New audio interface

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
12bar
Site Admin

Re: New audio interface

Post by 12bar »

Just an update - I've quit with Sonar because I can't get familiar with it. Too often the midi keyboard is not recognized or the guitar is not recorded or simple tasks don't work the way I want. Too many options hidden somewhere. As soon as the focus is on another window (like a browser with a YT video) it stops working because of the ASIO driver.

I'm back at the good old audacity :oldie: and for the midi I now use Ignite, which was included with the keyboard. I'm currently recording some background music for a holiday video, just some variations on a simple chord sequence with guitar fill added.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Some software is like that for me too - seems to work sometimes and not others and often is difficult to understand how to even do simple things. :wall:

Hope the new / old audacity / ignite combination does the job for you. :fingerscrossed:

I've been using the same Alesis iO2 interface / Magix Samplitude DAW for the past 5 years +. I've tried a few new things in that time and ended up defeated every time. I'm now reluctant to even try something else - I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it!
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

OK, here are the first results...
It's a bit too long for those who don't kayak, I had to fill over 18 minutes with sound. :whistle:
Entirely recorded using audacity and Ignite. Piano, strings, bass etc. are played on a MIDI keyboard with Ignite MIDI sounds. Here and there are some guitar fills, not much at all. You may also find some snippets from a well known classical piece. The rest is one simple chord progression over and over... :big_smile:
It's amazing how natural the instruments played on this tiny little MIDI keyboard sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce87Gxgi-JU
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Well - I have to say that Audacity, Ignite, your MIDI keyboard and guitar are working together so very well. :thumbsup:

The sound quality is good, volume is fine, no digital glitches to my ears. It's great what can be done using a wee MIDI keyboard and you've demonstrated that really well here. You obviously know your way around a keyboard in a way that I don't! It may have been a simple chord progression but what you did with it was very musical and pleasing to these old ears of mine. I did like the classical snippets - they were in context with what you were doing as well. :clap:

The guitar fills seem nice and healthy too, none of those volume issues that have plagued you more recently - hopefully means you now have a recording system that will mean we might hear a bit more of your guitar playing than for some time? :fingerscrossed:

BUT ... what a huge expanse of water and what a little tiny craft at some points in the film. Gave me quite a queasy feeling! :yikes:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote:Well - I have to say that Audacity, Ignite, your MIDI keyboard and guitar are working together so very well. :thumbsup:
Thanks! :shy:
VikingBlues wrote:The guitar fills seem nice and healthy too, none of those volume issues that have plagued you more recently - hopefully means you now have a recording system that will mean we might hear a bit more of your guitar playing than for some time? :fingerscrossed:
I hope so, but the volume problems are still there, I had to adjust the guitar audio level, it's still too low. After all this noodling I'm ready for some Blues... :bb:
VikingBlues wrote:BUT ... what a huge expanse of water and what a little tiny craft at some points in the film. Gave me quite a queasy feeling! :yikes:
A sea kayak is a very seaworthy tool, you can go out when others stay at the harbour. Once you flip over, you can roll up and keep on paddling. Some paddlers have crossed the Atlantic, currently a woman from Germany is paddling around South America, she has done this with Australia before...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzz25ngfeX4
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Man always wins over the machine, in the end. :oldie:
Good to hear some tunes from you. It is not often. It sounds good and quite rightly. Good in other words. Hope you get some spare time to play and upload some songs again.

Have a good one............. :dance:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

MichaelRobinson wrote:Man always wins over the machine, in the end. :oldie:
:lol: :high5: