Cab and Studio Story

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
losaavedra

Cab and Studio Story

Post by losaavedra »

Hi all, thought I'd post this up as things are quiet at the moment. It's about how I've done quite a lot of speaker cab construction over the years which might be interesting to some folks, also it says a bit about my 'build a home studio' project that is at long last nearing some sort of completion.
From my perspective it will be nice to return to more regular playing rather than getting side-tracked with all this construction activity!!
Cab and Studio Story.pdf
(543.6 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
Blindboy

Re: Cab and Studio Story

Post by Blindboy »

Interesting treatise on cabinets. I never gave them a lot of thought before. I stick with combo amps on stage and rely on commercial speakers for home stereos.
Very impressive job on the studio. I am (or was) a builder and can appreciate the challenges overcome here. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

That's a very comprehensive story and one huge construction project you've taken on. The difference before and after on your studio is startlingly huge. :eye_rub:

Think it's safe to say that someone is heavily into speaker cabs when they need wheels and handles to move them due to the weight! Hope the local seismological centre gets warned when you're going to play through the "Richter"! :big_smile:

As someone who is intimidated by the thought of even building a basic speaker cabinet I read your story with a feeling of awe. You have certainly put a lot of thought into it all over the years - you mentioned your thoughts being unscientific, but I feel that what's important is the end result, so if it produces the goods it's the right thought process. :thumbsup:

Did I really see 650 Watts mentioned - you shouldn't need to worry about microphones not being sensitive enough to pick up the sound for recording then!

Fingers crossed that just playing and recording doesn't end up seeming too tame after all such a long term major construction project. :fingerscrossed:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
losaavedra

Post by losaavedra »

Thanks for comments guys, I've kind-of been putting off responding until I had some progress to report. This new upload has some more up-to-date info regarding the new cab build ... whereas the studio is still in much the same muddle as before!!

The cab activity has itself been going rather slowly due to the usual round of summer visitors and other more pressing domestic stuff. This update is in MS Word as I seem to have lost the ability to create a pdf (wretched computers!).
Cab Design 2.doc
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 355 times
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

While I have to admit most of the technical information is beyond my knowledge level it is obvious you are putting a lot of constructive thought into this project. :cool:

All the options should lead to a hugely versatile piece of gear and the thoroughness of the way it is being put together ought to have its rewards in sound quality and longevity. The adjustable venting idea is an interesting one too - usually the choice is a one off permanent one - I guess (as always) the cabs we buy in the shops have the design as simple as possible for cost cutting and competitive cost reasons.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!