'The' Acoustic guitar. The final? quest.

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
bluerebel

'The' Acoustic guitar. The final? quest.

Post by bluerebel »

Hi Guys,
I hope that you can help me out here, been searching for a really good acoustic guitar. I have never owned a really great acoustic guitar, I mean really really great acoustic that you reach out, your go to guitar. Have a couple of inexpensive guitars, but they are okay. I have been looking at a couple of Washburn, Takamine. Fender, Epiphone.
But they are all sound a little too bright. They lack the kind of bluesy warmth I am looking for, am I making sense? Or is this quest futile.
What should I be looking at please help....
12bar
Site Admin

Re: 'The' Acoustic guitar. The final? quest.

Post by 12bar »

:welcome:

You've already checked some good brands, so if you really need the nonplusultra you might end up with a Martin. :drool:
But maybe you're searching a resonator or National?
bluerebel

Post by bluerebel »

Hey... Not really looking for a resonator or a national....right now :D
But just looking for a really great acoustic. Wow! A Martin would be great but we don't get them here in India.
Should I be looking at small body parlour guitars?? I really want those nice warm midrange tones. The larger body guitars just sound too bright to me.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I wish I knew more about acoustic guitars so that I could be of more help - but I've only recently started playing / taking an interest in them. :icon_whoknows:

I have certainly seen parlour guitars mentioned online as being more inclined to bluesy - a not-so well-defined bass, non-crisp highs, and a mid-range bump. I've also seen it said that the more solid wood the more likely a warm tone.

I've always had a liking for the value for money aspect of the "Vintage" brand guitars and they have been going for a more quality aspect with some acoustic signature models - very good things keep getting said about the Paul Brett Signature 6 string Parlour size guitar - review here http://www.jhs.co.uk/reviews/GuitarandB ... 00pb12.pdf. Having a Tanglewood TW45 and liking it a lot if it was me looking I would probably check out Tanglewood Parlours - TW73 or TW40 for example (and there's a whole load of others in their range at various prices). I've seen nice things said about the Blueridge Parlour guitars recently. But with all these and any others I've not tried them.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

You sound like a candidate for a OOO or OO style guitar. (Martin designations denoting a smaller bodied, more womanly shaped guitar, rather than a Dreadnought style.) If you can get Seagull guitars (Canadian) where you are, they are a very nice and reasonably priced alternative to the Martin. Look for the smaller body, sometimes called a Concert, with at least a solid (rather than plywood or laminated) top, preferably back and sides too. Brand name is less important than build quality, playability, and tone. There are almost certainly guitar builders in your half of the world that make quality guitars.
Good luck in your quest. :D
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
bluerebel

Post by bluerebel »

Thanks so much guys, will look out for the guitars you mentioned. Found some online but not available locally in my city. And I am wary of buying the guitar online, given that I am close to manic about the tone I'm looking for.
Blindboy, you are right, not too concerned with the brand and I have been looking at a few guitars with solid tops. Came across one is called Merida, had a nice solid cedar top, have any of you guys heard of it?