Nearly done : SuperChamp

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Nearly done : SuperChamp

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

:D No,no... I didn't sell it :lol:
Last friday during rehearsal it stood it's ground, but lugging around a 12 inch speakercabinet, the little champ and my guitar proofed to be a bit much :think:
Today I moved Cybie back into it's combo and resized the head I was building for it to the Champ's size.
I'm halfway so I felt the need to test if things stayed operational.
My playing more or less sucks this time, but I used my hands a lot for woodworking so I've got an excuse :haha:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11944473

So, now to rounding the corners, sanding, sanding and finishing. :dance:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Re: SuperChamp moving house

Post by VikingBlues »

Well, even if your playing was a bit off (and that's a level I aspire to), the tones still shine through. Seems to me the build is going to sound good and look good. I do like the way it's looking already - something of clean lines and no frills, but solid. You've put in a load of good work there HBL. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

:beer: Both the music and the wood work are great Hans!!! :amp: :amp: What kind of finish are you going to put on the cabinet? a nice stain? or paint?
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

HB, how come when you say your playing sucks it sounded really good but when I think my playing sucks it really does? Cool project you have going there, I have thought of converting my super champ to a head a few times but haven't gotten to it yet, kind of like it as a light easy to carry combo. I changed the speaker in mine, put an eminece legend 1058 in it for a while, it sounded really good very brite and sparkely, then put an eminece copperhead in it, I think thats the best choice for a 10 inch for it. Still keeps that fender tone and vibe but tightens up the bass and mid s some and smoothed out the treble plus it gave it some more clean head room. I did plug mine into a cabnet with a single eminence 12 inch canabis rex and it sound really good I think if I ever convert it to a head that is the speaker I would use very smooth sounding ! Got to love these little super champs great little amp for the money! Keep us posted on yours. Dan
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks guys :)

Dan, well listen another time and you'll hear some hesitations and errors caused by my fingers being stressed out by the woodworking.
Meanwhile a little progress.

Now I have to emty up the cabinets sand and start aligning and rounding the edges and corners.
The black paint is to buy me some time to decide on either cloth (and type of) or some of the ordered tolex (actually heavier quality Skai) on the little front.

Oops, forgot a little something :yikes:
champ head 4b.jpg
champ head 4b.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 18544 times
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Hans

People say im to hard on my self. This time I think you is to hard on you. The music don't suck so I don't understand way you say it.
Youre project looks good and sounds good. Good luck with the rest of youre work.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

MR, I don't think my music sucks, I just feel my playing could be more up to my normal level :)
It's not always a matter of being hard on yourself. :D
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Hbl super champ is looking good, your starting to give me the bug to turn mine into a head and cabinet also, looks like a fun little project plus the benifits in tone and headroom and probably a little bit more volume with a 12 inch speaker! I've seen a few where they have taken the combo cabinet and cut it down to a head and kept the tolex intact and some of the speaker grill cloth looked pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing it when you finish it , looking good so far! Dan
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Just sit and wait :) thanks Dan.

Time for some progress, the house smells like a glue factory, The cabinet is done for 95%
I still have to decide what to do with the front/baffle. Black paint or black speakercloth, or ! Put the Tolex on there to.
The last option may just not be an real one, since I'm planning to change Kitty into a head and use the Tolex I have left on that. Would be a nice set, two heads and one cab. to dig up an old album name and change it a little, it would become "The Cab of two head"
Attachments
cabbuild fin 2.jpg
cabbuild fin 2.jpg (79.61 KiB) Viewed 18315 times
cabbuild fin 1.jpg
cabbuild fin 1.jpg (82.06 KiB) Viewed 18315 times
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Nice work you've done with the tolex! :clap: :thumbsup:
Is it an attenuator we can see at the back?
Jan 15th 2007
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

oh yeah, looks like really nice work........yeah, what are the controls in back, just the normal stuff relocated?
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Wonderful - a great piece of work (and art). :pray:
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Nice Job! HBL The tolex is nice and tide and i love the color Specially with the black corners. :clap:
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Hey, thanks folks.
With a little luck I'll do the top next weekend. I just love the way this semi tolex looks on the cab.
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Do i look a day or 3-4 and what i see :yikes: HBL is a very nice carpenter :clap: :rofl:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Haha, not so good, why do you think the pics are a little unsharp ;)
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

I sad carpenter, not photografer :rofl: :rofl:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Not such a fantastic carpenter either, I caused a crack in the right side and part of the top and bottom panels.

After the disasterous crack and in the right sidepanel and tear in the top panel's tolex caused by the crack I had to perform some damage control before finishing the amp head.
Still a few small things to do but this is the general idea
IMAG1014.jpg
IMAG1014.jpg (83.51 KiB) Viewed 17527 times
IMAG1013.jpg
IMAG1013.jpg (85.5 KiB) Viewed 17527 times
2WheelsOfBlues

Re: Nearly done : SuperChamp

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

NICE :drool: :thumbsup: :clap: :drool:
VikingBlues

Re: Nearly done : SuperChamp

Post by VikingBlues »

Looking great cracks or not! :thumbsup: :clap:

I admire the dedication and energy you must have been able to put into this project. Where DID my energy go?

Matches the guitar well too I think. :cool:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!