Blindboy

Re: Eric Clapton Signature Amps

Post by Blindboy »

:drool: :amp: :drool: :amp: :drool:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

Buddy makes them sound real good too. It's amazing how he gets that dirty with his tone but still gets that strat chime.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:drool: :drool: but out of my league... :tears:
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

:eye_rub: Nice :thumbsup:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

The Tremolux really interest me. Buddy does make the Twinolux sound nice, as well.
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
kiwiclapton

Post by kiwiclapton »

12bar wrote::drool: :drool: but out of my league... :tears:
This
In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand, Amen.
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Hi Guys
As an old experienced electronic designer, I am amazed why musicians are willing to pay a fortune for guitar amps built with "ancient" methods (point to point). There is no proof what so ever that a point-to-point assembly should give a better sound than using a modern PCB assembly. It is the quality of the design itself ( in all aspects) that matters, not the assembly methods.
/Kalle
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ system) steelstring Dreadnought
Yamaha RBX 270 bass guitar with Laney DB150 amp.
Yamaha RGX 320 electric guitar with Egnator Tweaker tube amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Wise and true words! :thumbsup:

I remember old HiFi test magazines where the testers hear differences between different brands of speaker cables :eye_rub: of the same size. Or that really big gauges of cable sound sooo much better. Nonsense. What counts is just the resistance. And the critical value can be calculated...
weelie

Post by weelie »

No, point to point doesn't sound better, but it's more serviceable (and the old ones maybe had better parts). And one part of me believes the less parts there are in it, the better the amp sounds.
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Kalle, not to start an argument, but I'll take point to point any day of the week over PCB construction. Of course, I like to take amps apart to see how they work. It's much easier to see when things are wired rather than traced.
That boy ain't right...,

BadBluesPlayer

Post by BadBluesPlayer »

I just sold my Egnater Renegade and I'm going to build a Tweed clone amp from a kit. I haven't decided which amp to build yet, but it will be one of the three amps that Fender's reproducing for the EC series.

Weber makes great kits and they also make some of the best speakers around. The tweed kits are priced at about $400, $500.00 and $800.00 respectively for the Champ, Deluxe and Twin kits. They also make a Champ kit with a 10" speaker, which is what the Champ needs to sound a little bigger. The same Fender amps sell for $1000 to $3000. The Weber kits don't have tremolo, which I would never use anyway.

I could save some money by making my own cabinet - but not much. Maybe $50 to $100.

:big_smile: :amp: :big_smile:
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

BadBluesPlayer, I have a Victoria 5112 which is a Tweed Champ with a 12" speaker. A single 10" speaker sounds too trebly to my ears. I like 10's in multiples, but not a single 10. If I was building a Champ, I'd stick it in a Tweed Deluxe cabinet with a 12" speaker. Assuming you can find one with a cut out that fits the Champ. However, with your skills in cabinet building you can probably build one.
That boy ain't right...,

BadBluesPlayer

Post by BadBluesPlayer »

DeaconBlues wrote:BadBluesPlayer, I have a Victoria 5112 which is a Tweed Champ with a 12" speaker. A single 10" speaker sounds too trebly to my ears. I like 10's in multiples, but not a single 10. If I was building a Champ, I'd stick it in a Tweed Deluxe cabinet with a 12" speaker. Assuming you can find one with a cut out that fits the Champ. However, with your skills in cabinet building you can probably build one.
Yes - I am leaning toward building a champ kit with a 10" or 12" speaker. I'll probably build the cab, so I can accommodate whatever speaker I want. I have to do some more homework about speakers.
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Yes - I am leaning toward building a champ kit with a 10" or 12" speaker. I'll probably build the cab, so I can accommodate whatever speaker I want. I have to do some more homework about speakers.
Oh heck, just go with a 15" or 2x10's...maybe 2x12's... :think: ...the sky's the limit. :D

You would be surprised just how good a Champ can sound with a larger cabinet. :music2:
That boy ain't right...,

BadBluesPlayer

Post by BadBluesPlayer »

DeaconBlues wrote:
Oh heck, just go with a 15" or 2x10's...maybe 2x12's... :think: ...the sky's the limit. :D

You would be surprised just how good a Champ can sound with a larger cabinet. :music2:
Hah! I have a 4x12 cab. How about that?
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

:think:

Got anything larger? :music2:

:big_smile:
That boy ain't right...,