New guy saying hi

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
SlideNGo

New guy saying hi

Post by SlideNGo »

Howdy. So I'm new here. New to slide guitar playing. Not new to playing guitar or finger picking for that matter. Don't use a pick at all and plan to keep it that way especially since I'm already (almost) over the hump. :-)

I would like to solicit a few ideas on some slower openG blues songs.

Gosh, I'm playing Walking Blues from Clapton and I'm having a bit of a hard time to blend the playing with the singing. I don't usually have a problem with rhytm but this one feels almost counterintuitive. Maybe I just need to play it more and get used to it. Separately, singing it I nail it and separately playing it is good enough for now...

Cheers
12bar
Site Admin

Re: New guy saying hi

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: to the forum. :wave:

Feel free to share some of your recordings! Many of us don't even sing a note (including me), so being able to sing is already a big step forward. :big_smile:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:welcome: to the forum SlideNGo. :D

I'm with you on the use of fingers rather than a pick. :thumbsup: I've only really dabbled a bit with slide and singing. Singing and playing at the same time on ANY song is a major challenge for me resulting in a recording of guitar part first while imagining the vocal line - then overdubbing vocals - a terrible cheat I know, but it avoids a horror story.

I have also only dabbled in OpenG as far as blues goes, though I have used the tuning for acoustic improvs and old traditional celtic works. I find that bottom string a bit pesky and not much use in that tuning and can see why Keef discarded it!

I reckon that mostly any blues slide I've done has been OpenE. I'll also admit that any of my slide playing is done with no reference to how a particular player does it - my only aim is to at least have it sounding half decent.

So I'm not sure I can bring much illumination to any queries you might have. But feel free to post about specific issues and I will try and make sensible suggestions! :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
zimmie

Post by zimmie »

Hi there and welcome friend :))
Newbie myself and enjoying the forum.
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

I'm not as eloquent as many others in this forum so it will be a short welcome and hope you stay.

:welcome: from Sweden
SlideNGo

Post by SlideNGo »

Thanks for the warm welcome. The skies opened and a miracle happened in the form of a Academy of Modern Music moving into a building 200 steps from my work. So I rented 1 hour twice per week at lunch time! Yay. Going to play today and practice the song again. Will report progress while slowly start looking for another song to learn.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

12bar wrote:Many of us don't even sing a note (including me), so being able to sing is already a big step forward.
I've never let not being able to sing stop me from trying; then again, I only sing in the privacy of my own home. And my singing is only marginally worse than my guitar playing. :away:
Cheers!
Mike

"A broken angel sings
From a guitar"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

SlideNGo wrote:Will report progress while slowly start looking for another song to learn.
Any progress? :wink:
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Looks like he slid n went! :away: