New Amp???

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
Blindboy

New Amp???

Post by Blindboy »

Well... Last Saturday, at a gig we shared with several bands on a big outdoor stage, a guitar playing buddy of mine asked me if I had an old Fender tube amp for sale. I replied, "As a matter of fact I do..." He came to our Monday night jam at the bar and I loaned him my Fender ProSonic to try out for a week or two. That same Monday night, 12bar member DeaconBlues brought down an amp to let me check out. It is a Fender Blues Junior with some DeaconBlues custom mods. I tried it out on stage and brought it home to mess with. The mods include a heftier transformer, a conversion to 6v6 power tubes, and some others I didn't catch. The end result is a VERY nice sounding amp that I can play with the full band and doesn't break my back when loading up. If my buddy buys my ProSonic, and DB is willing to part with the BluesJunior, I will be joining the BJ owners club. :big_smile: Let's hope all the variables work out in my favor. :fingerscrossed:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
MichaelRobinson

Re: New Amp???

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Let's hope.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Fingers crossed! :fingerscrossed:

Already a good amp and even better for some good modding. :thumbsup:

From what I can gather the 6V6 and heftier transformer will have given an extra output and an improved performance in the bass registers. There's a huge amount about Blues Junior modding on Billm audio http://billmaudio.com/wp/ a lot of which I don't understand at all! :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Good to hear you are digging the amp, Bb. :beer: Those mods are basically the BillM mods with a couple of ideas I came up with to voice the amp for a cleaner response.

I'm tinkering with the idea of converting one of my Pro Jrs. to 6V6 tubes and adding a tremolo circuit. :fingerscrossed: While playing around with this stuff is fun, it does cut into my guitar playing time, so some of it has to get put off. :music2:
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.