Strat Project Diary

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
VikingBlues

Re: Strat Project Diary

Post by VikingBlues »

Golfxzq wrote:VB... I guess the feel of the finish is a personal thing... whatever feels good to you. My personal preference is for that smooth silky feel. I like to see the grain in woodwork but I want it to feel slick.... If it were me I would fill the grain but if you like to feel the texture then you should go with the open grain.
I thought I liked the idea of the smooth silky feel but seeing the grain. The nearer it gets to doing the job the less sure I am. But .. that sort of uncertainty has been the case at pretty well every stage of this project. :roll:
Golfxzq wrote:As for the playing... as I have said before, I can tell a difference in your playing with the Strat. To me it is more Bluesy and a little "lighter". You style with the Tokai or the Hagstrom was slightly "darker".
I like your analysis and recognise it as true. I'd agree with "lighter" which I guess is a combination of the single coils, and quite possibly the 9s instead of 10s for strings. I'm interested that you say "bluesier" - I think that's the one I'm not sure I undestand so much - I find I want to play and phrase things differently using the start and I think that the phrasing in particular is making it bluesier. Is this why the strat is so popular for blues I wonder? :icon_whoknows:
Golfxzq wrote:Good luck with the finish job.
Thank you - it's an area I'm concious of a lack of skill and practice at, and I have a history of fairly ordinary finishes in my building guitars so far where I've had to do the finish myself. So figers crossed I get it right - but if the sound and feel of the guitar work well, I can always comfort myself that the finish is of less importance. :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

VikingBlues wrote:I'm interested that you say "bluesier" - I think that's the one I'm not sure I undestand so much - I find I want to play and phrase things differently using the start and I think that the phrasing in particular is making it bluesier. Is this why the strat is so popular for blues I wonder?
Don't get me wrong... I have always really liked your "sound" but to my untrained ear your Strat posts just sound a bit more like blues songs to me. I think it's the style of play as well as the Strat sound. I can still detect your distinctive VB sound (I think I could pick it out of a crowd) but it just seems to have more of the elements of the blues tunes that I listen to... Tracy Chapman, JJ Cale, Joanne Shaw Taylor (whom you turned me onto)... good company!!

To me, your earlier posts, although blues, had more of a "Scottish" sound, if you know what I mean. Oh well... I'm certainly no expert critic... I like 'em both, they just sound different to me.
VikingBlues wrote:Thank you - it's an area I'm concious of a lack of skill and practice at, and I have a history of fairly ordinary finishes in my building guitars so far where I've had to do the finish myself. So figers crossed I get it right - but if the sound and feel of the guitar work well, I can always comfort myself that the finish is of less importance.
Yes indeed... the final finish is a scary thing. I have never refinished a guitar before the LP and to tell the truth, after 10 coats of black lacquer and 17 coats of clear lacquer on top of that I'm still not satisfied with the finish. I'm going to try a different approach when I get home. Lacquer is a tricky finish to work with. I have finished off plenty of other woodwork projects before and I always fret over the final finish. You want it to be perfect but perfection is very, very, hard to achieve. :wall:
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
bluesblooded

Post by bluesblooded »

VB, let me first say that it was a pleasure to read your post while listening to your blues. Very nice! I hope I'll be that good one day.

As far as what is the best finish, may I ask what is the rush? At this point, you still seem unsure as to what is the best finish for you. Obviously, this unfinished body is suiting you well, for now. I guess you could sit on it for a while and play it the way it is until your mind gets clearer. Then you could go at it.

At some point last year I purchased a Fender SRV signature artist series stratocaster that I wanted to relic to look like SRV #1. When I received the guitar, it was so nice looking and so expensive that I was unsure if I would go ahead with my plan and sand off the nice finish. I started to apply my template on it. Just before getting the sander on it, I chickened out :chicken: I removed everything and kept it this way. After looking at it and playing it for a few weeks, my original intention kept comming back to mind. I did apply my templates on it and gave it a go. Altough I was scared I would ruined a perfect guitar, my mind was set on making this perfect tribute guitar. I was happy I did it and never looked back.

Anyway, the thing is, once you commit to a finish, you can't easily go back. Might as well take a few more days, weeks or months until you are quite sure of what you are looking for.

Thanks VB for sharing your music and project.
ringtone

Post by ringtone »

Hi, what a great thread. SRV.... drool

I am into the Road Worn series: http://www.camerajuice.com/rw

I got into Tele's at first... then a 50's Strat in sunburst (but I didn't feel any love there and flipped it)... then I got a RW Tele Deluxe in black recently...

...but last month I finished my first Road Worn SAR Strat. (SAR = some assembly required.)

I put it together using Fender and aftermarket parts.

Then I got it checked out & intonated by my local luthier.

Colour choices?
I liked the look of the 'Road Worn 60s Strat but they don't come in black. Memory refresher:

So, if you can see that body in black, you're close to my Strat.
I enjoy finding bits, I enjoy the hunt I suppose.

When it comes together and it actually sounds special as well? Bonus!! (Otherwise I'd flip it.)

