Vinage Port crate

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Vinage Port crate

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

:wave:

Today I needed a piece of wood, circular with a diameter of about 10" . When I was about to start on an multiplex piece of plate I had, I looked under my workbech and noticed that near empty SuperChamp XD combo. Only a 10 inch speaker was sitting inside, unused..... mhh :think:
Then I remebered I still had an old VIntage-Port crate sitting somewhere hidden. :aha: Would a 10" speaker fit ?? :think: Quick measurements reveiled it would. Ghehe 2 stikes, I get my 10 inch piece of wood and a fun cab.

I started of and about 2.5 hours later I got all done, the mini Port cab's glue was drying and I had my circular piece of wood :big_smile:

The speaker is mounted behind the original backside of the crate, on the multiplex plate that I placed just inside of the crate.
I had a little bad luck with drilling the big holes I thought would look fun, but hey who cares :wink:

This is how it sounds with the Super Champ XD : download/file.php?id=2534

Mhh before I forget, recording setup : Port crate cab, Shure PG58 mic, Behringer Tube Ultragain 200, TC Electronics G-Major, D&R Mixer, Maudio Fastrack pro, computer.
Gmajor did all the FX. No editting, no Eq-ing afterwards.

Port crate cab 1.jpg
Port crate cab 1.jpg (44.95 KiB) Viewed 6184 times
Port crate cab 2.jpg
Port crate cab 2.jpg (56.16 KiB) Viewed 6184 times
And the recording / mic setup:
Port crate cab 3.jpg
Port crate cab 3.jpg (26.44 KiB) Viewed 6182 times
Attachments

10 inch Port crate cab.mp3 - (2.4 MiB)

A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
MichaelRobinson

Re: Vinage Port crate

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Clear and clean sound. Sounds good plus your style that is harmonious. I like the sound.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Nice piece of thinking and what a versatile crate. Brings vintage port along and then produces these high quality sounds. I hope the port was as sweet! :big_smile:

Even more impressive when it was just a 2.5 hour job. Great result with clear tones and sounds very even across the frequency range. :clap: :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

That's pretty cool! :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
losaavedra

Post by losaavedra »

Nice work this, good to see some natural wood instead of the usual tolex etc. Looks as if a box like that would likely also make a good starting point to make a cajón too. Good one!
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks guys,

I'm still modding the little cab
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....