What are you listening to now?

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
Strummer07

Re: What are you listening to now?

Post by Strummer07 »

Been Listening a lot just lately to two super CD's

The new CD from Joanne Shaw Taylor "Diamonds in the Dirt" ... super CD, great guitar and supeb bluesy voice ..... .and from a young and very foxy looking lady !!

Peter Green ... Hot Foot powder :thumbsup: ............his version of Robert Johnson songs ..............every one a delight ...but Love in vain Blues and Dead Shrimp Blues stand out as superlative for me

Trying hard to really like and engage with the new Buddy Guy CD ...."Living Proof" ..But I'm failing ... not a patch on Skin Deep and how it won a grammy is beyond me ...its not a bad CD .but it's a bit indulgent and just average really.

But the CD that is now forcing the others OFF my playlist ......ias the much awaitied ( 14 years since the last solo CD !!) Gregg Allman album " Low Country Blues " Super CD Produced by T-bone Burnett .............Gregg is in good voice and backed ( amongst others) by Dr John and Doyle Bramhall III, Plus T Bone himself ....so great guitar work

Quote from a review
A No -nonsense blues set, with tributes to early heroes from Skip James to Muddy Waters, BB King and Otis Rush, and it succeeds both because of Allman's vocals and Burnett's varied, uncluttered production work. So the Sleepy John Estes song Floating Bridge is treated to a tight, slinky treatment that's as insistent as a JJ Cale song, Skip James's Devil Got My Woman is a rumbling acoustic workout with Allman supplying impressively high and plaintive vocals, BB King's Please Accept My Love is upbeat and melodic, and Amos Milburn's Tears, Tears, Tears is a soulful, brass-backed weepie with a fine piano solo from Dr John. No great surprises, maybe, but it's good to find he can still deliver.
Unquote

a Good 4 star plus ..........."Must" Listen !! ...........
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Strummer07 wrote:Been Listening a lot just lately to two super CD's

The new CD from Joanne Shaw Taylor "Diamonds in the Dirt" ... super CD, great guitar and supeb bluesy voice ..... .and from a young and very foxy looking lady !!

Peter Green ... Hot Foot powder :thumbsup: ............his version of Robert Johnson songs ..............every one a delight ...but Love in vain Blues and Dead Shrimp Blues stand out as superlative for me
SNAP!!!! Both these are in my current little collection in the car. Joanne Shaw Taylor's first CD "White Sugar" is also in the car - well worth a listen. I do love the husky bluesy voice.

"Love in Vain Blues" and "Dead Shrimp Blues" are both stand out tracks - agreed - though I feel a bit funny about Dead Shrimp knowing what he's singing about. :lol:

Maybe I should check out the Greg Allman after your rave review.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
kiwiclapton

Post by kiwiclapton »

It's Friday, I've just found out some guys I know in Christchurch are well and safe despite the death and carnage . So I've plugged in the iPhone and we're listening Cream' s Disrael Gears. Yeah .
In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand, Amen.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Dave Allen, Lord Have Mercy. I never heard of the guy before yesterday when I heard him on XM's Bluesville station and was struck by his bluesy tone. Turns out he was playing soulful blues since the 60's but died way too young. :sad:

Also recently listening to Death Don't Have No Mercy by Reverend Gary Davis and covers of it by Grateful Dead.
Cheers!
Mike

"A broken angel sings
From a guitar"
wildwood

Post by wildwood »

Right now...? Rory Gallagher - Calling Card... :cool:
The blues won't get you to heaven but it'll drop you at the front door.
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Died much to young but live for ever in my mind>> Sean Costello

http://youtu.be/_4mMYqr__K0
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
deejaid

Post by deejaid »

