Trying to learn Hideaway

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
Angus

Trying to learn Hideaway

Post by Angus »

Hi,
I don't do well with tab but generally get on fine with Licklibray dvds. I'm trying to learn Hideaway and picked up an old Licklibray dvd featuring Richard Barrett (one of The Champions!) teaching various Clapton songs. My problem is that while he is a very good player and gets the tone and nuances pretty darned good, it is rushed through with very little care for those with less than Jedi reflexes. Its sort of "then play this note, then this, then this and then this..." without demonstrating where you are in the tune, or vibrato or general technique points. I'd almost be better off with tab.

So have any of you found a good video lesson of this great instrumental?

Thanks for your time - and any word on if Eric is going to play some screaming blues through that new Les Paul yet? :)

Cheers.
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Trying to learn Hideaway

Post by 12bar »

Hi,

:welcome:

and - did you try:

http://12bar.de/beano.php#Hideaway

Video can be great, but usually are not the best way to learn a whole song. Sit down and work through the song bar for bar, repeat snippets until you get them. :guitarist:
Angus

Post by Angus »

Hi, thanks. I looked at it yes, but as I say, I struggle with tab. People absorb information in different ways, what I really need is a time machine to take me back to when I was eighteen and had a number of friends who were good guitarists, they could have just sat there and shown me. :)
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Maybe you are able to learn by ear - use Audacity to loop a small part, maybe slowed down a bit, and try to find the notes.
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

I like to look at a tab first, preferably a guitar pro tab, then all you have to do is play along with the song while the notes move along the screen with all the relevant bend or vibrato info. I find guitar pro a much easier way to learn by tab as it is not just numbers written down, you can hear what you are supposed to be playing at the same time. That for me makes the learning process much faster.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

Check this out. The video goes black. This was from a few couple years ago. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFzfPh7vrTQ
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

this is a good song to play... we open with it at gigs.. they way learned it was listening to the original (freddie king) and learning by ear. best way to do it if you aren't confident is to look at tabs and learn it 1 or 2 bars at a time...
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king