MIDI, VSTs, Plugins

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
VikingBlues

Re: MIDI, VSTs, Plugins

Post by VikingBlues »

Distracting myself today from my current poor guitar playing with a mix of software synth and GR20 (so there is sort of guitar used on some of it). Think it ended up as C Dorian - but only because it happened to be the notes I chose on the keyboard that sounded OK together - no idea what I'm doing on a piano keyboard.
https://soundcloud.com/vikingblues/stringyfing
Apologies for the lack of blues.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
losaavedra

Post by losaavedra »

Really quite amazing sounds you're producing at the moment. Never mind it's not the blues. When I first heard you tinkering with the GR-20 I was quite knocked out by what you were doing. I finally got one a couple of weeks back via eBay but it won't get here until next family visit to Spain (end of August) or, worst case, I pick it up at Xmas when we're going to UK ourselves. Whichever ... can't wait to get my hands on it! From the sounds you're producing I see it as opening up a whole new musical ball game. Personally I really like some classical stuff, also opera, together with jazz, blues (of course) and a few other genres. For me you're pointing the way to being able to have a stab at just about anything cross-genre. Love it, extremely stirring stuff. Don't underestimate the potential of what you're doing ... Beethoven would've loved to tinker with musical forms in the way you're doing here!!!
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

losaavedra wrote:Really quite amazing sounds you're producing at the moment. Never mind it's not the blues. When I first heard you tinkering with the GR-20 I was quite knocked out by what you were doing. I finally got one a couple of weeks back via eBay but it won't get here until next family visit to Spain (end of August) or, worst case, I pick it up at Xmas when we're going to UK ourselves. Whichever ... can't wait to get my hands on it! From the sounds you're producing I see it as opening up a whole new musical ball game. Personally I really like some classical stuff, also opera, together with jazz, blues (of course) and a few other genres. For me you're pointing the way to being able to have a stab at just about anything cross-genre. Love it, extremely stirring stuff. Don't underestimate the potential of what you're doing ... Beethoven would've loved to tinker with musical forms in the way you're doing here!!!
Thank you ... sincerely. Out on a limb here and very uncertain.

So as to give a balanced picture on this piece - I don't want you to get a false impression on what the GR-20 is doing. The recording is a mix of software synths (with a 2 octave controller keyboard) and the GR20. I've separated the tracks in the recording for the last part ....
Here's the MIDI synths parts only : https://app.box.com/s/k35ursynql6oj9eqwfok
Here's the GR20 parts only : https://app.box.com/s/xx37n05lcczlizioq4d0

You'll spot the "classical" influence stems from the MIDI synth tracks. You'll also notice bits of instability on the GR-20 sounds. Bend a string wrong or release a string carelessly and you get unwanted notes and sounds.

Fun though - I do like genre crossover stuff! :D

Congrats on the GR20 - hope you enjoy it when you (finally) manage to get it. :thumbsup:

Note all the software synths were either free ones included with the DAW or were free downloads ... I'm a cheapskate. :whistle:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!