Egnater Tweaker and Cabinet

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Egnater Tweaker and Cabinet

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Next Saturday I'm gonna have a try-out and I guess purchase this used Egnater.
A little Toex damage caused by a sticker that was removed, that should be the worst :)
egnater tweaker 15 - 2.JPG
egnater tweaker 15 - 2.JPG (75.71 KiB) Viewed 14521 times
egnater tweaker 15 - 1.jpg
egnater tweaker 15 - 1.jpg (68.83 KiB) Viewed 14521 times
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Kalle

Re: Egnater Tweaker and Cabinet

Post by Kalle »

Hi HB
You know that I have an Egnater Tweaker 15 Head, that I like a lot..
But I have another speaker cabinet, an open back Crate 1x12" with Celestion G12-K100.
/Kalle

NB: There are two generations of the Tweaker 15, the first generation has a higher bias current/power dissipation on the power tubes.
Depending on the power tubes installed, it can be a bit too hot for the tubes..
In the second generation Egnater reduced the bias current to protect the power tubes, maybe a bit to much on the cold side.
Can only be seen when you open up the amp and check the value of a specific 10W resistor.
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ system) steelstring Dreadnought
Yamaha RBX 270 bass guitar with Laney DB150 amp.
Yamaha RGX 320 electric guitar with Egnator Tweaker tube amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

To be honest, I never heard of this brand before. From what I found on the net, a real gem - congrats! :thumbsup:
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Hi
The Egnater brand is not so common in Europe, sold only by a few shops/importers.
The Amps are designed by Bruce Egnater (renowned tube amp designer/guru) and manufactured in China.
The main feature with Tweaker is that you can "tweak" the sound (with different switches) from a clean Fender (USA) to an highly overdriven Marshall (Brit)..and everything in between..

But, sorry to say, they have had major quality issues with the power transformers in the high power amps (40W and up)...

/Kalle
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

All remarks and comments clear Kalle, thanks.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Meanwhile I got myself the Egnater and after some cabling and microphone positioning recorded a very, VERY quick demo.

Tokai Goldstar &
Channel 1 Rhythm guitar with the Gmajor serving a Tremolo only.
Channel 2 Lead stuff and the Gmajor doing the Reverb and delay

Did I mention the Gmajor is in the FX loop of the amp ?

:amp: :lefty:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

It's fascinating - even on my PC speakers it sounds as if you sit right here. So clear, crisp - just wonderful. :pray:
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

I listen from my laptop to my Line6 POD X3 PRO and out of the headphones. Clear, clean and close sound. :thumbsup:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks for the listen guys :)
I guess that close sound somehow has something to do with the mono sounds used as opposed to the stereo fx I normally have going on.
Mhh, there is a thought.....

Mhh tested with the Ibanez and once more I find I don't like the sound of that guitar through a tube amp, wierd.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Mhh tested with the Ibanez and once more I find I don't like the sound of that guitar through a tube amp, wierd.
We are no computers - sound technology has much more to do with the human ear and brain than with dezibel or frequency range. You know this quite well, your sounds are always ear-pleasing. :big_smile:
Playing with the tonelab I found some settings work better with the strat while others are only OK with the Sheraton.
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Hi HBL
May I ask which settings you on the Tweaker ?
Vintage ? USA ? Clean (of course) Normal ? Deep ?
and Bass @ 15 O´clock ?
The stereo sound of the recording is nice, through my nearfield monitors it is as sitting in your room.
And as usual , your playing is superb.
/Kalle
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

12bar wrote:
HalfBlindLefty wrote:Mhh tested with the Ibanez and once more I find I don't like the sound of that guitar through a tube amp, wierd.
We are no computers - sound technology has much more to do with the human ear and brain than with dezibel or frequency range. You know this quite well, your sounds are always ear-pleasing. :big_smile:
Playing with the tonelab I found some settings work better with the strat while others are only OK with the Sheraton.
I know Gerd, but it keeps amazing mee that whatever I try, I only like the humbucker sounds that I get out of my Cybertwin, While for the single coils I do happen to like Tube amps a lot. (to, sorry Cybie))
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Kalle wrote:Hi HBL
May I ask which settings you on the Tweaker ?
Vintage ? USA ? Clean (of course) Normal ? Deep ?
and Bass @ 15 O´clock ?
The stereo sound of the recording is nice, through my nearfield monitors it is as sitting in your room.
And as usual , your playing is superb.
/Kalle
Kalle, I think I remember recording the Rhythm track using the Brit - bright settings and the Lead track with AC and normal tone setting.
I don't remeber the treble-mid and Bass, although I tend to keep the bass around or even above 15 with brighter amp sounds.

The sound effect you think of as stereo is just a phase inverted left channel with a normal right channel recorder with the same mic. That creates a slightly wider sound effect.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

I have recorded a fast :) Demo of the different "amp choices" the Tweaker has.
Amp settings, only the amp type switch and the tone switch (Bright/Normal) changed settings between chord sequences
Tweaker 15 Demo settings larger.jpg
Tweaker 15 Demo settings larger.jpg (152.16 KiB) Viewed 14436 times
I did hookup 2 speaker cabs,

1 - the Kitty Hawk 12" Mic left lower corner, slighly pointed to the center
2 - the Egnater 12" Mic hanging from above, positioned between the left lower corner and speaker center
Both mics where active while recording at livingroom level !
Mics used are a Shure PG 57 (Egnater) and PG 58 (Kitty Hawk)

----Type-----------------Tone----------
1 - USA (Fender-ish) -- Normal
2 - USA (Fender-ish) -- Bright
3 - AC - Vox-ish -------- Normal
4 - AC - Vox-ish -------- Bright
5 - Brit - Marshall-ish - Normal
6 - Brit - Marshall-ish - Bright

Grumble, just noticed when checking the uploaded picture that the amp was on modern, not on vintage...... :wall: That was not my intention
Lucky me, all was still as it was, I only had to flip the amps standby switch to play and that :motz: :motz: Vintage modern switch to Vintage :tongue:
Here is recording two