Line6 Blues

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
12bar
Site Admin

Line6 Blues

Post by 12bar »

As you might know, I'm fighting with the Line6 Toneport GX under Windows 7, and I'm not alone. Gearbox is no more supported, Pod Farm is the new alternative, but an update costs as much as a new Pod Studio - together with Pod Farm 2. My son wanted an interface, too, so I ordered the Pod Studio UX with Pod Farm 2 and thought of updating my old GX software also. :big_smile:

Never again. The fresh box (new, not a used one!) came from Thomann and I was wondering why I didn't read anything about Windows 7 on it (I mean, we have 2014!).
To get drivers for W7 you need an online connection, to get out of the demo mode for the Pod Farm, too. You have to register your gear online to get it working!
OK, I did and tried to use the Pod Farm 2 with my old GX, but it doesn't work. It's hard coded in the GX, no Pod Farm 2 for it.

I installed Pod Farm 1, which is possible, and with it some new drivers. Now with everything updated to the latest version I get a crackling sound every 10 to 15 seconds if there's a browser with a flash video (youtube) opened. The volume problems are still the same - no way to adjust the volume via windows. :wall:
jokron

Re: Line6 Blues

Post by jokron »

I have had some issues with soundcards too, not only Line6, but I found out that I had to go to the Control Panel>Hardware and sound and inactivate the internal soundcard of the computer to get rid of those crackling sounds.

Hope it helps!

/Jokron
I was looking for the perfect guitar, I found it...but...I ran into trouble...it was looking for the perfect guitarist...
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

bellogi wrote:Can't help here, since I've almost nearly used Windows ;-)
Just a question, have you ever gave a try to Linux?
I use it, but not at home, to few programs for my hobbies. And even less drivers for special sound hardware.
jokron wrote:I have had some issues with soundcards too, not only Line6, but I found out that I had to go to the Control Panel>Hardware and sound and inactivate the internal soundcard of the computer to get rid of those crackling sounds.
This was the first thing I did - no success.
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

I also encountered a similar problem when I had the USB GuitarPort.
With XP it worked fine, with 7 and at the time only a few drivers available on their site it was only popping and crackling.
May be the Asio drivers can help? :icon_whoknows:

I also remember reading on the web that only Win7 32 bit was doing fine, the 64 bit version seems to do not work properly.
Can you return the gear to Thomann or may be find a computer running XP?

On the other hand, the VOX Tonelab works fine in USB mode with my W7 64 bit, just need to install a driver.
I still prefer to use it directly plugged to the Line In of my external soundcard, as it seems to sound better this way.

USB may generate problems, my cheapo mixer in USB mode rumbles like a diesel engine and has a bad background noise.
Plugged in the Line in of the soundcard things are more or less Ok, just a bit of hiss.
I wonder if some onboard USB controllers are better than others? :whistle:
Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Rotten luck - again - not to get a solution to your problem. :sad:

I can only sympathise - no idea what would be a solution.

Although I still use a Windows computer for recording I've gone right off the idea of using it in any other way than using an interface that works, but is only an interface. All sound shaping etc can then be done before the computer takes a hold. NOT that finding a good compatible interface is always easy. :roll:

Even if I get a piece of modelling gear that's supposed to work directly by USB with the computer I'll still just use its line out into the interface just to avoid the headaches. Same with amps - I hate the hassle of amps that are geared up to work plugged in to a computer - HATE - HATE - HATE!!!!! :angry:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

vancouverois wrote:I also encountered a similar problem when I had the USB GuitarPort.
With XP it worked fine, with 7 and at the time only a few drivers available on their site it was only popping and crackling.
Yep - I'm not alone, but line6 doesn't help.
vancouverois wrote:May be the Asio drivers can help? :icon_whoknows:
No, I tried...
vancouverois wrote:Can you return the gear to Thomann or may be find a computer running XP?
No option - I need W7 (XP is no more supported), and the UX box works OK. My son won't give it back.
vancouverois wrote:On the other hand, the VOX Tonelab works fine in USB mode with my W7 64 bit, just need to install a driver.
I still prefer to use it directly plugged to the Line In of my external soundcard, as it seems to sound better this way.

USB may generate problems, my cheapo mixer in USB mode rumbles like a diesel engine and has a bad background noise.
Plugged in the Line in of the soundcard things are more or less Ok, just a bit of hiss.
I wonder if some onboard USB controllers are better than others? :whistle:
Without the volume issue it's a great hardware and software, small for my little desktop, no more hardware needed, everything can be done with my mouse, and the sound is OK.
I don't understand why they don't improve their damn drivers and also why I have to register my HARDWARE in order to get it work with the software. I mean, the software doesn't work alone, you have to buy the hardware so they get the money.
jokron

Post by jokron »

Have you tried to only install the drivers for the soundcard and skip the POD Farm installation? You could download and install IK MUltimedia Amplitube Free and get some descent sounds out of the free amps, cabinetts and effects...

...or maybe you have memory problem (or to small RAM) so when you play YouTube and UX together the computer cannot handle the amount of data properly?

Another thing to try is to change USB-port, I had some problems with my computer when I had to many things in different USB-ports...

Do you have a PCI graphics card installed? I have read somewhere that if you have W7 64bit it tries to use some graphic card memory for data processing if it's available...don't know if it's true, but I get some problems similar to this when I run two screens on my graphic card.

Just trying to help...

I solved my issues by giving away my Line6 UX-card to a grandchild and bought Steinberg UR22 instead. I run Boss GT-100/Line6 POD HD through through the line inputs instead of through the USB-connections so it doesn't use that much CPU-power, need that for Superior Drummer and Halion Sonic. I can also use the VST Amp Rack included in Cubase. By the way, if you buy the UR22 you get a descent DAW Cubase AI that includes a light version of VST AMP Rack...

/Jokron
I was looking for the perfect guitar, I found it...but...I ran into trouble...it was looking for the perfect guitarist...
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I tried so many things I can even remember... :nuts:
The PC is fast, has 6GB of memory, separate graphics, build-in soundcard disabled in BIOS, I have installed and uninstalled the drivers dozens of times.
I you google: line6 "windows 7" problems you'll find lots of problems...

Maybe I really need of new interface. The Steinberg is on my wish list. It has good reviews everywhere.