Buying first electric, need help

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
lp1holl

Buying first electric, need help

Post by lp1holl »

Hey guys, i'm pretty new to guitar (been playing for three months) and want to buy an electric guitar, just a basic one for something different from acoustic.

I love my acoustic (its a Hohner 220, i know its not a great one critically speaking, but we really get along well), but want an electric just because.

Anyway, i'm looking for a good electric guitar for a relative beginner (e.g. I need a pretty low action and it can be fairly simple). So i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions, I'm a college student btw, so money is pretty thin. I love the look of the hollow-bodies, but idk if they're good for blues and they're all really expensive. Anyway, thanks for any help you can give me, and i hope to soon look like this guy :music2:
"Nothing shuts my piehole but pie."
Blackhorse

Re: Buying first electric, need help

Post by Blackhorse »

First of all, :welcome:

Hollow bodies are great for blues! Just ask BB King... but they are expensive. The Epiphone Dot is a great intermediate level hollow body guitar at a reasonable price and could be just what you're looking for http://www.thomann.de/ie/epiphone_the_dot_ch.htm

Other than that if you are looking for the best guitar you can get for very little money I'd recommend a Squier Telecaster, they are very simple guitars so a decent one can be made fairly cheaply, such as http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_squier_ ... _bb_02.htm
Or a similar strat type would be good too, you can't beat a strat for comfort imo http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_squier_ ... _mn_mr.htm

It really depends on your budget, but if I were you I'd start by trying these out. They are very different, in sound and in feel, and if you try both it will give you an idea of which suits you better.

Oh yeah, and then you need an amp... :amp: :whistle:
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

:welcome: to the forum, lp1holl... you are in the right place to get some great advice. Blackhorse is right the DOT is a great hollow body. I have an Ibanez AF95 which is in about the same price range and I dearly love her. The Guitar Center has a very good site to compare guitars in whatever price range and type you are looking for...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hollow-Body ... tar.gc?o=1

My suggestion is to get good advice (as you are doing from the experts on this site), do some internet research and comparison, pick out the style and type you like and then go to a shop somewhere and play around with a few. Believe me, it's sort of like finding the right woman, you will know it's the right one when you have her in your arms.
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
Pena

Post by Pena »

There's also this;
http://www.johnsongtr.com/guitars.html#jh100.html
http://www.instrumentalley.com/Johnson- ... jh-100.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsCsuECvMhg

... and my suggestion has nothing to do with the thing, that I have a similar stick. :whistle: though, mine is AXL :big_smile:
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
BadBluesPlayer

Post by BadBluesPlayer »

I agree with the above posters. The Epiphone Dot is a great semi-hollowbody guitar for blues. Epiphone also makes Les Pauls, which are also good for blues. The Fender Squire Stratocaster and Telecaster are great choices for a first electric. The Strat is very popular blues guitar.
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your guitar purchase.

:bb:
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

Nowadays it is much harder to buy an inferior electric. most are good value for money. If I was starting again I'd go for a Squier telecaster or a Yamaha Pacifica at the cheap end. If you know what you are doing, buy a better model 'used'. There are so many choices nowadays, it will need lots of try-outs to find what is right for you at the right price.
Good luck!! :yikes:
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

If you want relatively cheap and a good guitar, go for the epiphone Dot.
I have one and it sounds awesome, plays like a dream

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6391749

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7109857

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7470571

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=132613
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

A lot of good recommendations on here already
So I would support ( and it so much depends on your own personal preferences and eye.........what turns you on visually and aurally ???)

Fender Classic ( Mexican made but vg ) Strat or Tele
Squier Strat or Tele
You have to play a Yamaha Pacifica ............they get pretty faulless reviews over here .and in terms of bang for your buck .almost unbeatable in terms of sound and build quality
Epiphone ... SG/ Les Paul or ES335 ... it will depend on tast and preference .I know a lot of folk swear by Epi's ......just listen to HBL!!! .....but you do have to be careful in the shop ... their build quality can be a bit random

Get a good 'un .and it';ll be unbeatable
Get a poor build version .and you'll be forever trying to get it to sound right.

Whatever make and version you go for, when you narrow it down to a short list .........Ask to play more than one of each type of guitar ... .they'll have several in the store room ...................and choose one that makes you heart sing !!

