music shop in my local town. The shop is a small one, but at least a place to get some strings or other things.
The workshop was about the different woods and how they are worked up in a guitar. It wasn't all new, but next time I know better were to look when buying a new axe. Got some tips for my guitars (yes each one had his guitar and it was reviewed together) and how to work through the f-holes of my Sherry. :phew:
A custom made acoustic from this guy starts at 2200,-, but strats and Paulas are also made.
He recommends Faith guitars if you need a good one below the 1000,- mark - I never heard of this brand before.

For those who can read a bit german: http://die-saite.de/
VikingBlues

Re: Luthier workshop

Post by VikingBlues »

Always a good thing to know as much as possible about what you might be thinking of buying - sounds like a very worthwhile workshop. :thumbsup:

2200 doesn't sound too bad a price for a custom hand built acoustic.

Faith guitars are part of Patrick James Eggle's empire. Acoustic guitars with the Patrick James Eggle label sell for 3000+ I reckon and are hand built in the UK. Faith is the lower priced end of his empire and are designed in the UK and hand made in Indonesia. Given how cheap they get the "hand made" claim maybe needs to be taken as more an indication of some hand made processes rather than the whole guitar being hand made.

But I've very rarely seen any bad things said about Faith guitars on guitar forums. Though I did find the "naked" version (stripped of all adornments and just a simple 2 stage satin finish) of the Faith Mercury Parlour, which was billed as "warm and sweet tone", to be harsh and cheap feeling. It was right at the cheapest end of the range I'll admit, but even then it didn't compete with others at that price level at all well for me. A major disappointment.

What's great tone for one player is bad tone for another of course - all subjective and a matter of just opinion.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!