Revalver Blues

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
vancouverois

Revalver Blues

Post by vancouverois »

After experiencing some hiss with this software and my external cheap sound card, I've tried to find a workaround.
I use this external sound card because it has a Line In jack plug, the drawback is that it doesn't work with Asio drivers.

My computer has an internal sound card Asio compatible with just two plugs, headphones and microphone.
The microphone can work for recording but only if I boost the input by 20 Db, otherwise it sounds tiny.
The boost level produces some weird background noises. :wall:

Between the hiss and some background/interference noise...
There is a noise gate in the RV settings, I don't like these gates as they always cut the beginning of the notes so I didn't use this feature.

Here is a quick and dirty recording with Reaper and RV in VST mode (ValveKing 2nd channel), you can hear a kind of heartbeat :nuts: at the very beginning.
Though the sound of the guitar (Songbird neck PU) isn't that bad and without hiss :peace: , no post processing.

https://app.box.com/s/qer1jzdbxmrzioevonw3
Jan 15th 2007
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Revalver Blues

Post by 12bar »

Good results from RV! Sounds like you have found a way to get it working (like I had it back in the old XP days, when my line6 was just fine). :thumbsup:
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

"After experiencing some hiss with this software and my external cheap sound card, I've tried to find a workaround.
I use this external sound card because it has a Line In jack plug, the drawback is that it doesn't work with Asio drivers.
My computer has an internal sound card Asio compatible with just two plugs, headphones and microphone.
The microphone can work for recording but only if I boost the input by 20 Db, otherwise it sounds tiny."

Hi Vancouverios
Have you tested the free ASIO2 driver http://www.asio4all.com/ with the external sound card (USB2 ?) ?
It might work and reduce the latency that is a problem when not using ASIO sound driver.

If you are using Windows Vista or 7 (8)and Audacity (recording SW) you can try to use the "old" Audacity 2.0.4-alpha-Aug 18 2013 version that supports the Windows WDM-KS low latency driver (included in Vista-W7-).

I guess that you are using a Laptop with just one sound input ( Mic) and one sound output (Headphones).
But in some PC/Laptops it is possible to setup the sound input as Mic input or Line input
Right clic on speaker symbol down right and open recording units and check if it possible to select line input .

/Kalle
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ system) steelstring Dreadnought
Yamaha RBX 270 bass guitar with Laney DB150 amp.
Yamaha RGX 320 electric guitar with Egnator Tweaker tube amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Thanks for your input Kalle, really appreciated.

Sure I've tried the latest Asio drivers on the external USB sound card but no luck.
I can't record anything, it's mute, despite the Asio control panel doesn't report any problem
I remember a post you wrote about Audacity 2.0.4-alpha-Aug 18 2013 and it's the one I currently use.

The internal sound card works fine with Asio. The Mic input just lets me adjust the level of boost, I can't switch between Mic and/or Line in.
Otherwise the PV Revalver VST plug-in works fine In Reaper when I use the Asio drivers.
Just some little background noise but the VST works in real time while recording.
I have Win7 64 bit and I installed the 64 bit version of Revalver and Reaper to get more processing power. My usual 32 bit DAW does not have VST 64 bit support.
Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Your linked recording does sound as if you've found a successful technique for getting a decent recording. :thumbsup:

Your description of the obstacles and troubles of getting to that point remind me why I'm so reluctant to try to "upgrade" my existing recording set up, when what I have now does actually work. I used to enjoy wrestling with getting new gear / software to work on computers - I now hate it with a passion. :angry:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!