new (used) Korg nanoKONTROL

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

new (used) Korg nanoKONTROL

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

In order to be able to -at least- stop/start playing and recording, and the extra of faders and rotary controls for my daw I got me a used Korg nanoKONTROL (Black edition)
KorgNanoKontrol1.jpg
KorgNanoKontrol1.jpg (202.23 KiB) Viewed 15823 times
Now to the task of controlling as much features as possible :nuts:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Re: new (used) Korg nanoKONTROL

Post by VikingBlues »

Ouch - I've got an attack of technofear coming on. :yikes:

These are all to do with midi control and virtual instruments etc I think?

Midi is right up there with Quantum Physics in how much about it I understand, but I'm sure in your good hands, HBL, there'll be some great results.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with it - hope it gives you a "boost" too. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Hey VB nothing difficult about it, no rocket science by a long shot.
The thing is you have to fight your daw's options and key repolacements.
F.i audition only knows the Mackie control unit ($$$$$) :eye_rub: I have to find me a way to control those faders even if I have to install and fire up C++ again :angry:
Music creator lets me control the faders but not the transport (play/record) but I'll get it working :)

I create a nono (no good) vid to show of the advantage when you have a transport control right there were you are when you play the guitar :drool: :thumbsup:
In the process I jammed along with the amazing grace bt for a quick one. In the process I tested recording with my cam's microphone. mhh not bad at all, but I have to learn to keep my mouth shut when using that :motz:
The first time after the ~soundcheck I hit play and fiddle along for a while. Then I notice that because I have the bt playing quite soft I'm way off with my timing and stop.
After that I hit record and play along... have to remember to kill the autofocus on my cam... sorry for the blurry ending.
Bad playing (timing), but it serves the demo.

[The extension wmv has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

test
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Good test HBL

nice to actually see you noodling away !!.smashing bit of your left hand there !!.....................super expressive it is too, you have an almost BBK like vibrato !!

and blimey ..............you have some kit there too....................almost a whole wall full !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

HBL - that looks like a really cool piece of gear.

I'm afraid I'm with VB on this one. MIDI is something I don't understand at all. (Note to self: learn about MIDI)

Arthur Clarke's third law is:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

MIDI is in that category for me.

I studied your recording rig diagrams that you posted in January and noticed that you used a second PC to run your MIDI stuff. I'm hanging on to my old PC and plan to use it whenever I finally learn about MIDI and whatever else I can use it for.

Is you NanoKONTROL used for controlling just MIDI or is it a control surface for your DAW? Or both?

That was just excellent playing in the video you just posted.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Ok guys... still not clean or tidy, but workable. a view at the rest of my equipment.
Yeah, I do have to do final reapirs on my old pc's fan... then I can get rif of the 220V Papst (ups) fans that are on top of it for some extra cool air.
otherwalls.jpg
otherwalls.jpg (230 KiB) Viewed 15788 times

Jim, no the nanoKontrol is only intended to control my daw.. , but just maybe it will work under band in a box on my 2nd pc and I just may have to swap it around.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Ok ...............so its more than a wallfull!! :D

Looks like you are controlling a whole Power Station there !! .....which i suppose is about the truth !!

and I'm all for Arthur Clarkes 3rd law ..........................................it all looks like magic to Me !!
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

That's a very professional looking set up there, which his what I would expect - quite "some kit" as Strummer put it so well. I think it merits the comment WOW!! :clap:

Good video demo HBL - interesting to see. Also intersting to note your coment "Then I notice that because I have the bt playing quite soft I'm way off with my timing and stop". Glad it's not just me who gets his note values out of whack due to balance problems - I'm in good company. But I notice it didn't affect the quality of your tone though! :thumbsup:

Nice Arthur Clarke quote MojoJim. I don't know what happened to me - I used to love wrestling with new technology and getting it to work. :oldie:
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

HBL - that's a very impressive setup. There seems to be a piece of gear in every nook and cranny. :pray: :thumbsup:

You don't just have a Man Cave...

You have a Thinking Man's Cave.....
An Artistic Man's Cave....

A Thinking, Artistic Man's Cave..... Yeah, that's it. :oldie:

Now, which of those cabinets is the beer cooler? :beer:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:drool:
Looks like I have to build a completely new house with more room for me and my guitars.... :wall:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks guys :big_smile:
12bar wrote::drool:
Looks like I have to build a completely new house with more room for me and my guitars.... :wall:
Gerd, my kids are leaving home... my son only comes home to show his face every once in a while... he's far to busy working and being with his girlfriend who has a apartment of her own. As I told before, my eldest daughter left home last year to go and life with her boyfriend in a house of them selves.
Just be patient, your time(free space) wil come when your kids are ~20-21 :away:

Mhh I have half of the top floor in my house... So it isn't that big :) about 5.40 m long and ~ 3m wide
Here is a bigger view, the amps are half way in the room, but ~2m of the space on the back of the room is used for tools and material storage. the room is split using 2 black curtains.
ampsplus.jpg
ampsplus.jpg (327.52 KiB) Viewed 15788 times
The old pc at the left is just a donor system for repairs and the extra screen (oldest I have (15" ViewSonic)) will be hung over the keyboard, to display programs and music, so I won't have to turn around to look what :motz: chord I forgot about :yikes:
weelie

Post by weelie »

The space for my equipment is one guitar under the bed, one in stand, and the other in their cardboard boxes lying next to it. Some stuff under the desk, the only amp microcube on it. Just a very tight tiny corner, all in all. If I buy more, I need to sell something...
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

HBL..........just love your den !!

Are you sure the top deck of your house does not detach ???

I am quite sure with all that kit and power ............you could get it to take off !! :lol:
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Just be patient, your time(free space) wil come when your kids are ~20-21 :away:
Or maybe a bit later than that - we're on 23 and 21 and still (apart from the time away when at University) they are sitting in the nest. Must remember to change the locks when they're out next! :roll:

To be honest I'll miss them when they're away - I'll need the distractions of more guitar playing then. :music2:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Strummer : There may be some possible power consuming devs, yes. But they're not all powered on at the same time. (most of the time)

VB : I miss them to.. still I got loads of possible playing time now
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote:Or maybe a bit later than that - we're on 23 and 21 and still (apart from the time away when at University) they are sitting in the nest.
So in 20 years I'll have my studio! :dance: :lol:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

12bar wrote:So in 20 years I'll have my studio! :dance: :lol:
Maybe... you do however, make very sure that... mhhh. :mercy: your family stays the same size...... just a simple procedure Sir : snip

:away: