Creating Drum Parts For Songs

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
MikeJackal

Creating Drum Parts For Songs

Post by MikeJackal »

Hi guys, I would like your opinions on the best ways to create the drum parts when recording a song. I have tried using basic drum generators on line and not got what I was looking for, I also have a CD of lots of drum samples but putting them together to make a full song seems like a very time intensive thing to do. What ways do you use when making a song? This has been bugging me for ages and really holding me back at getting my songs recorded so any help would be much appreciated.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
2WheelsOfBlues

Re: Creating Drum Parts For Songs

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Good question....

I like to now alsow
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

MMMMHH nowone???? :icon_whoknows:
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Drums for BT's

( Hi Mike Jackal .. welcome back ! :wave: )

I don't have the answer for sure ... and seek it ... or something like an answer, or some pointers , just to help create, or work with BT's .. even simple ones

There was a thread 6 months or so ago when we had a guy who did know about Drumming....."DeepDrumming" ... where are you now fella ?? we need you !!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1328&p=10825#p10825

and Blackhorse also seems pretty good at drum programming .....he uses "fruity Loops" if I remember rightly ( and does a good job too .. perhasp a PM to him ??)

HBl uses BIAB and as you've seen .. he knocks out some pretty good BT's

I have an Alesis SR-18 drum progamming machine which I dust off occasionally , but mainly use a standard pattern .....fortunately there are quite a few of them !! ) i....but any tips / clues / pointers about what goes on which beat, how to build it up into a supporting track , with some variety ......would all be very helpful..

So while it doesn't answer your question , I hope alludes to a few folk who know more about this dark and secretive art... .. than I.
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

I have also B.I.A.B. but somehawe i don't get what i like :icon_whoknows:
And FL studio is ok if you have a lot of extra's yub i don't .....

By BIAB there's Realband and that a easyer way (for my) to create a BT, but here's also you must have something to load it....
Thats why i'm looking for nice tracks, so i can put in realband or just put in Adobe Audition as a mp3.

Must of the times there's only a sec or 10/20 of a drum track.

But i study now with realband because there is somehowe that you can keep some instruments out and if so its easyer to create a BT, look for a nice song and cut out the guitar or what ever :whistle:
But until then i have to look on the net and people that post here a nice track. :handshake:
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

I really only have experience of Fruity Loops, and I only use it for drums. It's ok, it's easy enough to get a good beat going but it can be difficult to do anything more complex. I'm not a drummer, and my knowledge of rhythm is limited, but I find it usually does the job. Beats can be exported as wav files for use in external mixing software like audacity.

The stock samples that come with FL are not great for a realistic drumkit sound, I think it's intended more for electronic music. But there are plenty of free drum samples on the net, and it's easy to add them into FL to get more realistic sounds. I've been toying with the idea of recording my own samples on a friend's kit, to see how that works.
wailinwayne

Post by wailinwayne »

I've been using a program called EZ Drummer for about 6 years now. I'm running it in Logic Pro. They have real drums which sound great and the loops are broken down into Intros, Verses, Chorus, Bridge, Breaks Fills and Endings. Something for everyone. My recommendation is to get the Nashville and Vintage kit expansion packs and the Blues Midi Pack. These have the best sounding drums and some really good shuffles, swing and blues rock beats. I have no affiliation with this product, a producer friend of mine turned me on to them as I had been looking for drums for my own tunes. You can see it at http://www.toontrack.com/
roswellj

Post by roswellj »

I use garage band on my ipad. It is actually pretty cool for creating backing tracks and drum tracks.