Zoom G3X

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
VikingBlues

Zoom G3X

Post by VikingBlues »

I'm a bit pleasantly surprised.

Here's an initial demo of the G3X. The amp sim is Fender Deluxe Reverb. There is Spring Reverb and Delay - both also on the G3X. I find the unit responds pretty well to guitar playing dynamics and tonal changes caused by picking style and position. The G3X is just plugged direct into the PC interface and NO fx at all have been used in the DAW recording software.

There are a variety of cabs available with each amp sim. This demo linked below has from 0:00 to 0:51 a 1x12 cab, from 0:51 to 1:40 a B-Breaker 2x12 cab, from 1:41 to 2:30 a 2x12 FD Combo Cab, and from 2:31 to the end a 4x12 HW stack.
:music2: https://app.box.com/s/tpd1pmdopfibgya3m3zj
As this is just 4 chunks cut from 4 complete run throughs of the backing track (David Wallimann GuitarPlayback "Blues in G") it doesn't have a lot of coherent musical structure in my soloing to run through the whole piece. But the recording does show the cab sims on the G3X do have a fair effect on the sound.

For a single one take through the whole BT that makes more musical sense there is the B-Breaker 2x12 cab recording here:-
:music2: https://soundcloud.com/vikingblues/g3x- ... in-g-minor

A few negatives :sad: :-
1)No volume control for the headphones - have to go into the Global control menu to adjust the output volume - if it's left the same as for input to the interface on the computer ear damage could result!
2)No USB cable (just a minor expense though).
3)No Aux-in to Jam along to mp3 player etc while using the G3X.

A few positives :D :-
1)Amp sims respond pretty well to variations in picking volume despite the absence of tubes/valves - also respond well to tonal variations caused by picking style / where on strings notes are picked.
2)Simple to use - no deep structure of menus and enough controls that there aren't too many baffling multi function knobs and switches.
3)Simple to start a new patch from scratch.
4)Power adapter included.

Robust metal chassis + rugged footswitches
Treadle
94 stompbox types
13 amp simulations include Fender, Marshall, Vox, Mesa/Boogie, HiWatt, Orange and Matchless, plus a Diezel Herbert and a Two-Rock Emerald 50.
Plus cab simulations
Up to six modules per patch - 3 displayed at a time with scroll function to the other three.
Each of the modules can be tweaked with its own dedicated knobs and buttons.
In addition to physical editing also get Edit & Share software for drag and drop editing on computer, plus patch storage and download.
On Board rhythm function.

I have had a feeling having used a number of Zoom's products over the past 15 years that they have been outside the effect premier league. So far I think with the G3X that Zoom are promoted and doing well in the top division. My opinion is of course subject to further use of the machine and my exploring more of it's functions. Which I'll try and document.

Still to do:-
Try out the looper (40 seconds / 20 seconds with Undo function enabled)
Try out as audio interface
Set Up Edit Software
Try saving new patches
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
VikingBlues

Re: Zoom G3X

Post by VikingBlues »

Oh ... and it seems to do higher gain ... even if I can't play it properly. The well played guitar on the left is David Wallimann, not me.
:music2: https://app.box.com/s/806ex2h43asfpmr3grd5
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

VB sounds really good, both your playing and the G3x, I've read lots of good reviews on those. Dan
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks Dan. :thumbsup: It's been a surprise to me in a good way so far.

When I started playing electric guitar again nearly 15 years ago I got a multi-fx Zoom pedal which was good in that it got the creative urge going. It stopped working after a couple of years and the later version I then got didn't really do the trick. I've tried a few Zooms since and they've all felt very low budget - I was very disappointed with the MS50G which, despite a lot of good reviews, seemed very noise ridden and not too great on tone.

So I've tried the looper today and tried the pedal plugged into an amp too. Easy to use the looper, though as always it's tricky to stomp on the off button at the right time for the loop to work right. The display is very clear and means you don't need to refer to the manual to check what buttons to press and when.

This is just a simple 2 minute recording - a short (shaky) rhythm part from the PRS SE looped, and a clean lead from the Hagstrom played over the top. Deluxe Reverb sim with delay and chorus put through the clean Super Champ XD and recorded on line out. Who would have guessed I'd use minor chords?! :lol:
:music2: https://app.box.com/s/enp9ia04wp1xl35tp4p6
I did do up to 5 parts on the looper in an earlier try and it worked out fine.
If you want the undo function though you're limited to 20 seconds. Without the Undo function, the way I did it, it's 40 seconds limit.

I'm going to have to try it with the rhythm function too. But later ..... :away:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Sounds really authentic, and the price is quite low for what you get. I'm still thinking of a replacement for my toneport, but I prefer a software solution. At least until now...
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Sounds like a good multiFX, good playing btw :clap:
Never heard so much overdriven stuff from in a single topic ( I think)
Nice catch !
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

With regard to amps I recall David Wallimann being asked which was best - tube, hybrid, solid state, modelling etc. He said it can be any of them - what's best is whatever helps creativity. Very true and I think it applies to gear like the G3X too ...so far it seems to be working well on that level. :fingerscrossed:

There will be a lull on these tests during this week ... which is a very busy one, and I'm likely to only be in a fit state to doze on the couch in the evenings. :yawn:
HalfBlindLefty wrote:Never heard so much overdriven stuff from in a single topic ( I think)
I find it more than a bit confusing listening back to that higher gain demo - it just doesn't sound like me ... and I don't know where I was getting the ideas from for the double notes and chords. And not a pick in sight :big_smile: ... might be a bit sore on the fingers to play that way for a long session!
12bar wrote:Sounds really authentic, and the price is quite low for what you get.
The two good things that have caught my attention! :cool: Though it has to be said it will also produce some ghastly sounds which are far removed from authentic!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Been trying out the looper some more this weekend while plugged in through the clean channel of the SCXD - good sounds. :D Apart from timing when to hit the stop button ... now there's a problem that's common to most loopers :sad: , I'm finding it pretty easy to use. Easy enough to go from the looper function to the patch mode to change the sound and back to the looper while the loop is playing. But although all the functions of the looper - Start, Stop, Record, Overdub are operated by the large footswitches, if you want to change any parameters on the new track you're playing, you need to use the fingers to press buttons and turn knobs while the unit is down on the floor.

I'm not sure that I'm getting much benefit from the treadle pedal - it doesn't do that much. But then I don't go in much for using a treadle anyway on any of the units I've had. The G3X with the treadle also has the firmware update and the option for up to 6 amp and fx at once instead of 3. The G3 only had 3 and needed firmware update to change to 6, though I believe some of the G3 units now available are v2 with the upgrade done.

Not sure that I'll bother with trying to use it as an interface. I already have an interface that works and I don't want to risk messing up DAW settings etc with yet more options.

I'm also not convinced about trying out the Edit and Share software. I've got as far as reading the instructions and they don't make things very clear so far. I seem to be getting on OK editing on the unit itself, and I prefer to leave the computer out of these things completely if possible. The computer is just a necessary evil for the recording function - there's enough grief and work to keep that running OK.

Had another trial with different settings today - will probably post the result into the blues room later. Assuming it still sounds half acceptable. :icon_whoknows: