Hello from Colorado

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
DTut

Hello from Colorado

Post by DTut »

Howdy,
I just started electric guitar with playing blues solos as my long term (I can tell it's going to be long...) goal. I've played classical guitar for 30 years but am now drawn to blues guitar. As you can imagine, this is a major change but I'm a little burned out on classical and more than ready to give the blues world a try. The big difference for me is the neck on a electric is so thin compared to what I'm used to.

Anyway, I look forward to reading and learning lots on this forum!

Cheers, --Dave
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Colorado

Post by 12bar »

Welcome on board! :welcome:

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun once you get used to the smaller neck! :dance:
It may take a bit longer to get into the world of improvisation but it's worth the time. :music2:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Welcome to the forum Dave. :D

The move from classical to blues sounds familiar!

As does the "little burned out on classical" phrase.

I recall just how happy I was with moving to the blues genre where there was more freedom and possibilities for self expression.
You're right about the long term. Blues has some simple basics to it, but to harness those principles and get a real blues feel to the music is a long, but rewarding road.
"Hawkeye" Herman, a blues teacher I learned a lot from on-line, who himself learned one to one from the likes of Son House, advises that the budding blues player should enjoy the journey and not worry about the destination. He also says, after 50 years of performing, that there is still much to learn.

Have fun!!! :banana:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Welcome to the forum. I live not too far from you (compared to most members) in northern NM. Good luck on your blues journey. The classical training should help more than hinder you.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
DTut

Post by DTut »

Thanks for the encouragement. It's nice to see the word "fun" bandied about here!
fenson

Post by fenson »

:welcome: Dave
Agree with Gerd, everything you've already learn on the classical guitar will always be of a great help
to go electric :D
As far as I remember, yet I've post some Nylon Strings Blues on this forum, one can play the Blues with any instrument hopefully, and that's pretty :cool: to do :big_smile:
:beer:
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.