Harley Benton American - Cheap Amp Substitute

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
VikingBlues

Harley Benton American - Cheap Amp Substitute

Post by VikingBlues »

I sold some old pedals - and got a few cheapies to try.

Includes a Harley Bemton American (also badged as Joyo and as Rocktronics depending where you buy). Sort of cheap clone of the Tech21 Blonde I think - not quite the same, but the right ballpark and less than 1/4 the price at £29.
Harley Benton American - in bad light
Harley Benton American - in bad light
100_0347.JPG (116.85 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
Here's a basic demo, with changes being made to the "Voice" knob. The drive knob is between 1 and 2 o'clock and the three tone controls neutral. Level knob adjusted to balance the increased volume of the voice knob as it's turned up.

Backing track has 7 times 12 bar run throughs. The first 6 times sees the Voice knob at 7, 9,11,1,3, and 5 o'clock. You will hear by 5 o'clock that the sound is pretty compresssed and overdriven even with the Drive knob between 1 and 2 o'clock - the DAW at this point shows a pretty solid block of sound - too much for me. :sad: The last part is dialled back to 12 o'clock voice and 12 o'clock Drive which I quite liked. Quite a fun pedal for the price. :D I played the PRS (lightest weight guitar - still got strained muscles) just through the pedal into the DAW - bit of reverb/delay added to sound balanced with the BT (Guitar Backing Tracks.com).

download/file.php?id=2201

Personal preference wise I find the drive knob OK at 2 o'clock with the Voice at its leftmost setting, but I'm then wanting to turn it left as the Voice knob turns right.
Attachments

Harley Benton American Test
Harley Benton Anerican pedal Test1.mp3 - (5.18 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blackhorse

Re: Harley Benton American - Cheap Amp Substitute

Post by Blackhorse »

Hi VB,

I've noticed these "Joyo" pedals cropping up on the net a lot lately, with some great reviews for cheap clones. I've got an order lined up with Thomann for the Ultimate Drive (OCD clone), and Digital Delay (could be a copy of the Mad Professor's Deep Blue Delay?), and looking for the Sweet Baby (copy of Mad Professor's Sweet Honey).

Your American pedal sounds good, I agree the 1 and 3 o'clock settings on your demo sound best. How is the build quality, does it look like it will last? Although at £29 it's not a big deal to replace it if it falls apart after a year or two :icon_whoknows:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blackhorse wrote:How is the build quality, does it look like it will last? Although at £29 it's not a big deal to replace it if it falls apart after a year or two :icon_whoknows:
:wave: Hi there Blackhorse - hope you're doing well! Glad you like the demo sounds.

Build quality ... a good question to be asking. It feels solid enough and the casing gives it a reasonable weight ... but whether the switch / knobs will stand up to a lot of punishment and whether the componenets are of good quality or well put together I'm afraid I really don't know. It seemed to me when I was trawling around forums that the positive and negative comments about Joyos were probably a pretty similar mix to what you get for most brands. As you say - at £29 it's much less of a concern.

I forgot to mention in my post that the pedal is pretty noise free - certainly less noise than a lot of budget pedals where any drive settings are in play. :thumbsup:

I had a decent go with it through the Fender VibroChamp XD this morning (on a clean voice). Very nice sounds. I thought it was best to do the demo with no amp though because the amp will have a big influence on the tones.
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Nice demo VB and I can say this pedal sounds good, despite its low price.
Surprisingly good! :clap: :thumbsup:
Jan 15th 2007
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Nice VB, it's fun to find the nicer pedals in the lower price ranges. Stay away from the Behringers though. I tested a few and the are quite noisy.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Stay away from the Behringers though. I tested a few and the are quite noisy.
I'll agree on the basis of the one Behringer pedal I have - a TM-300 Tube amp modeller - a noisy little beast at some of the settings! :roll: