Pickup Wiring

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
cruisemates

Pickup Wiring

Post by cruisemates »

Maybe one of you guys knows the answer to this question?

Why are Les Paul's and other Gibson guitars wired in such a way that the volume and tone controls are not separate for each pickup? Wouldn't it make sense to have one volume and one tone control for each of your two pickups?

That way if you put the switch in the middle you could blend the 2 Pickups the way you want, but it just doesn't seem to work that way. Why is that?

Here is another question. What is the recommended Humbucking pick up in the bridge position for out H S S Stratocaster?
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: Pickup Wiring

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

If I take a look at the following wiring diagrams, the controls are seperated by pickup.
Just in the switch middle position the controls always will influence each other.
http://www.guitardudeproducts.com/ZenCa ... chapter=41

Here is gibsons own page: http://www.gibson.com/Service/Tech/Schematics/

I changed the wiring on my LP copy the Avion, but only slightly. I can control tone and volume seperatly. Apart from the middle position using the tone controls they wil -again- influence each other.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
vancouverois

Re: Pickup Wiring

Post by vancouverois »

cruisemates wrote: Here is another question. What is the recommended Humbucking pick up in the bridge position for out H S S Stratocaster?
Fender and Seymour Duncan produce the Pearly Gates and Pearly Gates Plus for Stratocaster string spacing.
It is Fender Custom Shop designed, the Pearly Gates is Alnico II and the Plus is Alnico V.

I guess Fender fits the Fat Strat and Lone Star Strat with the Pearly Gates and Pearly Gates Plus.

...."Made with 50.0mm center to center high E to Low E spacing to accommodate the string spacing of American Series and American Standard Series guitars, the sound is fat and full, with balanced output that works well with single coil equipped instruments....."

Not exactly sure but It may not fit some strat with the vintage spacing bridge which usually is around 56 mm.
Jan 15th 2007