... and a Mandolin!

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
VikingBlues

... and a Mandolin!

Post by VikingBlues »

Yet more distractions to my musical focus. But for a change GAS maybe alleviated / reduced at pretty well zero cost.

Salvaged by my Mum from the back of a cupboard - a Mandolin that must be at least 30 years old! My late father was very reluctant to throw anything out.
100_0534sm.jpg
100_0534sm.jpg (227.32 KiB) Viewed 9997 times
No labels inside - no logos etc on the headstock / back of the headstock.

Does have the following inscribed on the body:-
Tannhauser
GES.GESCH.
100_0531sm.jpg
100_0531sm.jpg (211.09 KiB) Viewed 9997 times
I quickly ordered some new loop strings. The ones that were on it must have been at least 20 years old, so I didn't dare to try to tune them - there'd be flying metal everywhere. Surprisingly it sounded not too bad even with dirt ridden old rusted strings on it. Had been stored zipped up in a proper mandolin bag which helped. Not really any scratches / damage that I can see.

My researches suggest it hails from Markneukirchen in Saxony.

http://www.mandolinluthier.com/german_m ... makers.htm
This site has the following:-
"A surprising fact is that Germany, despite its high population density, still has 29% of its land mass covered by woods and forests. It is probably for these climatic and geographical reasons, that during the last century, the European country most famous for producing mandolins after Italy, was Germany. During the period of the existence of E. Germany, there was practically a factory-scale production of instruments around Markneukirchen in Saxony. Sadly, due to the principles of the regime, individual luthiers, some of whom were excellent, were prohibited from putting their names in their creations. Thus there are many German mandolins still in existence, and amongst them, some of excellent quality made by master luthiers. "

So it would appear East Germany, at least 10 years before the Berlin wall came down, is birthplace of the mandolin.

Elsewhere on the same site we have a page about domed mandolins.
http://www.mandolinluthier.com/Garchbacks.htm
"These arch back mandolins are typical of many made in Germany in Markneukirken. The back is often made in contrasting woods, and is domed."
The pictured examples of this type of Markneukirken mandolin are very much like mine. There are too a couple of pictures specifically labelled Tannhauser.

However given the part I've highlighted in bold above - "Sadly, due to the principles of the regime, individual luthiers, some of whom were excellent, were prohibited from putting their names in their creations." - it would appear highly unlikely I will make any progress on finding who made the instrument. :icon_whoknows:

The sound is not at all bad with the new strings on - very clear and ringing. But - wow - the fretboard is so damn tiny. I will maybe get some sound samples for opinions at some point. As for tuning and chord shapes etc - there's some more homework for me. But ... not much scope for use as a blues instrument I'm afraid.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: ... and a Mandolin!

Post by 12bar »

Looks like it's in a good shape - I'll try a little search in German, maybe I find something...
Congrats!
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Nice looking instrument. Just happened to be listening to a killer version of Arabia by a Jerry Garcia / David Grisman collaboration with Grisman ripping it up on mandolin as I read your post. Can we look forward to hearing some uploads from you in the future?
Cheers!
Mike

"A broken angel sings
From a guitar"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote:Looks like it's in a good shape - I'll try a little search in German, maybe I find something...
Congrats!
I've had a good look over the mandolin and it does look in excellent condition - though the fretboard could probably due with a bit of cleaning at the next string change. A couple of the machine heads were a bit reluctant to turn that easily too.

I would appreciate your doing a little search if you can spare the time! :D I got put onto Markneukirchen by an article in German that someone sent me - though Google translate does a less than perect job! Until I did more searching I thought at first reading that Mark Neukirchen was a person due to the translation.

The original was:-
ich will mal versuchen "Meister Tannhäuser" etwas Leben einzuhauchen. Dahinter verbirgt sich der Instrumentenmacher (Gitarrenmacher?) und Händler Richard Dick. Die Lebensdaten habe ich leider noch nicht. Wie sooft hier in Markneukirchen dienten die Anfangsbuchstaben des Namens als Signum (Brandstempel/Zettel). Die Firma wurde 1885 in Markneukirchen gegründet. Es war lt. Eintragung im Weltadressbuch von 1926 ein Musikinstrumenten- und Saitenversand in der Erlbacher Straße 842. Im WAB (1932) war der Firmensitz in der Apian-Bennewitz Straße 847 B, und dort steht: "Streich- und Blasinstrumenten-Fabrikation und Handlung". Zupfinstrumente wurden jedenfalls dort in der Werkstatt gebaut, bei Blasinstrumenten war "RIDI" wohl nur Zwischenhändler(?). Die Inhaber der Firma waren jeweils Richard und Bruno Dick. Gitarren erhielten so schöne Namen wie: "Tannhäuser", "Arion", "Die kleine Leise" oder "Walter vd Vogelweide".
Jetzt könnte man noch einen kleinen Roman dazu schreiben. Es wurden später ua Tennisschläger gefertigt, die Familie ging in die BRD usw. Aber das führt hier zu weit. Wäre wohl etwas für "Ost-West Gechichten".