Allman Brothers Band Live at Fillmore East. I Love "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" on this album.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

deejaid wrote:Allman Brothers Band Live at Fillmore East. I Love "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" on this album.
KILLER album!
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

stevie ray vaughan.. before that, joe bonamassa, and before that, fleetwood mac live in boston volume 3
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Well Gregg Allmans cd is still getting a play every now and then .. and Joanne Shaw Taylor's two albums also get played in the car a good bit .. good stuff !!
But two new albums have come "into vogue" for me just lately
a) Warren Haynes - "Man in Motion" ...his 1st solo effort for 18 years!!! ...and with an all new band too, (including Ruthie Foster on Backing vocals .. she's good too) ...its a good album for sure . He has a great gravelly voice and a very distinctive guitar sound. For me the album is a but like the "Curates Egg"..... its got some great tracks ..and there are some OK tracks where ( for me) he just gets too jazzy... ) If I could cut out a few tracks .. i'd probably listen to it a bit more .so I need to get my fave tracks onto an I-pod play list and leave the CD at home..............For me the Allman CD offering is a better album .. but Haynes is worth listening to.
b) the lastest album in my Collection is "Revalator" from the Tedeschi /Trucks Band ... all 11 of them. ( so oddly a link to the Allman Brother band in all 3 CD's ) this is pretty much the set that they are touring with right now.........and on the album each track is well worked and its a great bunch of tunes.....I am completly hooked on "Midnight in Harlem" .. which is a great track.....but its by no means the only one.

Its a consistently good album and that makes it tough to select "stand out" tracks .............the restrained "These Walls" is lovely and some interesting guitar work from Trucks - I also really like "Learn How To Love" - one the album's most bluesy tracks - and also the slow soul burner "Until You Remember", with beautiful restrained brass and Stax-style backing. ( Its a good horn section and really adds something Live and on the CD)
A small regret about the album is that Trucks's usual Vocalist Mike Mattison is relegated to a backing vocalist, ( As he is on the tour) I'd have liked him to be given at least one song on the CD.

It well deserves 4 Stars **** and possibly nudges 5 in places.
This I reckon is a must listen CD .................but all three ........Allman / Haynes and Tedeschi/Trucks .. are worth owning...and are essential listening !! :thumbsup:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

Sister Rosetta Tharpe. :oldie: :peace: :music2:
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I only get to listen to snippets - often in the car - no time for anything any more! A varied mix of snippets this last week or so:-

Joanne Shaw Taylor - "White Sugar", and a John Lee Hooker compilation on the blues side.

Riversides new mini CD "Memories in My Head" and the two Lunatic Soul CDs (spin off from Riversides Bass Player/vocalist/writer) on the prog side.

"Ambient 4 / On Land" by Brian Eno on the .... errr .... ambient side. Made in 1982 and you can hear how very influential Eno's been to film music / mood music.

Highlights how I don't listen to enough blues - that's why my blues licks / playing have a lot of work needed on them. Oh dear! :alright:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
roswellj

Post by roswellj »

Right now listening to Ladysmith black mambazo's cover of Ain't no sunshine, not blues but a great song all the same.
http://youtu.be/owCJFW3T6Wg
Been listening to Robert Johnson all day though.
deltabluesrookie

Post by deltabluesrookie »

Today I got some Son House playin
"I'm Bad...like Jesse james"
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Right now It's a lot off blues guys on youtube. I'm search for som slow blues that I maby, just maby, can learn somthing from.
So. It's mostly bluse that goes in slow and medium tempo.
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

Archie Shepp & Horace Parlan, 'Trouble In Mind' album. Not a guitar in sight, but great to play along to!! :music2:
LIVNDEESBLUS

Post by LIVNDEESBLUS »

Pinetop Perkins Sweet Little Angel
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Somewhat similar to Strummer, I've been listening to Joane Shaw Taylor's Diamonds in the Dirt, Gov't Mule's By a Thread (Warren Haynes' band, with a cameo from Billy Gibbons) and the Tedeschi Trucks Band's Revelator. Looking forward to the next John Mayer album, whenever it's released. It should have been out by now!! :wall:
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

Hey LIVNDEESBLUS.
Just been listening to Pinetop Perkins. Forgotten all about him for years! Great Blues piano and vocals - and again - wonderful to jam along.
Thanks for the post. :lol: :cool:
DeepDrummer

Post by DeepDrummer »

B.B King - Outside help (thanks to 12bar's post as a reminder).
I'll be sifting through this thread for a while checking out some great blues.
Great thread btw.
Music is in my Soul and the Blues Makes me whole.