dexterity

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
spoonful

dexterity

Post by spoonful »

:sad: During autumn I've been traning dexterity for about 30 minutes almost every night to get the right fluidity and clean hits on the strings.Then I took an unwanted break because of work overload and now I suddenly feel way behind in my movements. Forearm hurts some and fingers feel stiff. Is that so that you can loose what you been building up for months in just a couple of weeks? What's your experiences of say like monthly "breaks" in your playing regarding dexterity? Does it take shorter time to get back to the same level you had before than starting all over again? :sad:
12bar
Site Admin

Re: dexterity

Post by 12bar »

I think it depends a lot on your genes and age. Although I do a little bit martial arts (for oldies :oldie: ) and we always do our dexterity exercises, I'm quite stiff. My Grandma never did any sports or gymnastics and could bend her arms and legs in a way I never reached. I don't do any guitar specific exercises, I just play. I've tried some, but soon my arm began to hurt and I so stopped it. There are licks I simply can't play, but that's not a problem for me. Django played with two fingers only...
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

I think a big YES..... :big_smile:

Why?, well if you doing something new and your training hard every dag you get for 100 % ( i hope i have the word right) myalgia (muscle pain). :tears:

It's like riding a bike, when your young your riding fast and making stunts, now you do no riding at all, but if you are on a bike again, in the beginning it difficult and some days later your riding normal. :wink:

I think its the same with the guitar, in the beginning its hard and you have pain, but after that you play like you never did.

When you started play guitar you have also in the beginning pain at your finger tops?, and now its gone.
If you stop playing for a while and later on your starting again your fingers get also a little painful, but after a day or 2 its gone, and when your started it needs a week to get of that feeling in your tops, right or not??

Sow i think wen you get doing that special exercise to get your dexterity beter, it will maybe beter then when your started.
Maybe you must do it for a 10 min. or so and a week later 15 min. and a week later on 20 min. enz enz then your muscle get use to it....

I hope it gets over very soon.

Sorry for my bat english and even the windows translator is not that good :shy:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
deltabluesrookie

Post by deltabluesrookie »

I also practice Martial arts, Aikido. In this art we do a lot of stretching the Hands and fingers with specific stretches, because we do joint locks and throws. These stretches are GREAT stretches for guitar playing. Just look up Aikido hand stretches on you tube. They work.

My two cents
"I'm Bad...like Jesse james"