I have started my project

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
MichaelRobinson

I have started my project

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Hi all.

The ball is rolling. Now I have ordered the guitarstuff and guitar Les Paul '59. It's the first time I build and paint a guitar and I don't have afford to make a mess of the paintingjob.. I testpainted on a peice of playwood and that was much easyer than I thought. I wonder what the result of my project will be ? I don't have afford to failing.

I feel impatient. I want to do it right away. Banging my head like this.... :wall: . I want to start the real thing and play on this new guitar.
I sawed apart one Washburn, which I regret. From that I saved most of the parts and will use them. I am very curious how the result will be and how it will sound.
I will use the original Washburn pickups. I don't have a clue what kind of pickups it is and I have no memory of how the Washburn sounded.

Tenst as I am about this. I want to start right away.

The guitar, Les paul '59, I ordered will take some time before it arive to me. The seller don't have it in stock so he have to ordered first and I have no idea how long time it will take him to get it.

I can't relax from this project. I go through detaljs in my head how I can do it the best possible way. This I do over and over again. I can't get it out of my mind and think about other things in life. I'm addicted.
12bar
Site Admin

Re: I have started my project

Post by 12bar »

That sounds like an ideal project for you! Good ideas, I'm sure it will be great. Don't forget to make photos of your progress! :banana:
MichaelRobinson

12bar wrote:That sounds like an ideal project for you! Good ideas, I'm sure it will be great. Don't forget to make photos of your progress! :banana:
I'm sorry. I don't have a camera.
I can tell you that the guitar vill be green sunburst on top and natural on sides and back.
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Sound like fun MR, I put a strat kit from carvin togeather a few years ago, was fun keep thinking of building a telecaster some time. Check out guitar re ranch, they have some very good directions on how to prep and paint your guitar, the prep is really the most important part. Its really not hard to do once you know what steps to follow. When I did mine they said to do 2 applications on the grain filler, I did one and sanded it down it felt really smooth so I didn't do a second coat And you could still see some of the grain in the finish wish I had put on the second coat of grain filler, just my experience with painting a guitar. Have fun with it! Dan
MichaelRobinson

ratfinkdan wrote:Sound like fun MR, I put a strat kit from carvin togeather a few years ago, was fun keep thinking of building a telecaster some time. Check out guitar re ranch, they have some very good directions on how to prep and paint your guitar, the prep is really the most important part. Its really not hard to do once you know what steps to follow. When I did mine they said to do 2 applications on the grain filler, I did one and sanded it down it felt really smooth so I didn't do a second coat And you could still see some of the grain in the finish wish I had put on the second coat of grain filler, just my experience with painting a guitar. Have fun with it! Dan
I follow the instructions in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_JrN9_VTR8
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I can understand how you feel so intense and caught up in this project. I remember that feeling from the project I did building myself my "Strat". It seems to take forever for it all to get to the point when you can start work on it. :angry:

It also becomes a major part of your life when the build starts happening, though the finishing (whether paint, oil, or whatever) seems to take forever. Very easy to try to rush things .. but best to be the tortoise rather than the hare and to take it slow and careful and avoid the mistakes that can turn the fun into those stress situations. Ahhh how I can still picture the head snapping of the string tree screw :eye_rub: when it was so very nearly in place .. followed by the stall in the project while I tried various ways of fixing the problem.

Good luck with the project - and fingers crossed for you. :fingerscrossed:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

VikingBlues wrote:I can understand how you feel so intense and caught up in this project. I remember that feeling from the project I did building myself my "Strat". It seems to take forever for it all to get to the point when you can start work on it. :angry:
Good luck with the project - and fingers crossed for you. :fingerscrossed:
VB. My former job was project leader so I know how it is to get stuff and syncronise it, but this is a bit easier than I previous have done. There is nobody involved in this except me.

Everething is orded and on the way to me. I just sit down and wait.

This is my first time I put toghether a guitar. I have build oder stuff in my days but never a guitar. It's a new challenge, and it's big.

Thank's VB for keeping your fingers crossed.
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

GReat jon MR....can't wait here see and hear the final product!!!!
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
MichaelRobinson

tytlblues wrote:GReat jon MR....can't wait here see and hear the final product!!!!
Both you and me have to wait. The guitar project '59 will arrive in midle of february. I'm sit down and wait but I'm impatient. It's one of a hell (excuse my language) to wait and it seems to be a erternity. A long, long month. Frustrating............................... :motz: And I think I go crayzy.