Software Amp Simulation

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
vancouverois

Software Amp Simulation

Post by vancouverois »

We were talking about VST amp sims a few days ago.
There is a good amp sim software produced by Peavey, Revalver.
It can be used in both standalone mode or VST with a DAW.
A while ago I tried the version MarkIII of Peavey Revalver, I had a lot of hiss and of course the audio drivers (Windows ones and Asio) running bad.

The version 4 has been improved, so I gave another try, and it seems to work better.
https://revalver.peavey.com/download
Still a bit of hiss, the USB sound-card I use is a very basic one and the guitar is just connected into the sound-card line in through a pedal just present for impedance purpose according to PV documentation. The pedal is actually turned off, no effect.

Of course a better interface than a pedal and in my case a better sound-card could certainly help to keep a good sound clarity without noise.
Plus PV lets the users buying only the modules they like, no need to buy unwanted features.
The modules not bought are still usable but produce a noise while playing as a "friendly reminder", an online registration gives free access to two amps modules, a cabinet sim and three effects.

Here is a quick recording in VST mode in Reaper, no post processing.
The first is the '60s Bluesbreaker (with the reminder noise), then a PV Valveking clean channel with its own reverb, then the valveking with a reverb effect added, the last has a tremolo effect added.
https://app.box.com/s/4we0btsf81luk4iu1clb
Valveking 100
Valveking 100
ValveKing.jpg (85.18 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
Jan 15th 2007
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Software Amp Simulation

Post by 12bar »

I've played with RV a while ago and had the same issues. It would be an option, but it's too much money for my taste.
ReValver 4 will need to be locked to a USB device to activate the license. This can be, amongst others, anything from a memory stick, iLok2 (or other dongle), audio interface or USB hard drive. Take care to register the device you wish to use going forward as switching a device is limited to lost, broken or replaced devices & cannot be done without contacting support.
Those things keep me away from buying! :naughty:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Certainly looks as if it could be a powerful and versatile beast if it can be tamed and got to work with the dreaded Windoze.

I liked the sounds you were getting from it. :thumbsup: Your demo appealed to me more than theirs - a shame there weren't more cleaner sounds on their demo on the page you linked - however that seems to be par for the course for electric guitar gear demos of any sort now - crank up the gain to the max! :wall:

I do like the idea of not having to buy modules that you don't want. But I think I would be rather put off by that need to lock the software to a USB device - given how often those devices stop working and need replaced or how often they get changed for something else because they're not as good as they could be. I'd also be worried about what happens if the support ceases to be available for some reason. But that attachment idea is maybe not as bad as DRM to be fair (I have resolved never to buy software again that uses DRM).
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

12bar wrote:
ReValver 4 will need to be locked to a USB device to activate the license. This can be, amongst others, anything from a memory stick, iLok2 (or other dongle), audio interface or USB hard drive. Take care to register the device you wish to use going forward as switching a device is limited to lost, broken or replaced devices & cannot be done without contacting support.
Those things keep me away from buying! :naughty:
Sure this is annoying to always have the USB stick available, not even talking about a failure, to unlock the software.
In my case it was to get at least the free modules without the reminder noise.
The drawback is that even if you have only one unregistered module in your virtual rig, the reminder thing starts.
VikingBlues wrote:Certainly looks as if it could be a powerful and versatile beast if it can be tamed and got to work with the dreaded Windoze.

I liked the sounds you were getting from it. :thumbsup: Your demo appealed to me more than theirs - a shame there weren't more cleaner sounds on their demo on the page you linked - however that seems to be par for the course for electric guitar gear demos of any sort now - crank up the gain to the max! :wall:
I'm trying to find a workaround regarding the hiss.
I agree, almost any demo of modern sounding gear is done at high gain settings even for clean amps, it's the trend but I wonder if one is able to tell an amp from another at high gain & distortion.
VikingBlues wrote:I do like the idea of not having to buy modules that you don't want. But I think I would be rather put off by that need to lock the software to a USB device - given how often those devices stop working and need replaced or how often they get changed for something else because they're not as good as they could be. I'd also be worried about what happens if the support ceases to be available for some reason. But that attachment idea is maybe not as bad as DRM to be fair (I have resolved never to buy software again that uses DRM).
I had a Line6 Guitar Port and to get access to the software updates the USB interface had to be plugged as the serial number had to be registered and checked online. A bit of a harassment, I sold it because it couldn't work with Win7 64 bit even after waiting something like one year of new driver "updates". Instead of developing good drivers they prefer locking down the user, so it's sold and I moved to another brand.
Jan 15th 2007