New audio interface

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
12bar
Site Admin

New audio interface

Post by 12bar »

Well, finally I went to a big music shop (in the Netherlands...) and bought a new interface: A Roland Duo-Capture that comes with Sonar X1 LE. :banana:

Hardware is fine, clean tone perfect, no driver issues with win7, but I have no idea how to get a software amp working. :icon_whoknows:
Should be a vst thing, but currently it doesn't work. So I have to read the f*** manual I think.... :cry:
I hope there are some basic amps included :fingerscrossed:
VikingBlues

Re: New audio interface

Post by VikingBlues »

Hope it all goes well :fingerscrossed: .... the joys of wrestling with computers and software! :wall:

Is it the Duo Capture EX or the Duo Capture USB?
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

I have reaper and Windows 7., It works fine. Have you tried the reaper?
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

It's called "Duo-Capture mk2". Hardware is great, but I would love to get something similar to the old Gearbox.
Currently downloading Guitar Rig vst.

I tried Reaper years ago, Sonar is included so I will try this first.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Congrats Gerd,
VST's are plugins that you should activate and choose in Sonar X1

Looking forward to hearing sounds coming from your side.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:VST's are plugins that you should activate and choose in Sonar X1
I know, but so far no luck. No useful guitar vst's included. I tried guitar rig, which is working as stand-alone program, but not as vst. I see the signal, but don't hear anything. I have to go through all settings.
The funny thing is, that like with line6 it's not possible to adjust the volume via Windows.
Sonar seems to be not very intuitive... :think:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Sorry to hear you're struggling on this - don't know Sonar at all I'm afraid, so I can't advise. I notice Rolands own website seems very lacking in help.

Some music software programs are much more intuitive than others, and some need a great deal of input from the user to get what should be simple things working.

I recall when I tried doing this sort of VST thing I sometimes had difficulties in getting the DAW to look in the right place for the VSTs. In some instances I had to end up copying VSTs from their own software location to one that the DAW could find.

We really shouldn't need a degree in computing to be able to play and record music! :angry:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

OK, the ASIO wasn't enabled by default - twas hidden deep in the settings. I now hear guitar rig through Sonar with low latency. :dance:

Unfortunately I still can't adjust the guitar volume via Windows, only using the controller on the DI box. So far it's not better than my old system.

Update:
This is to be the way it should be - ASIO usually bypasses the windows volume mixer to achieve the low latency. It did not with XP, but this seemed to be the exception. Audacity seems to have problems with the ASIO volume control resulting in unstable volume settings.

Now I have to decide whether to go back to my line6 system (lots of amp models but volume issues) or the new one (learn the new program, lack of vst amps). :snacks:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I removed the new interface, I just can't get a decent amp simulation out of it. I tried several free amp vst's, but they are all quite limited or don't work at all and freeze Sonar.
Currently I'm trying the combination of my line6 toneport together with Sonar. First results were not bad. Sonar seems to handle ASIO better than Audacity. It's just that you have to learn the simplest things again and get lost in it's millions of settings.
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Hi Gerd
Audacity don´t support ASIO sound drivers, has never done.
If you are using Windows Vista or 7 and want to use Audacity with lowest latency you should use Audacity 2.0.4-alpha-Aug 18 2013.
It support Windows WDM-KS wich gives a low latency.
You can find that Audacity version here http://gaclrecords.org.uk/win-nightly/
"On a very few machines, the Windows WDM-KS low latency host caused Audacity 2.0.4 to hang or the computer to crash. WDM-KS has been removed from Audacity 2.0.5 while we work on safely enabling this host. WDM-KS will still be available for testing in the Windows alpha development builds."
Audacity does support most VST plugins , but I have not tested Guitar Rig SW.
/Kalle
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ system) steelstring Dreadnought
Yamaha RBX 270 bass guitar with Laney DB150 amp.
Yamaha RGX 320 electric guitar with Egnator Tweaker tube amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks Kalle,

I've read this before, but the funny thing is that with XP I never had these problems, the ASIO came with the line6 driver.
As soon as I have some more time I'll go deeper... :music1:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

An endless story...
I tried to focus on Sonar LE, because it supports vst. The free vst amp sims are very restricted, Amplitube Custom Shop refuses registration (hitting "done" after entering all the keys and nothing happens), guitar rig was nothing but noise so I thought I could use Pod Farm via vst to get rid of the volume problems.

Bad luck - the older red faced toneport models don't have a vst license! :motz:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Slowly I'm getting more and more into it, sometimes hearing nothing, sometimes excited about what comes out of the speakers. So many options...

Impressed by the included synthie sounds I ordered a MIDI keyboard (M Audio Keystation Mini 32) and played my very first bass line to an older tune of mine. A whole new world has opened. Drum kit, bass lines, piano - everything seems possible if I work through the f**** manual. :dance:
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

You're talking to yourself. Who rescues you from your approach to your dilemma? Have a great battle with your program that does not work according to your plans.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

It's not the programs fault - it's just a very big one I have to learn. Sometimes I see the volume markers moving but hear no sound, something that has to do with routing the channels to the right place. I'm sure I'll find it out. One day... :oldie:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote:It's not the programs fault - it's just a very big one I have to learn. Sometimes I see the volume markers moving but hear no sound, something that has to do with routing the channels to the right place. I'm sure I'll find it out. One day... :oldie:
I admire your being so calm about it all! :thumbsup:
I think I'd be a ranting gibbering maniac. :nuts:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

First recording try, very repetitive... :whistle:

Sonar X1, guitar with amplitube free via vst, strings and bass played on midi keyboard using Sonar softsynth. Simple chord progression, not (yet) any solo notes. Ambient...

download/file.php?id=2829
Attachments

sonar_1.mp3 - (1.31 MiB)

vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Very good beginning, a bit prog rock to my ears.
Hope to hear more like that! :clap: :thumbsup:
Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Good to hear you're now getting sounds and vsts to work on the new system. :thumbsup:

You're right about the whole new world opening up with the MIDI keyboard, but it's a shame the learning curve on this things is so steep. I find if I have to think at all about the technology when I'm using to record than creativity evaporates and goes away. Different parts of the brain needed maybe, or maybe I'm bad at multi-tasking.

Good luck with your progress on this! :fingerscrossed: