Your favorite licks

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
cruisemates

Your favorite licks

Post by cruisemates »

1 ---------------------------------------10--13---10--------------------------------------------
1 -----------------------10--12--13--------------------13--12--10-------------------------------
1 ---------10--12--13------------------------------------------------13--12--10-----------------
1 ----12--------------------------------------------------------------------------12--10---------
1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an idea - everyone tab out some of your favorite licks (keep them short). One of my oractice licks is above. If you COPY and PASTE the tab above you can easily change it to your lick just by changing out numbers for dashes.

Here is one of my favorite tricks - in the key of E

1 ---------7---7--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ---------7---7--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ----------------9--7--9----------5--7--5--------------------------------------------------------
1 ----------------------------------------------7-----------------------------------------------

1 ----------------9--7--9----------5--(6)--------------------------------------------------------
1 ----------------------------------------------7---5-------------------------------------------
1 --------------------------------------------------------7------------------------------------

1 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(make your own tab out of this)
Strummer07

Re: Your favorite licks

Post by Strummer07 »

What a ruddy good idea cruiseM

Good way to get a nice librarry of top licks ........it also helps when you stop and think about what it is that you do play about with anyway

So here's an offering ........

One I like ..Clapton origins ( perhaps outside Woman Blues) j I think........... .but he probably nicked it off a King or two !!
and I've tailored it a bit anyway it anyway

Key of Am I think ...................works in a good few places tho

E-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G ----------------------5------7-----7 bu 8 rtrn 7 -----5--------------5bu--6-----------------
D ---------5--s--7 ---------------------------------------------7--------------------7-----------
A ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No sure what symbol to use for a slide so 's' marks the spot !!

or a little double stopper .......

E-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B --8---8---8---8---8------7---5---------------7-----------5-------------------------------------
G --9---9---9---9---9------7---5---------------7-----------5------------------------------------
D -------------------------------------7---7----------7------------7---------------------------
A ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

E -----5--5--5--5-------5-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G --------5--7--7-s-8--8-s-7-p-5-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
D -----7-----------------------------7------------------------------------------------------------------
A ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a variation of the lick I used at the beginning of my verse in the Groaning collab. (I say variation, because I don't remember exactly what I did, and I build a lot of phrases around this basic technique)
I barre the top four strings with my index finger at the fifth fret and play the notes on the D and G strings with my thumb or a pick, while plucking the high E string with my ring finger.
This lick can be the basis for almost endless variations. I probably copped it from SRV, but a lot of other blues players use it, and if you file off the serial number, change the lines a bit, and repaint it, it can be yours too. :big_smile:
(s=slide, p=pull off) Key of A.
Last edited by Blindboy on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
wildwood

Post by wildwood »

I really like this topic cruise...like Strummer says it's a great way to build up our lick libraries. I haven't written much tab but I'll give it a shot.

/// = slide
~~~ = vibrato
(b) = bend
(h) = hammer on
(p) = pull off
(m) = mute

Here is a little intro that I like...

1 ----------------------3~~~-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1 -------------3----------------5(let ring)----3--------3----5~~~--------------------------------
1 ----///4---------4-------------------------------4----------------------------------------------
1 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is a rhythm thing (ala Keith Richards) that I have been working on. I wrote it (??...plagiarism...??) after listening to Midnight Rambler off the YaYa album. I would like to extend it and add some embelishments to it if anyone has any suggestions.

1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ---------------------------------------7------5(h)6(m)---------------------------------------
1 ---------------------------------------7------5------------------------------------------------
1 ---7------7--7------7--7-------------------------------------7--7------7--7------------------
1 ---5------5--5------5--5------5------------------------------5--5------5--5------------------

Thumb on the low E string for this...
The blues won't get you to heaven but it'll drop you at the front door.
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

Here's one I enjoy. The original idea came from T-Bone Walker!

I----------------8------11BU----8--------8---------------------------------------------------------------I
I------------8------------------------10-------11PO10PO8---------------10--------8-------------------I
I----8HO9----------------------------------------------------10PO8------10--------8HO9--------------I
I------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1o--------I
I-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I
I-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I

HO=Hammer on
PO=Pull off

Sounds best quite fast!
This one is sort of Freddy Kingish!
E I---/---10-10--10--10--10----\ 9-------\ 7-------------------I
B I---/---12 -12--12-12--12----\ 10------\ 8BU----------------I
GI---------------------------------------------------9-------------I
Slow or fast! (/=slide up into, \=slide down into)
Have fun. :oldie:
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

The only thing I want to ask is that you include what KEY the licks are in - although it seems pretty apparent. these are cool.

Key of A

1 --------------------------------5-----------------------------8------------------------------------
1 ----------------------5---7--------7---/ 10--(let ring)-----------------------------------------------------
1 --------------5-6-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ----------7-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a simple but effective Clapton Habit: Key of D

1 ------(12 bu to 13)--12-10----12-----10------------------------------------------10--
1 -----------------------------------------------------12----10-----------12-----------------

---------*----------------------------*-----------------*--------------------*-------------*
-----------b5------------4- m3-----4-----m3--------R----- m7----------R----------- m3
asteriks show the beat - it's:
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

I tried everyone's licks - very cool. Some I do regularly and some I should try to do more often.

Here is a weird thing I do in my playing. I often stretch for the minor third with my pinky on the next string down. Does anyone else do this? I find it helps me transition from one position to the next.
Key of E:

1 --------------7-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ------9-------------9----7---------------7----5----------------------------------------------------------
1 --------------------------------10---------------------7----5-----7-------------------------------------

-------3------1------3-----1-----4--------1 \---1-----3-----1-----3 --------- FINGERS

I also sometimes play this: ( Key of A )

1 -----8---7---5--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 -------------------8----7----5---------------------------------------------------------------------
1 -----------------------------------8----7----5------------------------------------------------------
1 ----------------------------------------------------7-----5-----------5--------------------------------
1 ---------------------------------------------------------------7--------------7---5----7---------------

Like this:

1 ----8----7-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 --------------10-----8----7-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ---------------------------------9 ----8----7----------------------------------------------------------
1 ------------------------------------------------10-----7------------7-----5---------------------------------
1 --------------------------------------------------------------10-----------------7----5-----7------------

I am not saying I recommend it, but it is a way to see how the two "shapes" fit together. As far as Blues shapes go, I have seen the one below referred to as the Clapton shape, which I saw one comment somewhere say was limited and somewhat useless. But it is also one where some of the coolest rock riffs ever have come from. (Key of A)

1 ---------------------------------------------12---------15-----17-------------------------------------------
1 ------------------------------13-----15----(bu 17)---------------------------------------------------------
1 -------------12-----14-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 -----14-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------- e ----- g -----a ------ c -----d ------- e -------- g ----- a -----------

Second 16 bars of first solo in - Crossroads
Solo - Back in the USSR
Solo - Birthday (Beatles)
Solo - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Intro - Drive My Car (this is the only one in "D", the rest are in "A")
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Only just found this Forum. There's some very helpful stuff for every range of player.
Well done everyone. 8-)
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Welcome SteveB :welcome:

Enjoy the board ...its a top place if Blues is your thang !!

Say a bit about yourself ...............and why don't you add a wee favorite lick of your own just to keep this excellent thread a goin' !!
Gary Moore 1952-2011
davidvg

Post by davidvg »

Nice post, I'll try some of them :D
weelie

Post by weelie »

I'd love to try and record some of those... for you to hear how different they sound me playing them from your tab tahn what you in your head hear them to be... :D
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

Here's my favorite... strictly taken from one of my lesson books "Blues You Can Use" by John Ganapes (hope that's OK...) The tune is titled "Swinging The Blues". Key of A.

1 ------------------------5-----5-----------5--------------------------------------------------------------
1 ----------------5------------------------------8----5----------------------------------------------------
1 -----5---h6-----------------------------------------------7----5--------5----7---6---------------------
1 --------------------------------------------------------------------7---------------------------7---5----
1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty simple and easy to play but I like the sound :cool:
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
weelie

Post by weelie »

Golfxzq wrote:Here's my favorite... strictly taken from one of my lesson books "Blues You Can Use" by John Ganapes (hope that's OK...) The tune is titled "Swinging The Blues". Key of A.

1 ------------------------5-----5-----------5--------------------------------------------------------------
1 ----------------5------------------------------8----5----------------------------------------------------
1 -----5---h6-----------------------------------------------7----5--------5----7---6---------------------
1 --------------------------------------------------------------------7---------------------------7---5----

Pretty simple and easy to play but I like the sound :cool:
That's a great book. Looks like the lick is right outta the T-Bone Walker set.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

"Blues you Can Use" ... Agree .top book to learn from .....Good Lick too !!

Why , when you see a decent lick tabbed ..........are they so simple !! So Blindingly Obvious and amazingly effective??

and why , (without the tab) do they not just spring off the fretboard when you are noodling with scales ?? :icon_whoknows:
Gary Moore 1952-2011
davidvg

Post by davidvg »

Strummer07 wrote: Why , when you see a decent lick tabbed ..........are they so simple !! So Blindingly Obvious and amazingly effective??
and why , (without the tab) do they not just spring off the fretboard when you are noodling with scales ?? :icon_whoknows:
Absolutely! :wall:
:D
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

I tend to learn to play these licks from the tab and then I think, "Well, that really doesn't sound like much".

Then I find an audio or video recording of the artist actually playing the lick and I think, "Wow! So that's what it's supposed to sound like! Are those really the same notes that I learned?" Of course they are.

It's a real limitation that tab doesn't convey timing information. It may provide a hint by the spacing of the numbers - but that doesn't seem adequate. Maybe when you get good enough at lots of licks you can look at new tab and recognize it as a variation of something you already know.

Are there any other hints as to what the tab is actually supposed to sound like?
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

MojoJim wrote: Are there any other hints as to what the tab is actually supposed to sound like?
I usually work with tab in tandem with a recording of the material I am learning.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

I love the idea for the post. It would help if you added an example (say which song the lick can be heard in and the time). Just an idea.
Let me tell you what the blues is....
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Here's a link to 25 licks.............. .all free

This guy has just done a 12 week guitar course ..vids and all .....all free so its not all money grabbing bu**ers out there on the net

These 25 are useful ................its good to have a few stock riffs up your sleeve and all in one place wso you can run through them / use as part of a practise routine etc

http://12weekguitarcourse.com/25RiffsYouMustKnow.pdf

Enjoy !!
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

This just arrived this morning .. a lick in a lesson plus tab

sounds quite cool , might try it out this afternoon !!

http://www.guitartricks.com/courselesso ... dium=email
Gary Moore 1952-2011