Favorite blues chords

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
cruisemates

Favorite blues chords

Post by cruisemates »

How many of you guys pretty much stick to the standard pinky hitting the sixth/seventh of your barre chord while playing the blues, and how many of you go for the jazzier 7 - chords?

These are some of my favorite blues chords (Clapton uses these first two in "Sittin' on top of the World" and other places)

1 -------5----------------------5--------7-------------------------------------------------------
1 -------5-------------5--------5--------5---------------------------------------------------------
1 -------5-------------4--------5--------5---------------------------------------------------------
1 -------4-------------5--------5--------5--------------------------------------------------------
1 -------5-------------4--------x--------x-------------------------------------------------------
1 -------------------------------5--------x------------------------------------------------------
- - - - -D9 - - - - - - A9 - - - Amin7 - Amin9

The third chord is just a simple minor chord I use a lot, you use your second finger for the low string and ket it mute the A-string, then you flatten out your thrid finger for the rest of the notes.

The last chord is what I use for the last chord in the song "Badge"
cruisemates

Re: Favorite blues chords

Post by cruisemates »

these are a couple of variations on the above
1 -----------x-------------5-------------------------------------------------------------------
1 -----------x-------------5-------------------------------------------------------------------
1 -----------10------------4---------------------------------------------------------------------
1 -----------9-------------5--------------------------------------------------------------------
1 -----------10------------4----------------------------------------------------------------------
1 -----------x-------------x---------------------------------------------------------------------

The first is like a G-Dom7 chord, but with just three notes it works well for heavy distorion sounds. The second is the same A9 as above, but I added the high A just so the tonic note is in the chord. I just flatten out my pinky so it covers both of the high strings.

- - - - - -

Below are the ways I play diminished and augmented chords (a bit different from what you usually see). I like the diminished chord because it uses all 6 strings (barre on 5th fret), unlike the usual 4-string version you usually see. I like the augmented because it is easy to play being a familiar chord shape.

1 -----5-------------------------------x---------------------------------------------------------
1 -----7-------------------------------5---------------------------------------------------------
1 -----5-------------------------------5--------------------------------------------------------
1 -----7-------------------------------6---------------------------------------------------------
1 -----6-------------------------------7---------------------------------------------------------
1 -----5-------------------------------x---------------------------------------------------------

A - C - Eb - Gb diminished - - - E-augmented