Road Worn alder 50's Strat in thin black nitro. Mexican.
Fender SRV neck.
Fender Custom Shop Strat Fat 50's pickups (still under assessment - they were going cheap.)
Road Worn 60's Strat pickguard. (RW 50's body had to have extra pickguard screw holes to make it fit.)
Callaham bridge assembly.
Gotoh locking Kluson type tuners. Japan.
home made loom using cotton covered wire, treble bleed and orange drops etc.

The bridge is blocked - I don't have a wiggle stick license yet.

Sorry I haven't taken a photo yet. Will do soon I suppose.
Last edited by ringtone on Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Hey ringtone - that's some serious gear went on to your Strat - way out of my league / budget! The Callahan bridge for starters, let alone the pups(just as well not at full price), tuners, electrics etc. :thumbsup:

Like you said "When it comes together and it actually sounds special as well? Bonus!!" Not to mention shock and surprise in my case. :big_smile:
I'd be interested in seeing photos one day if you can. Not to mention hearing it? :drool:
ringtone

Post by ringtone »

The pricey part (but the most important) was the neck. When I began doing SAR Fenders I realised found the quality of the neck is vital. All necks are not created equal. Since I am a wood work klutz, I have to buy the best bits I can. I have made some Fenders for friends on a budget too. So I have learnt some lessons re parts suppliers and quality: Callaham is classy, so is Glendale if you can get it. I have one of his Chimemaster Strat bridges in the vault.

My boys have "non-SAR" guitars LOL -- Ibanez and Les Paul. The Les Paul I got a few weeks back for one boy -its a 08 Std (IT was expensive) and I can't play it - its lefty. I built him a lefty SAR Strat last year using a US Hwy 1 body and a Japanese neck in nitro and it served very well, but I gotto say the LP is WAY better for his 'cookie monster vocals' death metal whatever.

Here's a vid of one of the boys on my RW Strele (Esquire) with Callaham gear (incl. reverse control wiring):
[youtube]sKRxNZDUzzQ[/youtube]
VikingBlues

Re: Strat Project Diary - Sealing & Filling

Post by VikingBlues »

Several coats of sealer and filler later. Plus working outside having read the health warnings. :sad:

Was still drying when photo taken and getting a bit of sparkle of the sun. At least it's already getting the body colour to match the neck better and the grain is still showing well. :thumbsup: So - many, many coats of Tru-Oil Finish to be done now over the next week.

Fingers crossed. :yikes:
Sealer & Filler
Sealer & Filler
100_2605sm.jpg (146.54 KiB) Viewed 18258 times
PS - Sorry ringtone - I seem to have managed to not notice your post.
ringtone wrote:The pricey part (but the most important) was the neck. When I began doing SAR Fenders I realised found the quality of the neck is vital. All necks are not created equal. Since I am a wood work klutz, I have to buy the best bits I can. I have made some Fenders for friends on a budget too. So I have learnt some lessons re parts suppliers and quality: Callaham is classy, so is Glendale if you can get it. I have one of his Chimemaster Strat bridges in the vault.

My boys have "non-SAR" guitars LOL -- Ibanez and Les Paul. The Les Paul I got a few weeks back for one boy -its a 08 Std (IT was expensive) and I can't play it - its lefty. I built him a lefty SAR Strat last year using a US Hwy 1 body and a Japanese neck in nitro and it served very well, but I gotto say the LP is WAY better for his 'cookie monster vocals' death metal whatever.

Here's a vid of one of the boys on my RW Strele (Esquire) with Callaham gear (incl. reverse control wiring):
[youtube]sKRxNZDUzzQ[/youtube]
Thanks for the run down there. The quality of parts and realising which are key is a time consuming process, and leads to a number of failed or substandard projects to reach that knowledge - well it did with me. :roll: Also in the UK we now seem very limited in the number of good suppliers for guitar parts of the body, neck etc type - the parts for building a guitar rather than replacing bits on an existing one.

Nice that you've got boys that are also interested in guitars -must be good to have that in common. Although it's maybe a bit expensive! One of my boys sort of has a minor interest but I think it's probably just to humour me. Must be something missing on your YouTube link reference - I found the video by typing the reference number into the YouTube search box, but your post should be able to show the YouTube video ready to run in a box within the post?
Strummer07

Looking Good

Post by Strummer07 »

Hi VB

She is sure is looking good now ( I'm assuming its a she !!) ......and it sounds like you are sort of on the home stretch ...last bits of of finish to go and re-mantling !!
Nice thing is you already know what it sounds like ......so you can anticipate plenty of hours noodling to compensate for all the hard hours of creating !

I'm assuming that the True -Oil is a clear varnish ??

As a matter if interest .........Is it still within or around original time and cost budget estimates ??
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Re: Looking Good

Post by VikingBlues »

Strummer07 wrote:Hi VB

She is sure is looking good now ( I'm assuming its a she !!) ......and it sounds like you are sort of on the home stretch ...last bits of of finish to go and re-mantling !!
Nice thing is you already know what it sounds like ......so you can anticipate plenty of hours noodling to compensate for all the hard hours of creating !

I'm assuming that the True -Oil is a clear varnish ??

