Cheap mic test

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Cheap mic test

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Today my youngest daughter asked us (me and She who must be obeyed) to look and see if we could bring her a cheap microphone for her Karaoke amp from down town.

:cool: Sure we could. :drool:

I had to fetch a new 3 wire cable for El Mano's Woody any way so we went to visit an electronics shop.
Cheap mics.... nah, ain't gonna buy her a shure (she used-up the first two that belonged to te karaoke set they are in the repair box now)
I saw a set of 3 Behringer XM1800S's in a case (29 euro), Just had to buy a cable to. Done. :phew:

When we got home I handed her 1 and the cable :chicken: She went up straight away :banana:

Ghehe I went up to and took one of the Shure's (the 57) away from it's stand and put one of two Behringers in.
To cut a long story short, I recorded some riffing . Four pieces
1st - Behringer (part 1)
2nd - Shure PG58 (part 1)
3rd - Behringer (part 2)
4th - Shure PG58 (part 2)

The Behringeris a little louder and sounds a little darker.The Shure on the other hand seems to compress a little more.
The Behringer sounds quite nice for a ~10 euro microphone.

download/file.php?id=1415

Mhh The Behringer was more towards the rim of the right speaker while the sure was more between the rim and the middle of the left speaker. :wall:
That could account for the somewhat darker sounding Berhinger
Attachments

behringer - Shure mic test.mp3 - (2.88 MiB)

A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Cheap mic test

Post by 12bar »

Well, I'm not a mic expert (don't even have one), but I absolutely like your riffing - killer tone! :clap:
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Bearing in mind the SM58 is pretty much THE industry standard ( well certainly is for vocals !)
the Behringer stacks up real well.

For an off the cuff noodle HBL ..that's lovely tone and great riffs too !!

Makes me realise I stiff have some way to go !! :icon_whoknows:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Strummer07

Testing Shure Mic's

Post by Strummer07 »

Not wishing to take anything away from your clips HBL :thumbsup:

But I found this intersting, and quite astonishing too, especially the "Hammer Test" :yikes:

u5VuADSPDk8

Don't try this at home !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Strummer07 wrote:Bearing in mind the SM58 is pretty much THE industry standard ( well certainly is for vocals !)
the Behringer stacks up real well.
Very true! :thumbsup:

So little change in position of the mics v the speaker cone = big difference in dark / light sound - but the essence of what I hear suggests the Behringer punching well above its weight.

Any volunteers for the hammer test? Came close to using a hammer test on a piece of gear this morning - the Pandora Mini I use for hearing the guitar at the same time as lessons on the laptop has ceased to function - well what do I expect - it's all of 4 months old. :angry:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

I'm with 12bar. The mic info is interesting and useful - but I loved the riffing! Those were some licks I will spend time studying. :pray: :clap:

There must be something about catching a really good player in an unguarded moment - really good things seem to happen.

It reminds me of a topic some time back where the questions was, "What do you play when you wander into a music store and pick up a guitar?". In response, Blindboy laid down some terrific, off-hand licks that I'm still studying.

I wouldn't mind hearing more off-the-cuff playing. When the licks don't have to be put in a specific context there seems to be room for more spontaniety. I think it would be good for folks to just submit a few of their favorite licks. We've done that before with tab - but without hearing the phrasing and the timing I don't get much from just the tab.

Speaking of mics....... I have a SM57 that works well with my acoustic. I bought an all-metal resonator recently. Using a metal slide on the high E string, 12th fret I can get a terrific metallic, chiming, loud, clear tone - but the mic doesn't pick it up well. I was surprised because it's supposed to be a good instrument mic. Does anyone have insight on this? Does this mic tend to roll off on the highs? Maybe I'm not using it right. :think:
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

when I say, now you must choose one, what would it be and why?

Now you have a mic or, i believe 5 or so, sow choose one....
And of curse why.

You now i'm looking around for one, but i do not now what mic is beter, there so many :icon_whoknows:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....