Not sure what website the article came from though.
Translated by Google translator as:-
i will start to try to breathe some life "Master Tannhäuser" . Underlying this is an instrument maker (guitar maker ? ) Richard Dick and distributors . The Life-history I have not unfortunately . As so often here in Mark Neukirchen served the first letter of the name as Signum (fire temple / list ) . The company was founded in 1885 in Mark Neukirchen. It was according to the entry in the global address book from 1926 , a musical instrument strings and shipping in the Erlbacher Road 842 In the WAB ( 1932) was the Company's headquarters in Apian - Bennewitz Road 847 B , and it states: " String and Woodwind production and action." Plucked were in any case built there in the workshop, in wind instruments " RIDI " was probably only intermediaries (?) . The owners of the company were both Richard and Bruno Dick. Guitars were so beautiful names like " Tannhäuser ", " Arion " , "The Little Quiet" or " Walter vd Vogelweide " .
Now you could write a small novel to do so. There were later made ​​including tennis rackets, the family went to Germany , etc. But this leads us too far . Would be something for "East-West Gechichten " .

MikeL wrote:Nice looking instrument. Just happened to be listening to a killer version of Arabia by a Jerry Garcia / David Grisman collaboration with Grisman ripping it up on mandolin as I read your post. Can we look forward to hearing some uploads from you in the future?
There could be some uploads - if I can get my head around the altered tuning and the small fretboard. :wall: Whether you should look forward to hearing the uploads is another more difficult question!! :rofl:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

The quote came from the internet forum of the museum in Markneukirchen:
http://museum-markneukirchen.de/forum/v ... 811&p=2557

The city of Markneukirchen has a museum of musical instruments, their website is:
http://museum-markneukirchen.de/zupf.htm

Markneukirchen is well known, because Johann Georg Martin started his business there, and his son Christian Friedrich Martin emigrated to America, the rest his history...

Tannhäuser is a well known opera from Richard Wagner and has been used to name different instruments, there are also guitars with this name. The anonymity of the GDR makes it hard to get more information.

Maybe a post in the museum forum above (or a visit of the museum) will give more information. I can translate your post, if you want.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

One very small soundbite. A simple Scottish Slow Air - "Ashokans Farewell" (Jay Ungar) from Nigel Gatherers Mandolin Site

Not blues :whistle: but it'll give a quick idea of the sound. One part playing chords, the other on lead. Simple chords thankfully : D,G,Em,C,A.

download/file.php?id=2683

It's nice to let an instrument sing after so many years. Also a strange but good feeling to have an instrument played by my late father - though he never really got the hang of the mandolin - his speciality was keyboards (piano and clavichord) played to a high standard very well indeed.

Just noticed your research post above Gerd - not time to look just now - going to work - will look later .... many thanks in advance! :D :thumbsup:
Attachments

First Test of Tannhauser Mandolin-Ashokans Farewell
MandolinTest1-Ashokan Farewell.mp3 - (907.16 KiB)

HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

SWEET ! Nice instrument and a astonishing soundclip ! well done.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote:The quote came from the internet forum of the museum in Markneukirchen:
http://museum-markneukirchen.de/forum/v ... 811&p=2557

The city of Markneukirchen has a museum of musical instruments, their website is:
http://museum-markneukirchen.de/zupf.htm

Markneukirchen is well known, because Johann Georg Martin started his business there, and his son Christian Friedrich Martin emigrated to America, the rest his history...

Tannhäuser is a well known opera from Richard Wagner and has been used to name different instruments, there are also guitars with this name. The anonymity of the GDR makes it hard to get more information. With it being his first fretted instrument I'm guessing my Dad will have gone for a decent solid quality instrument at the budget end of the market - so no likelihood of a famous luthier methinks!

Maybe a post in the museum forum above (or a visit of the museum) will give more information. I can translate your post, if you want.
Thank you for looking at this for me - much appreciated! :thumbsup:
But I think that I have probably found out all I will be able to. As you say the anonymity of the GDR makes it hard to get more information. :sad:

I would say that the pictures on the http://www.mandolinluthier.com/Garchbacks.htm link show pretty decisively that my mandolin comes from Markneukirchen. The first mandolin on the second row of the pictures is almost identical, and the styles of patterns on the back of those pictured are very much in the same ballpark - my one is quite like the second picture on the first row except the alternating dark and light browns in the ray pattern are just plain colours and have no patterns within them.
HalfBlindLefty wrote:SWEET ! Nice instrument and a astonishing soundclip ! well done.
Thank you HBL! :shy:

I really don't know how accurate the rendition of the Slow Air was. I don't listen much to that type of music and certainly don't play it, but I quite enjoyed recording it.

I suppose I need to find some sort of arrangement for acoustic guitar, resonator, uke, 12 string and mandolin! Just as well I got a new condenser microphone to replace my old faulty one.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Just an update with what's going on with the mandolin! :yikes:

The Rakes of Mallow (10 days ago : 1 minute 30 seconds) : a simple little ditty
:music1: https://app.box.com/s/i06277icx69z1829fzui
Resonator, Mandolin & Bass

The Road to Lisdoonvarna (Today : 1 minute 15 seconds) : slightly bigger production
:music1: https://app.box.com/s/s0k6btcrri3nrowdlv8g
TW73, Mandolin (x2) & Bass

I think I have a long way to travel down this road .... and I must start doing some Scots tunes in this attempt to play "celtic" style.

I am enjoying not using backing tracks, but falling back on just using my own resources is a bit scary. Enjoying playing bass again, but hellish rusty at it.