Travelin' Alone

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
feare

Travelin' Alone

Post by feare »

Anyone know where I can find some tabs to this song? I'm very interested in learning how to play it.

I've decided to get back into finger picking (i started out on classical guitar), but am taking the Jeff Beck/Clapton approach with the combination of the thumb and index. Its not something I could use for everything... I prefer the fleshy part of my fingers so its hard to play loud. The hardest part for me is muting the other strings when I do a large bend so they don't ring when I bring them back down -_-

There's certain things that sound much better with fingers and others (more rock-ish blues) that don't. I really don't get how Jeff Beck does what he does.
tombstone

Re: Travelin' Alone

Post by tombstone »

I would tab it out, but I don't have a guitar with me at the moment. I know Eric plays it with a cape on 2 (the electric version at least, I don't know if he capoed when he played acoustic on tour). It was pretty easy to figure out though, I just grabbed my gitbox and listened to the track a few times.

One thing about Jeff: Yes he plays with his fingers, but he pretty much has a second picking hand in the form of his whammy bar, and that is where he gets a lot of his speed and a great deal of his characteristic sound.
I used to be tombstoneblues.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: to the forum!

I can tab it out, but not before Xmas - too busy. :icon_whoknows:
I only play fingerstyle, I just can't get used to a pick. There are many things I can't play, but this is to my limited overall technique and missing practice... :lol:
For shredding parts Jeff is using his index finger tip like a pick - it looks as if he has a pick, stabilized with his thumb, but it's actually just a finger.
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

I didn't know anyone else played like that! :yikes:

I often play with my index finger and thumb pressed together as if holding a pick, comes from years of picking up a guitar and not having a pick handy :lol: It wears down the nail on my index finger, but it makes it very easy to switch from "pick" style to fingerpicking and back again. Or to play one note with my index finger/nail and the next with my thumb.

I guess it would be hard to spot someone playing like that unless you're looking closely at their fingers, but I've never seen anyone else do it.
tombstone

Post by tombstone »

E|----------------------------------------5-----------------------
B|-----------------6--7-----5--------5h8-----8--5-----------------
G|--4h5-----------------7-----5-------------------7--5-----------
D|--------7--5--2-----------------7----------------------7--5--7--
A|----------------------------------------------------------------
E|----------------------------------------------------------------

and the Dm (pretty sure its a dm)
E|-------------------------------------
B|--5h6--5-----------6--7-----5--------
G|----------7--5--2--------7-----5-----
D|----------------------------------7--
A|-------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------

and the E (again, pretty sure its an E or Em)

E|----------------------------
B|----------------------------
G|--7--7--5--9--5--7/9--5-----
D|--7--7--5--9-------------7--
A|----------------------------
E|----------------------------

That should get you started. For the flourishes after the main lick he usually plays something lower than what I tabbed, but its all just in and around the Am blues scale so it should not be too tough to figure out. Make sure to listen to the track for timing, as my tabs are probably not accurate in that respect.
tombstone

Post by tombstone »

Also, I do recommend a capo on the 2nd fret, makes this much easier to play. Not that it is terribly difficult, but for playing and singing at the same time (which is what I mostly do) it helps a lot.
feare

Post by feare »

Thanks for the tabs, I'll try them out tomorrow. I figured it was in Am, but thats it.

In terms of the fingerpicking discussion.. I occasionally do what you guys described about using the index finger with support from the thumb when I want to play fast. Creates a rather hollow sound but it actually sounds pretty nice.

I love plucking notes when playing the blues, tbh. :P