Vintage Viator Paul Brett

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
VikingBlues

Vintage Viator Paul Brett

Post by VikingBlues »

Just noticed I'd not introduced a recent addition to the family collection. A joint present to each of us on our 30th Anniversary last month.

There it is - in the middle. Dwarfed even by a small body Lowden and a parlour guitar! So you can say I've got 2 1/2 acoustic guitars either because of joint ownership of the Viator or just because it is so small.

It has an old fashioned sort of look about it that I like.

Upper Bout 195mm 7.7"
Lower Bout 280mm 11"
Waist 155mm 6.1"
Body Depth 77mm to 90mm 3" to 3.5"
Body Length 850mm 33.5"
Scale Lenth 546mm 21.5"!!
Nut NuBone Width 43mm 1.7"
12 frets to body
Solid Sitka Spruce top
Sapele Back and Sides
Nato Neck with V Profile and Rosewood Fingerboard

So - a normal width of fretboard but a very short scale at 21.5"and a tiny body. Incredibly easy to play after it was properly set up by the shops tech (I'll set up electrics, but I draw the line at, and don't do, acoustics). It has a surprisingly big voice and is suited to blues - the short scale length means string bends are much easier than an acoustic is usually.

I've had a few goes this last couple of weeks at electric blues with terrible results. Having a go with the Viator acoustic was at least a bit better - so I did a quick recording as I was testing out a new microphone anyway.
:music1:

Shambolic blues on a tiny acoustic!
Daffy Wee Blues.mp3 - (2.43 MiB)

Shambolic blues on a tiny acoustic!
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Vintage Viator Paul Brett

Post by 12bar »

A great sound for such a a little baby, seems ideal for traveling! It has a sort of resonator sound, great for Blues. Oh, and great playing btw.! :clap:
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

12bar allready said it. :thumbsup: :music1:

All I have to add is that it is a good song for play allong. :banana:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Cheers guys. :thumbsup:

I'm sure I remember Blindboy saying at some point that an OO guitar is often good for blues. I think though, other than body depth I've maybe gone a wee bit further down in size than OO with this!

It does like playing blues though - it's the one of my 4 acoustics I'd turn to for blues - except for slide which would be the resonator.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Great, somehow reminds me of the sound of those old blues acoustics. just enough metal in the sound to ask for some slide :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....