Teach Me A Lesson

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
MojoJim

Re: Teach Me A Lesson

Post by MojoJim »

Hi Deltabluesrookie - I'm another guy who came back to guitar playing after giving it up in favor of family and career many years ago.

I'm curious about the CDs that you bought. I like the laid back style of the guy who goes by DeltaBluesTips on YouTube. I believe he has all his lessons on DVD for sale for about $100. I wondered if that's what you bought. I think he's actually in Manchester, England.

Delta blues is not my primary learning target. But I love the style and would like to learn a little of it.

I'm a beginner and also self taught - although the success of that experient is still to be determined.

BTW, I don't live in Massachusetts now but I'm originally from there - Fall River. I traded it in for the warmth of Texas. 78 degrees and sunny today.
deltabluesrookie

Post by deltabluesrookie »

Hey Faall-riv! I'm 15 minutes from there on the Rhode Island border. I fish all the time at Westport on Gooseberry Island. caught a monster striper there this past October. Small world eh? I'm originally from south county Rhode Island
Yes he is the guy I bought the CD's from. Worth every penny. great guy too when it comes to questions via email. He does have other stuff as well as the delta stuff on his cd's LOTS of beginner excercises and rifs and shuffles. ect ect. It will take me at least ten years to learn it all .lol I recommend him. But it's all fingerpicken even the non delta blues stuff. So if you want to use a pick to play, dont buy em. And yes they were around 60 pounds which came out about 100 bucks.
Funny I thoughy he mentioned Liverpool on one of the clips. Dont matter I guess

Disclaimer to the moderator/s: I know I'm new here. I am not related to this guy or have any other interests other than mentioning him for a good teacher who could probably use the money like most of us. So please dont get the wrong idea about me. I like it here. :)

Nice to meet ya Mojo!!
"I'm Bad...like Jesse james"
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Deltabluesrookie - actually I didn't abandon the Northeast myself. My family moved south when I was about 12. So I lack most grownup knowledge of the area. But it's good to think there is somebody on the forum that lives close to my home town.

You're right - it was Liverpool. It was many months ago when I played that clip and I got my facts confused. But as you say - it probably doesn't matter.

I studied his YouTube lessons on Malted Milk for a while with limited success. But I have a nice acoustic and would love to be proficient on it.

Gerd and Hans - I also have no relationship with the guy selling these CDs and DVDs. I neither endorse or recommend them. I only mentioned them to get rookie's opinion.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

No problem, I have nothing against pointing to other lessons, I also know that I have to work on mine - if I only had time. :icon_whoknows:
deltabluesrookie

Thanks 12 bar for the approval. Also thanks for the welcome!
Mojo. Yeah I know what you mean, it took me a good three months to just get a HANDLE of his style of teaching. I ended up leaving particular songs. (I was on his clapton version of "before you accuse me" for a few weeks with NO success Kept scratching my head). But when I went to his basic fingerpicking clips, it really helped and now I can at leats understand his method when looking at other lessons (doesnt mean I can play em lol.) His stuff is a bit advanced for me too but I have really been trying hard with the time I have and I find it a good investment for when I do get pretty good. (lord knows when that will be) I'll still have material to learn from without having to shell out more money. (which we have none of lol)
LostBoyWillson

Post by LostBoyWillson »

It's kinda funny, I went down a different path really. I started playing when I was about 32 I think.

I had hung out with a band as a bit of a roadie when I was like 16 through 18, where I first met this really talented player. I sought him out again in my later years, he was still playing in bands, giving lessons to supplement his income. I took lessons for nearly 6 months, once a week as I remember it (this is like 15 years ago).

At the time, you really couldn't just get on the net and find video lessons, but recently I've been looking at a lot of internet lessons.

The nice thing about the teacher and lessons I had, was that I knew the guy, he knew me. I loved the style of music he loved (early roots type rock/blues). He taught me the basics of guitar, and helped me go down some paths that he knew I liked. In the end I quit the lessons, cause I wasn't practicing enough to learn what he'd taught me the previous week. Then eventually I stopped playing all together for about the last 10 years.

Now... I'm back. I have lots of access to the internet videos and lessons. At this point I can't see why I would take any further lessons, unless I got really stuck on something and felt a need for a more hands on type lesson. Unfortunately for me, my old guitar playing buddy has moved to Nashville and I have no way to sit down with him any more, unless i was to take a very long drive. :)

So, bottom line. I really am so glad I had the lessons I did way back when, and I'm also really glad you can find so much info on the net now.

My only regret... that I didn't buy that PRS guitar I craved so badly back then, it'd easily be worth double what I would have paid for it then. I certainly don't regret taking the lessons.
deltabluesrookie

I hear ya Lost boy. I feel the same way. As I also took lessons when I was younger. Many folks kinda scoff at folks who use the internet or dvfds for lessons. Bu hey for a rookie like me who is a family guy with a busy job and just plays at home right now? I think it's just fine.

Nice meeting ya