old sound from new stuff

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

old sound from new stuff

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Today I was messing with the Voxes :) , as in the little nighttrain and the stomplab.
I connected the Vox to the Yamaha speakers and started foolin' around with the stomplab.
At some point I got a thin, boxy distorted sound, which reminded me of the time when I did have an electric guitar, but no working amp.
T]ried everything in my house that could serve as an amp. Even a tapedeck, PA from a CB transciever etc.
The sound they gave me was about what I stumbled into today.
I recorded a quick sample for old time sake. nothing fancy or good, just plain thin boxy sounding guitars (2 * fat lady)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Re: old sound from new stuff

Post by 12bar »

Hearing this reminds me of Xmas way back when I got my first guitar - but no amp. :oldie:
Weekend plus holidays, no way to buy one, so I tried like you to get a sound out of it.

Lovely playing again and a great tone from simple gear! :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

The quality still shines through! :thumbsup:

I too remember (but only just) having an electric guitar but no amp - though I'm struggling to recall what weird and wonderful ways I found to amplify it.. I also remember doing the nearest I could get to multi-track recordings using a reel to reel and a cassette recorder. How quickly the recording quality was lost after a few re-recordings. :wall: Only one recording survives from back then - and it lived close to 40 years on a cassette tape which has not help the sound quality at all - very nasty.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

In a few years I played at Washburn and amplifier was a whacked Bass King. I stole the idea of a bass reflex speaker out of a magazine and made a drawing of it. A cabinetmaker please cut out the parts of the angles they would cut since I built bass reflex speakers.
Of this there was no good but it had to do.

Nowadays it becomes bad sound because I'm too impatient to adjust my amp and other things that belong to.