Combo Amp Speaker Connection Cable

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
VikingBlues

Combo Amp Speaker Connection Cable

Post by VikingBlues »

I've not really got at all involved much in the way amps are connected and wired up, so it's a bit new to me, and I'd rather not make a mess of these things.

In a combo amp there's the cable connector where the male 1/4" jack goes into the amp and the two female lugs connect to the speaker.

Is there any special techniques to get those damn female lug things of the speaker connection or is it just a case of enough brute force to shift them without causing damage? :icon_whoknows:

It was the cable on the BJIII I'd like to shift and replace with a better quality and slightly longer cable. Neither of the two lugs seems keen on moving. Had a quick try with the VibroChamp to see if that was different and one shifted easily but the other was reluctant enough to make me stop trying.

Any thoughts? :wall:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
losaavedra

Re: Combo Amp Speaker Connection Cable

Post by losaavedra »

email on its way!
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Hi VB
A little bit of brute force and bending sideways is often needed to disconnect the "female" lugs on speakers.
Often you need to use some sort of plier to bend/pull the lugs of the speakers "male" lugs.
/Kalle
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ system) steelstring Dreadnought
Yamaha RBX 270 bass guitar with Laney DB150 amp.
Yamaha RGX 320 electric guitar with Egnator Tweaker tube amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks for the advice guys. :D

I did have another go. The ones on the Blues Junior are really on tight! :wall:

Gave the VibroChamp XD another go - shifted them both this time and put the new cable on that one - works fine - so I at least seem to have the theory OK. :cool:

Wondering whether to see if the place I got the BJ from have those speaker cables, and if so whether buying one from them could include them fitting it for me too?
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!