Vox LNT

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Vox LNT

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Vox Little Night Train.jpg
Vox Little Night Train.jpg (75.15 KiB) Viewed 7876 times
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Without words

Post by 12bar »

A Vox toaster? :think: :lol:

Looks :drool:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Nice looker - often they seem to be silver, but gold and black like this looks better to me. :thumbsup:

2 watts? Good one for the home people say.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Yeah Gerd, Toasting the Blues :)

rVB, Sorry, didn't notice the color myself, but it's the light that makes it look golden. It's just chrome.

Meanwhile I've played a bit. I've hooked it up to my 12"Speaker cab (80's Celection G12M75) and after some tweaking got a very very nice tone.
I remebered I had a Mullard nos 12AX7 laying around and put that in position 1. That tamed the bright beast a little.
Next will be the C19 (bright switch cap mod making it switchable) to loose a bit of the brightness that lurks around the corner when gain is turned up.

Sound demos are in the works

First lady loves this little amp. (1,5 ballpoint pen size)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: Vox LNT

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Got some time and recorded a short sound demo, clipped C19 and recorded another dirty demo.
During the recording I didn't notice the Gmajor was active with it's Reverb. I was a couple of meters away from my monitor speaker and in front of the Celestion 12"cabinet to judge the results of the mod and didn't notice the reverb :motz:

Any way, the Vox LTN in it's natural habitat:
vox setup.jpg
vox setup.jpg (275.91 KiB) Viewed 7835 times
Kitty is inactive, needs some TLC
kitty-cab-small.jpg
kitty-cab-small.jpg (99.36 KiB) Viewed 7835 times
and the quick (stiff fingers) sound demo.
first part is with C19 active and the second part with the capacitor clipped (one leg) Of course I turned the control knobs when opening the amp and clipping the capacitor's leg. So to be honest the Demo is crap for comparing sounds ( 2nd part, from approx. 1:42, way more drive (of course)) :wall: But for now, take it from me, I have more control space in the treble and gain settings of the amp now.

download/file.php?id=2953

Used gear : Tokai Goldstar -> Vox LTN (with Mullard 12AX7 nos @ V1) -> Celestion G12M75 cab -> SM57 & PG57 -> D&R Mixer with TC electroning Gmajor in send return loop (damn) ==--> PC

I have to conclude this is one sweet little amp, It's pretty loud for it's 1.5 watts into 8 Ohm (2 Watts into 16 Ohm) and I guess I can dial in all the sounds I like, from sparkling cleans to heavy overdrive with a lot of nuance in between.
Attachments

Vox LTN - Tokai Goldstar - Mullard 12AX7 nos (V1) - Celestion G12M75 - Demo.mp3 - (4.93 MiB)

VikingBlues

Re: Vox LTN

Post by VikingBlues »

Well, silly me about the colours! :big_smile:

I hadn't even noticed the ballpoint pen in the picture, which highlights the size very well.

It sounds amazing for such a small low budget amp - though I'm sure some of that credit goes to to the player, the guitar and the mods you've done. It certainly sings - and has something of the "Vox" sound - it does seem very responsive to what you are playing. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

I agree with VB that the guitar sing and I will add that you use right amount of dirty dist. Great sound...... :music2: :thumbsup:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks VB and Michael :)

Meanwhile I hooked up the Ibanez Artcore AKA Fat Lady :) and dialed in a tone I liked.
I've recorded a rather long test and jam session and managed to extract 2 minutes that sounded like the tone I had in mind. Not to Voxie I think but nevertheless quite a usefull slowblues sound. Never suspected the Artcore could sound like this.

download/file.php?id=2956
Attachments

Vox LTN - Ibanez Artcore - Mullard 12AX7 nos (V1) - Celestion G12M75 - Demo.mp3 - (3.02 MiB)

12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Funny how different the tastes are - I find the clean, sparkling tone from the beginning just outstanding, the last one a bit to airless (don't have the right word).
Your playing is still there btw. :pray: