Dual Microphones

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
VikingBlues

Dual Microphones

Post by VikingBlues »

About 6 months ago I tried buying a "matched" pair of Oktava microphones, but they turned out to be not so well balanced with each other and I didn't go for the tonal balance they had. They were returned.

I then got an Avantone CK-1 small diaphragm condenser microphone. Condensers being better for acoustic guitar, and small diaphragm considered by many to be an even better choice of condenser type. The CK-1 came with interchangeable capsules which gave extra possibilities - an Omni mic capsule is quite a bit different to a Cardioid one. I really liked the sounds captured by the CK-1 a lot. I found that I could use it with an AKG C3000 condenser I already had to do some rather decent dual mic stuff.

But I'd been wondering for a few months about getting a second CK-1 as I felt it would be an improvement for a dual mic recording. I've had a CK-1 in an on line shopping basket for a few weeks. I finally cracked yesterday and ordered it - and it arrived today.

I have done a test this evening. New mic with a Cardiod capsule and old mic with an Omni. My immediate thought on starting to hear the playback was - "why the hell did I take so long to get the second CK-1"??!! :think:

Beautifully rich sounds to my ears and this is just recording a cheap £230 guitar (310 euros, $350). There are no effects added and nothing changed on the EQ in the DAW - I've not even panned the two tracks apart for more body to the sound 'cos it just don't need it. :drool:
Would that the playing was as good as the sound! :lol:

I was playing in a room with lots of soft furnishings and the wall in front of the guitar was a good 15 feet away. So that's all natural reverb from the guitar in the recording. Cardioid mic pointed at join of neck and body in the traditional way, the Omni is directed towards the lower bout of the guitar but of course it's picking sound up from everywhere.

:music1: https://app.box.com/s/kiuj26kx8ozap6cqpof29h5gu62nwbzb

A poor quality picture - my camera doesn't like artificial light. The CK-1s come with very solid shock mounts.

I'm very, very happy with the way this is going!
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Re: Dual Microphones

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Nice to listen to, ol 'chap. Really nice, indeed.
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Hi VB, that sounds great! Very warm and clear sound, fantastic! I recently got to record some stuff with a pro sound engineer, and he used a matched pair of small condensers on my guitar - don't know what brand/model, but both cardioid, X-Y configuration. Think I'll have to get a pair for myself, rather than using a single larger condenser like I have been (double-tracking if necessary). The 2 mics give a wonderful, full, natural stereo sound. Your recording is a perfect example. :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Glad to hear your positive assessment Blackhorse. :D

I've been amazed how much extra body the dual microphone system can bring to an acoustic guitars sound - particularly with good quality gear. I had heard that small diaphragm were particularly good for acoustic guitar sound, and this pair certainly support that claim.

It's great being able to make a recording and feel no desire to change the DAW EQ or add any fx - not even reverb. :cool:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!