Les Paul Project Diary

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
ElMano

Re: Les Paul Project Diary

Post by ElMano »

:drool: :drool: :drool: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :chicken: :chicken: :chicken: :dance: :dance: :dance: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: I love the way she looks and i am very curious to the sound. Did you get all the frets at the right hight? and what about the action etc... I looking forward to hear the tone. :bb:
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
bluesblooded

Post by bluesblooded »

Very nice guitar, well done :thumbsup:

Are you happy with the GFS pickups?
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

ElMano wrote:Did you get all the frets at the right hight? and what about the action etc...
I used your suggestion of gluing a piece of emery cloth to a flat file and leveled the frets. That worked very good. I think I still have one that is a little high, but I plan to work on it later on. I took the completed guitar to a local repair shop to have a look and he adjusted the truss rod, raised the low E string nut groove a bit and told me to shim the neck a bit. I did the shimming but plan to add a slight bit more. The action is quite low right now and it seems to play well but I plan to check it using VB's instructions. I haven't done that yet. I will probably tweak the set-up a bit more as we play it and decide what needs to be adjusted.
Bluesblooded wrote:Are you happy with the GFS pickups?
ABSOLUTELY... I love the sound. Mind you, I am certainly no expert on how a guitar should sound but I really like the sound from these GFS pickups. I promise... you will get a sound bite soon. I am out of town this week so it will probably be next week before we can get it posted.

Later...
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
aggiefan

Post by aggiefan »

Since golfxzq is out of town i have the les paul with me. I have fooled around with it and it sounds great. These are great sounding pickup for the price. :thumbsup: The fat pats are really smooth going clean to fuzz face type tones. Cant wait to post a soundclip of the guitar with golfxzq! :bb:
deejaid

Post by deejaid »

Great job guys. You've rescued a guitar that might have otherwise been scrapped. And what's even better is you got to work on it together. You should be very proud to own such a great guitar! Congrats!
mdymond

Post by mdymond »

Your guitar is a sweet makeover, I just reworked one just like it last week. The Guitar in question looks identical to the Memphis I just did. The headstock and tuners look identical. I estimate the year to be somewhat 70's. The capacitors were also sam hwa 2a473. That's how I found your Les Paul project. By The way very nice job.
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

I hadn't seen this thread before so a very belated congratulations to you both on a job well done.
I didn't see any sound clips in the thread, did you ever get anything recorded with it?
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
aggiefan

Post by aggiefan »

We recorded on but it is posted on a different thread. :dance: