ฺBest string for blues?

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
benzblues

ฺBest string for blues?

Post by benzblues »

Now I used D'Addario and erniebal. How do you think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/amp0004
Blackhorse

Re: ฺBest string for blues?

Post by Blackhorse »

I found the guage more important than the brand, particularly on an electric. I used to use 8s when I started, moved to 9s and I've been using 10s for the last few years. Still torn between 9s and 10s on my strat, although I like heavier strings on my archtop (12s). But yeah, I mostly go for D'Addarrio, and Martin for my acoustic.
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

After trying many over the years, I've stuck with Ernie Ball. I found the best for Blues playing to be 'Slinky Top Heavy Bottom'.
BUT BE CAREFUL anyone trying them: your nut needs the bass slots cutting wider, if your guitar has a standard nut designed for 8-10's.
I don't really think the brand comes into it; more personal choice! :icon_whoknows:
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
tombstone

Post by tombstone »

I just put a set of Ernie Ball power slinky (11-48) on my EC strat, which is currently tuned down one half-step, like SRV/Hendrix. For most of my guitar playing career I have used EB regular slinky (10-42 I think) which receive my highest praise so far. Whether or not I go back to them on the strat remains to be seen, but I still use them on my ES-135. I had a brief flirtation with EB Skinny top heavy bottom strings. I do not care for them.

On my acoustic I use D'addario phosphor bronze with a 12 high E, but I got some free EC martin strings at Crossroads that I am going to try, plus I picked up a set of D'addario flat-top "slide" strings that I will try some time as well.
I used to be tombstoneblues.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Flirted with the Ernie Ball and others, but always come back to GHS Boomers in an 11 gauge. All my electrics wear those.
As others have said, the brand name is less important than the string gauge.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I'm afraid the topic owner is a spammer. Let's see if he reponds. Otherwise: :naughty:
Pena

Post by Pena »

12bar wrote:I'm afraid the topic owner is a spammer. Let's see if he reponds. Otherwise: :naughty:
Hmmm, really 12bar, are you sure... :think:
Just a question what strings everyone likes... also checked the link... pretty good blues playing there in Thailand :bb:

Pena
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Well - 4 posts, all of them with links to his youtube account... :think:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

12bar wrote:Well - 4 posts, all of them with links to his youtube account... :think:
I felt the same, just thought let's give it a short period of time and see what happens........
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
weelie

Post by weelie »

Spam or not...

On electric guitars:
I don't care what brand I am using. I've used dozens of brands. D'Addario are available the best and cheapest to me, so I now use those mostly.

Also used different kinds of flatwounds, NPS, Pure nickel. all from 9s through to 12s. I don't understand using heavy string anymore, there's more expression available in lighter gauges. Although fat string make a strat sound sound heavier (=middier?), for sure, which is a good thing for blues. 9-46 have been most common on my e-guitars, but I often used 10-52 before.

My tele is sporting : 9-46 D'Addario NPS with 10 on top
My strat is trying out: TI flatwound 10s. They were a tad expensive for my wallet, but, well, something different, and not too heavy like flats usually are. Usually I have regular NPS 009-046's with 10 on top on the strat too, or then just 9-46 if am lazy or out of tens.
My Epiphone Alleykat is wearing: D'Addarion 9-42s. Previously had 10s, but I changed, so it would overdrive less.

Billy Gibbons used heavy texas gauges, until BB King asked him why on earth.
aggiefan

Post by aggiefan »

I use elixer 10s. They have very long life because they are coated. I have them on my Epiphone SG and Les Paul. :guitarist:
weelie

Post by weelie »

aggiefan wrote:I use elixer 10s. They have very long life because they are coated. I have them on my Epiphone SG and Les Paul. :guitarist:
Actually, I usually don't really change strings on electrics that often... at least the Fenders sound spanky enough with 5 month old strings! So I usually change them only when I want another gauge or something. Just this week I took the strings from two guitars and put them on another two, just for the fun of it (one has now lighter, easier to bend, the other has now "more meat")

On acoustic, I like the coated stuff. Elixir PB or D'Addario EXP or whatever they are called. Because usually otherwise I'd need to change them every three weeks, depending on t6he guitar though (some need changing more often).
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

weelie wrote:Actually, I usually don't really change strings on electrics that often... at least the Fenders sound spanky enough with 5 month old strings! So I usually change them only when I want another gauge or something.
I change strings when I break one, which happens more often when I play more (go figure :big_smile: ). One reason I use .11's, they don't break as easily.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"