Even in identical guitars you'll find big differences

Good Luck ......................and let us know what you choose !
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

It's all said - you need to choose the type first...
But even if you decide between Strat, Tele, ES or Paula - in a few years you may want a second guitar... :alright:
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

12bar wrote:It's all said - you need to chosse the type first...
But even if you decide between Strat, Tele, ES or Paula - in a few years you may want a second guitar... :alright:
Then a third..., Then a .....
wildwood

Post by wildwood »

I definately agree with all the recommendations above. But I wanted to throw another one in here that hasn't been mentioned. Five years ago for my 48th birthday my boys (then 9 and 13 years old) bought me this (the red one on the left) Image.

It's a ESP LTD H-250. Now...ESP is a guitar brand known to be used by metal players but it is (and has been since I received it) my favorite guitar to play blues. Some other notable ESP players include Ron Wood, Carmine Rojas (Bonamassa) and Greg Rzab (Mayall) among others.

I don't know what they paid for it but for using their own money, probably not a lot.

So it might be a good "first" gutar for you lp1holl. I play mine through a Fender Blues Junior and love it... :cool:
The blues won't get you to heaven but it'll drop you at the front door.
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

?????????????? As long as we are talking guitars here... what do you folks think about Schecter's? I know that they are considered "Rock" guitars but every time I go into a shop the style always catches my eye and they seem very smooth to play (smaller neck and low action). Anyone ever tried one with the blues sound? Not that I am going to run out and buy one... just curious. :icon_whoknows:
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Where in NM are you?
If you like archtops, Ibanez Artcore line is a good buy. Pretty good guitar for the money. I paid $200 for mine and it has been a great guitar for bluesy, jazzy stuff. Got it at Music Go Round in Albuquerque.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
lp1holl

Post by lp1holl »

I'm in LC. The actual purchase will probly occur in Dallas though, cuz there're no great music shops here and i go to college there
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

:welcome: to the site lp1holl.

Saw your post on the other thread and thought I would welcome you as another person in Texas. I'm in Round Rock (just north of Austin). We also have at least one other person on the forum from central Texas but he hasn't been posting much lately.

It looked like your home state might be New Mexico. Blind Boy posted a welcome to you and he's in northern New Mexico. We are all just part of this cool international stew of blues players on this forum. :music2:

Your age may pull down the average on this site but when it comes to years (or months) of experience we seem to fall into two camps. We have many long time, excellent players here but we also have lots of us who are either just learning blues guitar or are returning to it after years away.

If you browse the topics you will see lots of questions (and excellent answers) asked by those of us trying to develop our skills. You won't be able to tell age based on the questions. In fact, I'll bet you'll think everyone is young based on the passion and enthusiasm shown. I may be the oldest at 67 but I've only been playing a year and my questions are as basic as they come. :think: :icon_whoknows:

The experienced players are always very helpful so join in the fun. Again, welcome to the site. :thumbsup:
lp1holl

Post by lp1holl »

Yea, my home state is NM but I'm in college in Dallas. I hope to learn from the ones who have been playing for a long time and the ones who just started, as I'm sure I'm near the worst of the bunch, but happy to improve and put in the hours necessary to do so
wildwood

Post by wildwood »

lp1holl...if you are going to buy your guitar in Dallas try Charley's Guitar Shop on Royal. Just a small shop but freindly people with a pretty good selection of guitars and a great selection of amps.
The blues won't get you to heaven but it'll drop you at the front door.
davidvg

Post by davidvg »

Ibanez is a great choice too; very good quality/price rate. I'm really in love with my Ibanez :P
weelie

Post by weelie »

For semihollows... Epi Dot and Ibanez Artcore models are a good choice.
(For Fendery guitars, I'd suggest SquierClassic Vibe series. I have a Vibe custom tele, and it's great! )
aggiefan

Post by aggiefan »

Well right now guitar center is having a sale on just about everything so i would go out and visit that. My grandpa (golfxzq) and I went out to Guitar center and i got a MXR Classic Overdrive Pedal for only 30 BUCKS. This pedal can give u a wide range of tone. From EC to SRV to even AC/DC. So go check Guitar Center.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXR-CL1-Cla ... 1524102.gc