As a matter if interest .........Is it still within or around original time and cost budget estimates ??
Hi Strummer - thank you. How's it going - haven't seen you around here for a few weeks. :wave:

I like your using the "re-mantling" word - I think that it should be in the real dictionary, not just the urban one.

Yup - Tru-Oil is a wipe on clear finish. "Wipe the oil over the surface with a cloth, then wipe off any excess material with a fresh cloth or paper towel leaving a very thin coating. This thin coat will harden enough in several hours to apply the next coat. Four or more coats are applied over several days to achieve the desired depth or thickness. Easy and safe to use - very user-friendly. No equipment or ventilation or mask is required during finishing. Only a clean cloth is needed for application with very minimal sanding between coats. This finish is also much easier to repair and maintain than either lacquers or shellac". At least that's what Luthiers Mercantile International have to say. It's more commonly used for gun-stocks.

Unless I need more of the Tru-Oil finish I think I will come in at just a shade over £300. Excluding Labour :lol: .

I'm hoping the final straight has no hurdles on it - my guitar building legs are tiring after two months.
VikingBlues

Re: Strat Project Diary - Will this never "finish"

Post by VikingBlues »

So two days of sealing and filling. Now at end of day two of applying Tru-Oil finish.

Day one was nasty weather and did it all inside. Spent first 9 waking hours today with splitting headache. :wall: Today was better - able to get outside. :big_smile:

So, that's four coats so far, and it's becoming a pretty smooth finish. I'll do at least another two days and see how it is then. After that it'll be a question of whether to use the Sheen and Conditioner. :icon_whoknows:
Two days of "Finishing"
Two days of "Finishing"
100_2607sm.jpg (140.38 KiB) Viewed 18246 times
Not very sunny so I'm afraid the above picture's a bit dull.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Dull? That's a shiny cutaway! :thumbsup:

I whish I could use my workshop to build a guitar instead of fixing house parts, toys, bicylces etc.... :cry:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Darn VB it's not only going to sound awesome.... It's going to be such a beauty... you gotta hide her from your wife (sssst)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

All that hard work is paying off .....and at that price !!
Well worthwhile ....a Mex Strat would come in at circa £400 .....and this babe is way way better than that :thumbsup:

Real custom build !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words. :D

Mind you Strummer, maybe I need to add in the costs of my failed projects to get the "real" cost of the one that works! ... No - bad idea that VB - don't go there. :naughty:

I see what you mean about the cutaway 12bar - I guess i'm too close and keep looking for flaws. Oh dear - and repairing bicycles sounds horribly familiar - doesn't seem too long ago either.

And I think it's too late HBL - my wife's already noticed that I keep disappearing into the back garden and come back stinking of oil! That and me burbling on about each stage in the building work this last couple of months has probably made it too late to keep the Strat a secret. Maybe I'll need to keep the Strat under some sort of cover.

I do sort of wish I knew why this project is turning out so much better than previous ones. :icon_whoknows: It's not that I've sourced the hardware from anywhere different or that I've gone for a bigger budget. Still - if I can make one good "keeper" in my time then that's good enough for me. :thumbsup:
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

:drool: YEEEEE HAAAAAA... VB.... Super job you got going there. We know it sounds great and now you are really putting the shine on her. Can't wait to see her all back together again.
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
bluesblooded

Post by bluesblooded »

VikingBlues wrote:I do sort of wish I knew why this project is turning out so much better than previous ones. :icon_whoknows: It's not that I've sourced the hardware from anywhere different or that I've gone for a bigger budget. Still - if I can make one good "keeper" in my time then that's good enough for me. :thumbsup:
Practice makes perfect!

Great job, cant wait to ear it again after it is completed.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Looking good VB! :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

In the words of a non-blues song; "Almost There"
Great job VB!
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Hey - thanks Guys!

An exhausted Viking has staggered across the finishing line. I really find the finishing process tests my patience severely. Then there's the final soldering got doen last night - I hate soldering, partly because I'm having to keep whipping the glasses on and off to see waht I'm doing distance and close up! :oldie:

We're all back together in one piece and a quick play last night suggested no difference in sound and playing action, although, oddly, the claw is in a slightly different position now to get a floating aspect to the bridge. Same guage strings - everything in same position as put back in originla screw holes. I guess the most likely is a marginal difference in the angle of the neck, which will happen with bolt on depending on order screws go in, which are tightened first etc.
Finished - in a bit of sunlight
Finished - in a bit of sunlight
100_2612sm.jpg (190.97 KiB) Viewed 18219 times
Finished - in ordinary light - close up
Finished - in ordinary light - close up
100_2615sm.jpg (128.55 KiB) Viewed 18219 times
This was the blueprint I had in my mind from the early stages (the only pic I found on the entire net after days of searching) with the sort of combination I was after, though not quite the right colours:-
The original "blueprint"
The original "blueprint"
LEGACYHBHONEY02sm.jpg (161.06 KiB) Viewed 18219 times
Mine in similar pose:-
In similar pose to the "blueprint"
In similar pose to the "blueprint"
100_2620sm.jpg (179.75 KiB) Viewed 18219 times
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

The Vikingcaster - perfect! :thumbsup: