Little Brown Bird

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
LeftyBlues

Little Brown Bird

Post by LeftyBlues »

My band is playing a show again soon. I can figure out some of the chords in this song, but not together in a sequence. Does anyone know them? Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSnsyzfhY_E
Blindboy

Re: Little Brown Bird

Post by Blindboy »

That is a sweet version!
It's a blues in G... G, C, and D. You can imply a major with the hammer on like Eric is doing on the one chord, I would use 9th or 7th chords for the 4 and 5. You can imply those without committing if you pick the notes from the chords right.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

OK, as somebody who is still learning this stuff I have to ask. What does "...you can imply those (chords) without committing...." mean?

My guess is that it means playing a chord fragment without the root or maybe the third. Or maybe it means leaving out the fifth or the seventh. Or maybe it means nothing more specific than playing some chord notes. And what does "committing" mean? Playing the rooot?

Blind Boy (and BBP) - just as a point of interest. A Google search reveals that there is a Silver Cloud Lounge in Algodones just north of Albuquerque on 25. Maybe that should be the site of the next blues open mike night.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

MojoJim wrote:OK, as somebody who is still learning this stuff I have to ask. What does "...you can imply those (chords) without committing...." mean?

My guess is that it means playing a chord fragment without the root or maybe the third. Or maybe it means leaving out the fifth or the seventh. Or maybe it means nothing more specific than playing some chord notes. And what does "committing" mean? Playing the rooot?
Ok... first, committing means settling on either a 7th or a 9th chord.With the C, played in the third position (root note on the A string, third fret), the first three notes of the 7th and 9th chords are the same. So, you can arpeggiate or stab those three notes and imply either chord without committing to either one.
Second...
MojoJim wrote:Blind Boy (and BBP) - just as a point of interest. A Google search reveals that there is a Silver Cloud Lounge in Algodones just north of Albuquerque on 25. Maybe that should be the site of the next blues open mike night.
That might be cool, but I know a better place... Closer to hotels, fishing, hot springs, and my place. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

I'd rather not play the Silver Cloud until the band has body armor, even if they do have new chicken wire in front of the stage. :rofl:
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Hay Lefty Blues Maybe this can help you to get what you want. Even the free trial should do the job Sometimes when its not a blues progression i can not find som chords. Then i pick up this start a trial version and found out. :baby:

succes: http://www.chordpickout.com/Download_No ... DgodqBO1aA
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

ElMano, Chord Pick Out looks like a very useful tool. Thanks!
That boy ain't right...,

LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

ElMano wrote:Hay Lefty Blues Maybe this can help you to get what you want. Even the free trial should do the job Sometimes when its not a blues progression i can not find som chords. Then i pick up this start a trial version and found out. :baby:

succes: http://www.chordpickout.com/Download_No ... DgodqBO1aA
This looks like a great program and would probably limit my posts about chords and stuff :high5: but I can't seem to find where to download the free trial. It's probably right under my nose and I'm just being stupid, but could someone tell me where it is?
Blindboy wrote:That is a sweet version!
It's a blues in G... G, C, and D. You can imply a major with the hammer on like Eric is doing on the one chord, I would use 9th or 7th chords for the 4 and 5. You can imply those without committing if you pick the notes from the chords right.
I can hear the C and D played as a 9th, but I'm having trouble with the G. Whats the structure of the song, is it:

I I I I or is it something else?
IV IV I I
V IV I I?

I really appreciate the help guys. I know I post a lot about chords and stuff, but I'm just terrible with it. Thanks
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

Fortunately I found the free trial after another look :D . But unfortunately, the free trial part cuts off right before it gets to the part I need (the G chord parts). But thanks ElMano, this will definitely help me for other songs (already used it for a B.B. King song)
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

I don't know how fare your theoretical knowledge goes? But Did you ever seen the CADGED system? There are very good explanations and You Tube clips tthat can helps you find the right chords.

http://www.cagedguitarsystem.net/

and the variant of it

http://guitarwithlee.com/lessons/caged/ ... umber1.htm

There is also an other system to find out for me by using the single notes on the fretboard. I use this Chart.

http://www.guitar-theory-in-depth.com/g ... chart.html

ore one of these
ClickClik
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

This tune would be a I I IV V(I IV V in G)...correct?
That boy ain't right...,

LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

DeaconBlues wrote:This tune would be a I I IV V(I IV V in G)...correct?
i kinda understand that. Maybe if it was laid out with a chord for each bar i could understand better.

I also still can't figure out where the G chord fits into this and its driving me crazy lol :wall:
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

The song is indeed in "G". I do, however, see the problem you are having...I think. The song is being played in the "A" barre chord shape rather than the more familiar "E" shape barre chord.

Watching Beck's slide work, it appears he is playing in the same key an octave up using the open "G".

I IV V in G=G/C/D
This song is:G/G/C/D

This is based on my limited knowledge of the Circle of 5ths. Please correct me, if I'm wrong.
That boy ain't right...,

DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

:shy: Ok, I misspoke Eric is not using the "A" barre chord shape. After watching the video several more times, it appears that he is doing more as Blindboy "implied". :cool:

I'll go back to my guitar room now... :away: and practice :guitarist: .
That boy ain't right...,