New little buddy!

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
StratLover2

New little buddy!

Post by StratLover2 »

Good morning all! Well at least here in Southern California where I am at anyway.

Yesterday I just picked up the latest addition to my amplifiers, the 50W, Carvin V3 Micro Combo. The awesome thing about it, is it has three power settings from 7 W to 50W, so you can have lesser output, if you are in a jam situation like me, where you don't want to blow people out with your tube awesomeness. ;) I also got the three channel switcher, which is a must, so that you can go from clean to dirty in a click.

I got to play it at the jam last night, using a power source of a car battery connected to an inverter. It was my dad's idea, so that I wouldn't be sucking on the trailer (behind me in the photo)'s battery power. I must say, once I got the settings dialed in rather quickly, I was rather impressed with the tone I was getting. My solos were easily cutting through, especially on the first channel. It was a rather searing sound, rather Marshallesque at times. Perfect for White Room, Badge etc..

Speaking of the jam, I got thrown for a loop. We went through literally four drummers that night. The first two were rather new, and while they tried their best, it showed. Fortunately, my friend who is a guitarist, who plays with us, has also taken up the drums. He is pretty outstanding. But then, our regular drummer came back, as his truck broke down. So, finally, we were back to some regularity.

The new songs for this month were Dream by Fleetwood Mac, and Lay Down Sally. I managed to get the rhythm down reasonably, after about three straight days of solid practice (something I have not done for a while!), still working on the solo stuff, though last night sounded ok.

Setlist:

1. Thunderstruck
2. Pipeline
3.Badge
4. Slow 12 bar blues in E
5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (w/ an awesome guest singer)
6. Dreams
7. Lay Down Sally
8. White Room

This is not in the order we played, and we may have played more, but these are the ones I vividly remember. ;) :)

First jam with the V3MC
First jam with the V3MC
179681_10200629588084372_1704167319_n.jpg (68.15 KiB) Viewed 5647 times
VikingBlues

Re: New little buddy!

Post by VikingBlues »

Congrats on the new amp - glad you like it and it's giving you the sounds you want. :cool: :thumbsup:

How well does the variable power settings thing work for you on sound/tonal quality? I've only had one tube amp that has had this attenuation idea, and although it did the job of cutting the volume and allowing crunch at lower volume levels it did have a noticable negative effect on the tone. Mine was a relatively cheap amp of course, and I suspect I'm a bit too picky about tone! :whistle:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Sounds great - how about some sounds? :wink:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Looks great, where's the sounddemo gone ??? ;)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Here you guys go. Just recorded from my laptop's built in mic, so excuse the quality. But in person, the amp has a really beautiful clean sound and I am falling in love with the dirty channels. I am still adjusting the 2nd channel, for a dirty rhythm/licks sort of thing, but I am very happy with it.

VB,

I found that selecting the amount of power that the amp used, while it may not have all to work off of like if I left it at 50 or even 20 watts, still had a lot of volume room to spare and was sounding surprisingly good for 7 watts. This amp is probably one of the highest quality micro combos in the U.S, at least, in my opinion. It's basically my V3 full stack amp into a smaller package. Has the same tubes (EL84s, I believe.) as the full stack.

download/file.php?id=2421
Attachments

V3MC Demo
V3MC Demo.mp3 - (1.87 MiB)