GAS - what is it that we're all chasing?

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
VikingBlues

GAS - what is it that we're all chasing?

Post by VikingBlues »

I'm reminded of a change in my reasons for all my GASsing recently. It was when MR said "I'm chasing the sound, you know" on another thread.

I used to have a signature on my threads "Starting to find "that" tone, but it's taken too many years!"

More recently I've had the need to change it to "I was trying to find "that" tone - now I've realised there's lots of tones to find!"

:think: I've reached the conclusion that I think that's wrong too, and probably needs updated (if I can find the right waords).

I had a good think about it all and .... :aha: ..... all of my purhases and GAS attacks of the last few months hve one thing in common. The best way I can put it is that I am looking for gear that helps me play in a more expressive way.

Just wondering what reasons other members have for the dreaded GAS attacks?
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
losaavedra

Re: GAS - what is it that we're all chasing?

Post by losaavedra »

Very interesting question! For me GAS excursions arise through some lack of satisfaction with the sound I can eventually put into an mp3. The sound I personally strive for is pretty much what I can get through headphones but that ends up sounding horrible when I try to get it into a recordable format. The headphone sound really gets me excited (ridiculously high volume, loads of overdrive and compression, etc.) but so far I've not managed to trap it successfully ... which is my excuse for hardly ever posting anything! I fiddle around the periphery of solving this problem by messing with pickups and wiring, switching to metal picks carved out of old coins, and at the start of this year I decided to try and construct an amp specifically to do the job. But, mostly due to other domestic priorities (another 'excuse'), even the latter sits here in an unfinished state and not fully working. I probably spend far too much time thinking about the problem than actually 'doing'. Never occurs to me to just get a decent amp and guitar like most people would've done by now so I rarely think about the 'acquisition' part of GAS (i.e. spending money) at all. That's probably what my real problem is!
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Let i start whit the explanation that it is a bit more difficult to wright the right words in English when it is not your native languish ( auto correction helps you to spell a kind of right, but grammatically ? :cry: :nuts: ) So it is difficult to find the exact words to express the feeling on a subject as this.
Tone is very personally, and it change form day till day. The same Amp setting whit the same guitar sounds in my ears complete different the other day. Just as the sound that you get out of your headphone. The same settings did not work on the Amp/cab ore combo.
Chasing the Ultimate tone did my collected more than 20 guitars and build a lot others. I owned guitars that have there own voice that i am able to find. Every tone and volume pot had his own sweet spot on what ever Amp. Changing Pickups is not the way for me to find "the tone"
In my opinion is that a change in the character of the instrument self. I follow the building of your strat and i think the "personality" of the strat whit the Wilkinsons was marvelous. Swap the pickups made it not "better" but just different. A set of Texas specials in a crappy squir didn't it made a winner. But it could made it your # 1 when you get every thing out of it end more.
So i think finding "that tone" is more the environment of electronica wizards and there expertise). Create a sound is more the way a musician do it on the second it came out of his fingers and his skills.

I get the picture when you tell us that the response of the Hagstrom is so much more your cup of tea whit other picks. But i have the same experience after a fret job ore an intonation. The vibes of working on an instrument you like to play and having on your lap is not describable to them who did not play. Just as the bond you have whit some of them.

In the last 43 years i came to the conclusion that Neil Young came close to the point,so this is my kind of free translation "If you can get the tone you love, Love the tone you get"
If it made you happy to swap Pick ups? please do, but i think that you get a new friend but trading in the old one you have for years! ( oke! whit all his habits you all ready was use to :whistle:

I was thinking of building a guitar that has an kind of scratch plate that allow me to test en do experiments whit Pups and pots whit out change the guitar.
Just loosen the strings unplug the jack cable, screw in the pups ore swap the pots, capacitors etc. Mount the scratch plate, and 1.2.3. testing :chicken:
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Not having much time, money and shops for real gas attacks I usually stick to a few settings that give me a decent tone depending on the song.
So for me it's finished searching for that tone and using the saved time to play
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

12bar wrote:Not having much time, money and shops for real gas attacks I usually stick to a few settings that give me a decent tone depending on the song.
So for me it's finished searching for that tone and using the saved time to play
seems reasnable and logic.
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

I've given up on GAS for now. After my recent foray into micing my amps, I've found for me that is not always the best solution either, based on my conditions of when/how I play. I.e early in the morning or late at night. SOOOOO, now I am just concentrating on my playing and being happy with what I have!!!!
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Interested to hear all your thoughts guys. Always interesting to get other players views on these sort of issues - I get so wrapped up in what I'm doing that I can't see the wood for the trees and stop thinking sensibly.
ElMano wrote:Changing Pickups is not the way for me to find "the tone"
In my opinion is that a change in the character of the instrument self. I follow the building of your strat and i think the "personality" of the strat whit the Wilkinsons was marvelous. Swap the pickups made it not "better" but just different.
To be honest that is why I went for a brand new scratchplate and controls / wiring as well as the new pickups.

That way I'll be able to swap the Wilkinson pickups back in by swapping scratchplates and just disconnecting the jack and the bridge ground, if I don't find the change is beneficial.

The benefit I'm looking for with the change is more to do with dynamics and clarity than tone. I'm not convinced I'll get that benefit - I have a strong feeling that the SH55 pickups effect was a magical one off. I think with tone I feel I'm getting a larger portion than I used to from my fingers, the Palmer pedal and the amp.
tytlblues wrote:now I am just concentrating on my playing and being happy with what I have!!!!
12bar wrote:So for me it's finished searching for that tone and using the saved time to play
I wish I had as much sense as you two guys!
losaavedra wrote:VThe sound I personally strive for is pretty much what I can get through headphones but that ends up sounding horrible when I try to get it into a recordable format.
It's a sod trying to get the same sound as you hear (whatever way you normally listen) on a recorded format. I've never yet had a recording anywhere near the point at which I've thought that's just about right. Best I get is a "decent indication" of the original sound.
losaavedra wrote:Never occurs to me to just get a decent amp and guitar
I truly would love to live somewhere that would be amp friendly so I could get a real amp and not just make do. Probably not a good enough reason to move the whole family though I'm afraid. :sad:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Since I almost never use pedals, my GAS usually involves guitars and amps. I really am not chasing any tone (I like my tone, for the most part), but different guitars have different voices and personalities. There are several guitars I want to add to the collection (ES 335, a really nice second Strat, a 12 string acoustic, ES150 Switchmaster...) and I would like to have a good small tube amp, about 15 or 20 watts with a single 12 or two 10 inch speakers. Something easier to carry and able to turn up on stage and get real power tube distortion. As far as chasing tone, I can usually get a sound I like from any decent guitar and tube amp combo. I recently played through a friends rig, a Reverend guitar and some kind of tube head/cabinet setup at a bar in Albuquerque. It sounded very nice, and the dynamic response was killer. Reverend guitars are kind of an unknown treasure... great to play and excellent tone and dynamics. Maybe I should add one of those to my GAS list... :roll:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Well, why... mhh I like trying stuff and along the way keep the things that I -sort of- bonded with.

Hey BB, try a Superchamp XD, the original one. Nice enough, not heavy. Stock only a 10"speaker though.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....